Alton Towers General Discussion

themeparkmad

Quick question on Scarefest, I've never been when its on so apologies if its a bit basic (although this may not be the best place to ask it) - does anyone know if you can book a maze individually or do you have to book them all?

On the website they have the entrance tickets and you can book '4 scare attractions', but some people I'm going with aren't that big on scare mazes so probably won't want to spend £32 on top of the entrance fee on them.

thanks! :)

9 hours ago, jessica2 said:

Quick question on Scarefest, I've never been when its on so apologies if its a bit basic (although this may not be the best place to ask it) - does anyone know if you can book a maze individually or do you have to book them all?

On the website they have the entrance tickets and you can book '4 scare attractions', but some people I'm going with aren't that big on scare mazes so probably won't want to spend £32 on top of the entrance fee on them.

It's been a long time since I did Scarefest, so I could well be wrong. But it seems to change every year. At some point they had a 'core three' set of mazes, plus a fourth one, with the fourth one only being able to bought individually. I think they've moved away from that now, and heavily push the quartet option, but quietly having options for solo mazes - likely at £10 a pop, and possibly even only available to buy on the day?

Long and short of it is that they'll probably advertise if you can buy single maze tickets once they've announced their line up and full offerings.

With it being the 15th anniversary of Scarefest they're looking at pulling out all the stops for it, as it were. But simply though, I'd be surprised if they didn't offer single maze tickets, as it's a great way to squeeze extra money out of people.

On 7/8/2022 at 10:38 AM, jessica2 said:

Assuming its the same as last year - yes you can book individually. Went last year and only did Darkest Depths as was the only one I could convince my other half to do! Can't remember the price but I do suggest booking a timeslot as soon as you can as the evening slots do go quickly from what we experienced. Its a great event - have fun!

• 1 month later...

Does anyone remember when in 2011 Alton Towers planned to build this area. Far Far Away was proposed to be a rethemed amalgamation of Storybook Land and Old McDonald’s Farmyard. Unfortunately at the last minute Dreamworks pulled out. It’s thought that Dreamworks didn’t like the artist’s plans of the site. Apparently  Dreamworks thought Merlin was inferior to them. It’s a great shame that Dreamworks opted out. A Shrek themed land would have catered for all ages. There’s not many Theme Park areas that Grandparents would enjoy as much as kids.  Who else shares my opinion that it’s a pity the area featured in the linked video didn’t make it to Alton Towers. When I say there isn’t many Theme Park areas that appeal to all,I mean at Alton Towers. Chessington has areas that entertain all. For example Chessington has a large Zoo. This is an area that people who aren’t into rides enjoy. I think 

CBeebies Land that now occupies the plot is geared towards Children under the age of 8. I personally think Alton Towers shot themselves in the foot. Old McDonald’s Farmyard had something for all. The Animals gave people who don’t like rides something to appreciate. Let’s face it who doesn’t love Animals. CBeebies Land in my opinion is an annoying attraction. It wastes a space where a multi generational area or Rollercoaster could be. The programmes on CBeebies change quicker than Alton Towers can adapt to. For example Tree Fu Tom Training Camp and Charlie and Lola’s Moonsquirters And Green Drops have only been rethemed this season. This is despite both programmes being axed years ago. I fear that CBeebies will invade what’s left of Adventureland and result in the removal of Spinball Wizzer (Sonic Spinball).

2 hours ago, Theme Park Fanatic said:

Does anyone remember when in 2011 Alton Towers planned to build this area. Far Far Away was proposed to be a rethemed amalgamation of Storybook Land and Old McDonald’s Farmyard. Unfortunately at the last minute Dreamworks pulled out. It’s thought that Dreamworks didn’t like the artist’s plans of the site. Apparently  Dreamworks thought Merlin was inferior to them. It’s a great shame that Dreamworks opted out. A Shrek themed land would have catered for all ages. There’s not many Theme Park areas that Grandparents would enjoy as much as kids.  Who else shares my opinion that it’s a pity the area featured in the linked video didn’t make it to Alton Towers. When I say there isn’t many Theme Park areas that appeal to all,I mean at Alton Towers. Chessington has areas that entertain all. For example Chessington has a large Zoo. This is an area that people who aren’t into rides enjoy. I think 

CBeebies Land that now occupies the plot is geared towards Children under the age of 8. I personally think Alton Towers shot themselves in the foot. Old McDonald’s Farmyard had something for all. The Animals gave people who don’t like rides something to appreciate. Let’s face it who doesn’t love Animals. CBeebies Land in my opinion is an annoying attraction. It wastes a space where a multi generational area or Rollercoaster could be. The programmes on CBeebies change quicker than Alton Towers can adapt to. For example Tree Fu Tom Training Camp and Charlie and Lola’s Moonsquirters And Green Drops have only been rethemed this season. This is despite both programmes being axed years ago. I fear that CBeebies will invade what’s left of Adventureland and result in the removal of Spinball Wizzer (Sonic Spinball).

