Alton Towers General Discussion

themeparkmad

26 minutes ago, ThorpeAddict said:

Galactica has had another few weeks down now I believe? 

Towers seriously are not having a good season reliability/operational wise

Corrected that for you ;)

They are currently awaiting a part from B&M, which is taking time to actually manufacturer.  Real shame, but it it's that severe, I guess it's one of those 'unfortunate, can't be helped' situations. 

22 hours ago, MattyMoo said:

Fun times at AT today. Galactica and Enterprise currently closed... Rita 130 mins, Smiler 120 mins, Nemesis 120 mins, Thirteen 90 mins, Spinball 90 mins, Oblivion 70 mins, Mine Train 50 mins.

Choo choo!

Good grief ?? that's insane!

18 hours ago, BaronC. said:

Corrected that for you ;)

They are currently awaiting a part from B&M, which is taking time to actually manufacturer.  Real shame, but it it's that severe, I guess it's one of those 'unfortunate, can't be helped' situations. 

It reopened yesterday, just in time for the quietest part of summer.

• 2 weeks later...

The following is quite a long story, but it gets to a point.

Today when waiting for Galactica (I decided to ditch my parents), whilst in the line for station 2, a boy comes into the queue (who had also ditched his parents), noticed my hoodie and asked me if I was an enthusiast (based on the fact I was wearing an 'Amity Speedway' hoodie). We then got talking about coasters like any two enthusiasts would. 

Soon after, we got to the front of the queue and he requested that we both wait for front row, but the host declined the request and pointed us to row 2.

However, in the front row there were two ladies who saw that this boy really wanted to go at the front and offered to swap with us (they weren't as fussed about it as he was). I could see the world light up in front of him when this happened. But get this, the host then came up to us and asked us to go back to our original airgates which really upset this boy. I honestly didn't think this was necessary, two ladies commiting a friendly gesture to a young boy for it to just be refused by a member of staff. I'm not sure she realised how much front row rides mean to young dedicated enthusiasts.

I know a lot of this is related to park policy, but I feel like there should be some adjustments. I think assigned seating is fair, but only on the basis that there is a front row queue (I would also add back row queue, but that's really pushing it). My logic is that if one is willing to wait extra for front row, they deserve front row. I've never liked the fact that whether you get front row is up to chance, especially when you and another pair somewhere else in the queue have been waiting the same 2 hours yet they get the front and you end up on row 6 (just an example).

I know this may sound like I'm making a fuss out of nothing, but it really does affect certain enthusiasts.

TBH the MAP and Premium Annual Pass are good enough value as it is.

TBF the passes are actually one my main positives about Merlin, as you get free entry to so many different attractions, heck, I use my pass like every week..

I really don't understand the stupid facebook comments.. Like the VIP holders do have to pay like £725 for their passes.. So they will obviously get some perks you won't..

In fairness last year there was Thorpe Park Summer Nights (x2) and a Thorpe Park Fright Night preview for pass holders, this year neither are happening. (Alton Towers isn't my local park so I'm unsure what, if any, events took place last year). Personally I won't moan about VIPs getting a special event but I understand why people are annoyed. 

On 09/08/2017 at 7:00 PM, Mega-Lite said:

The self entitled nature of a good proportion of Merlin Annual Pass holders makes me sick. Especially the ones who wear them round their necks like they are an all access pass or something, pathetic!

This does tickle me :D Next time I go to Thorpe I'm going to wear an empty Kellogs box round my neck so people know I paid "half price" to get in.

On 8/9/2017 at 7:00 PM, Mega-Lite said:

The self entitled nature of a good proportion of Merlin Annual Pass holders makes me sick. Especially the ones who wear them round their necks like they are an all access pass or something, pathetic!

And the only evidence you need is that facebook group of theirs. My mum is a part of it and there isn't a day they're not moaning about either something perfectly normal, a rule they don't like or something out of the parks control.

I've never understood the wearing passes around necks thing... It's ASKING for them to be nicked or something...

One of the worst times was when Chessie (and I think maybe the others?) had the novel idea of allowing MAP holders to use the Fastrack queues for the last hour of the summer holiday... Needless to say the arrogance and downright anger because everyone took use of it meant it never happened again...

The worst VIP experience when I worked at a park was a VIP passholder who wanted to skip all queues and go up the exit on the park's biggest ride, on a peak day. Host explained his pass didn't entitle him to do that, along with all the other guests trying the same thing. So then the 'VIP' (ie bloke with enough money to throw around on mediocre entertainment) rang up the park's managing director in his office and handed the phone to the host to speak to him, then let him on the ride.

2 minutes ago, Benin said:

I've never understood the wearing passes around necks thing... It's ASKING for them to be nicked or something...

One of the worst times was when Chessie (and I think maybe the others?) had the novel idea of allowing MAP holders to use the Fastrack queues for the last hour of the summer holiday... Needless to say the arrogance and downright anger because everyone took use of it meant it never happened again...

I can understand the VIP holders wearing them as they apparently get offered random things but standard and premium only get discounts with them so not needed but then Merlin love people wearing them as they are spreading the brands and people love being in the club apparently 

1 hour ago, Wumbamillio said:

The worst VIP experience when I worked at a park was a VIP passholder who wanted to skip all queues and go up the exit on the park's biggest ride, on a peak day. Host explained his pass didn't entitle him to do that, along with all the other guests trying the same thing. So then the 'VIP' (ie bloke with enough money to throw around on mediocre entertainment) rang up the park's managing director in his office and handed the phone to the host to speak to him, then let him on the ride.

God, what a spineless company. 

On 8/11/2017 at 3:18 PM, Benin said:

Like, 95% of people who wear their pass around their necks do it to show off. "Ooh, I've got a Merlin Pass, look at me, I got in for free! I get a discount! It's a premium pass, that costs money too!" Plus they want staff to treat them like kings and queens as they walk around. And trust me, every one of them has moaned about something insignificant on Facebook.

• 4 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Benin said:

Do the buses not run from there anymore?

Could always train it to Uttoxeter and get a taxi from there. Will be cheaper I reckon...

Unfortunately all public bus services to Towers have recently ended until Scarefest. It's a little more expensive to get the train to Uttoxeter and it adds an extra 30 mins or so to our journey (coming from Shrewsbury), are the taxis that much cheaper?

Edit: Most of the Uttoxeter services are similarly priced - most services from either are about £20 or more one-way. To be honest I'm looking more for a tried and tested/reliable service than a cheap one.

• 2 months later...

Towers have released opening days (not times for some reason!) for next year.

Park opens for season on Saturday 17th March and closes on Sunday 4th November

Scarefest runs 6th - 7th, 13th - 14th, 19th Oct - 2nd Nov.

Fireworks over 2 days again on 3rd and 4th November. 

Number of closed days throughout the quieter times like this year. 

https://www.altontowers.com/useful-info/opening-times/

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Stuntman707 said:

Towers Times posted a new Q&A with John Wardley where he talks about VR rides, Dark Rides, Flat rides, The UK industry, and half-improving SW8 at the last minute. ;) 

Cheers for posting that on here, would have never found it myself! Always incredibly intresting to hear from people in the industry.