Alton Towers General Discussion

themeparkmad

29 minutes ago, Project LC said:

It's just no film or photography for commercial gain. Private use is fine. 

As discovered yesterday they have a blanket ban on filming on any ride or attraction. 

Can I film

CAN I FILM ON THE RIDES USING A GOPRO/OTHER FILMING EQUIPMENT?

Due to the safety of all our guests, we cannot allow anyone to film on our rides and attractions. 

I don't think even Alton know the rules at this point.. It seems its usually fine with the ride operators and the signage of the ride.. It seems a lot of people use their phone during Rumba and Congo, Sean would know the rules anyway, he worked for Alton for ages!

I think the park's twitter is my main issue though, I am pretty sure Sean has filmed Congo millions of times throughout his dull vlog history, but now it is suddenly a problem?

I think Alton's twitter needs a change in management as holy crap they are a hot mess this year..

6 minutes ago, JoshuaA said:

I don't think even Alton know the rules at this point.. It seems its usually fine with the ride operators and the signage of the ride.. It seems a lot of people use their phone during Rumba and Congo, Sean would know the rules anyway, he worked for Alton for ages!

I think the park's twitter is my main issue though, I am pretty sure Sean has filmed Congo millions of times throughout his dull vlog history, but now it is suddenly a problem?

I think Alton's twitter needs a change in management as holy crap they are a hot mess this year..

It’s only an issue now as someone directly asked Towers, Towers couldn’t ignore it so had to reply with the no message.

I know safety’s first and everything but that is a very blunt, crude and generally unprofessional way of the park’s social media team to deal with that situation.

Based on previous recent posts highlighting similar issues, Towers and Merlin need to either train them better or give them disciplinary/dismissal action. If they continue responding like this, then there’s no wonder why they are receiving so many complaints. 

They are truly feeding the flames.

Cue those comments 

So here's how the story goes now:

Obviously don't take a tweet by TPWW by law, but the senior management perspective is that cameras can be used on Rapids at the owner's risk. 

For a bit of comparison, Thorpe's ruling is that no cameras are allowed on the ride full stop (you can even get told off when the boat is on the turntable). I suppose it's easier for Thorpe, as they can justify a blanket ban on all rides much easier than Towers can.

Whatever the rule is, it's clear there needs to be a behind-the-scenes review of the ruling, and how exactly it is communicated to guests. There is also the ongoing issue of the people responding to tweets needing to have their attitude sorted out.

For my personal opinion, I'm a bit surprised in this slightly overzealous H&S era Merlin are in, they allow cameras on the rapids. Think of some of the risks associated with a rapids ride:

1) There's no restraint, so people could be knocked about / out of their seat.

2) People could drop loose belongings and jump in to retrieve them.

3) Loose belongings could fly out of someone's hand and hit someone else.

4) Potential electric shock (highly unlikely given modern technology, but a potential risk nonetheless from the overzealous perspective).

How can they minimize these risks?

1) Encourage people to hold on, keeping their hands free of loose belongings where possible.

2) & 3) Securing all loose belongings in pockets / bags at all times.

4) Keeping electrical devices away from potential water contact (in bags or pockets).

Allowing people to have cameras and phones on rides increases the risk of accidents and potential injury. Just seems to go against their current H&S stance. Maybe that's a sign they're applying more common sense, but then when you look at other things, like ridiculously high fences and whatever else, it does make you wonder.

To be fair, Thorpe’s ride selection and clientele makes it more justifiable to enforce stricter rules where on-ride photography is concerned. A teenager dropping their phone whilst trying to make a POV on Saw for example could be fatal.

From previous witnesses, strictness of on-ride photography has typically varied on the Rapids. Some may be more relaxed whilst others will be stricter and tell off the offending riders.

This saga has more twists and turns than any given rollercoaster in England.

It's really starting to drag on a bit now. Someone had their camera out on the Rapids, who cares, wouldn't be the first time and it sure as hell won't be the last. Time for Alton to focus on more important things than pathetically arguing with a semi-famous-ish YouTuber over whether he should have taken a photo on the Rapids, despite the fact it's in the past and they can do nothing to change it now.

• 3 weeks later...

Went on Wickerman today and thoroughly enjoyed it more than expected. It’s not got the longest or most impressive layout, but is a great machine and the offers the park a much needed woodie,  experience and ‘family thrill’ attraction. Full review to follow at a later date.

Whilst there were lots of things I liked ( besides Wicker) like the Duel and Gardens TLC, there were some things there I can’t be as positive with unfortunately. The amount of closed F&B units and retail spaces was quite shocking, especially when you consider a park the size of Towers and it’s corporate owner. Five of what was once nine outlets are now closed/mothballed between Katanga Canyon and Forbidden Valley. This has put considerable strain on others that remain open. 

Some rides also remain in a questionable state. Smiler’s aesthetics leave something to be desired and almost everything in the projection room is broken. Congo also seemed to be running a few boats around, which considering how busy and nice the weather was disappointing. 

Towers arent Europa unfortunately, but Merlin could definitely do a lot more for the park than what they currently do, which is a shame to see.  

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Matt Creek said:

Sounds like an average day from the looks.

Building an upcharge Dungeons attraction is clearly going to help more than actually spending the money on maintenance and hardware then.

I mean, they can budget for maintenance and a Dungeons attraction. 

Christ that is another flat gone..

Enterprise and The Blade remain.. Which are also both are at the end of their life..

Merlin really need to add some flat rides/revamp the current ones as the supporting lineup for the park is absolute bollo**s..

Also the whole 'its TLC' crap is kind of annoying now, how they operated Toadstools was anything but love and care..