Just because an attraction/area isn't to your taste or target market , doesn't make it bad. 

Cbeebies is one of the biggest successes of alton towers in the past 10 years it caters for its age group well, it could do with 1-2 more inclusive rides. But what it is, is great for the people its designed for .

We can only hope Spinball gets removed.

Maybe they can move it to Thorpe with a Top Spin?

Haven't entered the area since they got Octonauts so I don't particularly have much of an opinion towards it. I'll be reevaluating this in a few years mind, but I think it fits well and is definitely popular. Retheming the stuff there as well gives a bit more difference to it as well I suppose as shows come and go far more regularly. 

The Farm was probably slightly more universal but wasn't exactly anything special (unless you grew up with the park). Was less embarrassing for a group of adults to go round there but least the rides actually have visitors now.

Shrek would've been an ugly addition to the park. Merlin probably tried to do their usual cheap nonsense but when you have Universal as another option is it any surprise they'd want more?

@Benin I get what you mean about Merlin’s “cheap nonsense”.Back in 2011 Themeing was not Merlin’s forte. Merlin have since stepped up their game  To be fear in recent years Merlin have opened rides in the Disney league.Tacky themeing is a thing of the past. Merlin have astounded me with many themed rides. Some examples are Tiger Rock/Land Of The Tiger,Croc Drop,Tomb Blaster’s overhaul,The Rainforest,Vampires refurbishment,Wickerman,Blue Barnacle,Lego Mythica,The World Of David Williams and the Wild Asia refresh. Other recent attractions are far from brilliant. The Gruffalo River Ride Adventure Looks like it was largely made by toddlers. 85% of the ride is cardboard cutouts,projections and TVs. I feel like Chessington rethemed Bubbleworks on a low budget. Don’t misunderstand Gruffalo is superior to Bubbleworks Imperial Leather. To be blunt anything would be. If Merlin replaced the Cardboard cutouts,TVs and projections with physical sets the ride would be awesome. At least the Gruffalo kind of of fits into the surrounding area. Following the Imperial Leather Sponsorship Bubbleworks did not. If Dreamworks struck up a contract with Merlin now, the result would be different. I bet the person responsible for Dreamworks pulling out is squirming about it. I would like to congratulate Merlin on seeing their mistakes and stepping up the Theming. I really look forward to experiencing The World Of Jumanji at Chessington next year. I know it’ll rival if not suceed the Lands at the Universal and Disney Theme Parks. 

So they've so far announced darkest depths, the attic and altonville mine tours are returning for scarefest this year, and a new 'scare experience' on the way. I've heard people mention they've seen movement in the nemesis sub terra building, so whether that is related I don't know!

I do think something using the wicker man theme could be a good choice, though not sure where they'd put it.

Now I've not done any of these returning mazes, however from a quick look at their socials, many people are complaining that some of these mazes have been around maybe 6 years now and perhaps they could have done with a bigger reshuffle for the anniversary. If I went annually to scarefest, I imagine I'd have felt the same also.

I'm also hoping they have some decent non-maze things going on, scare zones etc would be great, something akin to the crows of mawkin meadow would be ideal for them imo.

I must admit, although I enjoyed it, Scarefest last year did feel in need of a big overhaul.

Adding new “Scare experiences” is all well and good, but it’s the mazes that most really care about.

It’s well past time for Mine Tours to make way for a new maze at least.

£32 + admission for the mazes is also a bit ridiculous.

Disappointed considering it’s the anniversary. 

• 1 month later...

Was at Towers over the weekend for the first time this year and my first time doing Towers Oktoberfest so thought I'd write up some thoughts.

The only negatives over the weekend was the Rectrosquad and X Sector so I'll get the negatives out the way first.

I'm a big fan of flats and liked the idea at first but can't help but feel they all look so out of place at Towers. As much as I enjoyed Spinjam and it was my favourite out of the flats, it looks really out of place at towers. The waltzer looks dreadful and the only one that looks alright is Funk N Fly. Hearing the music and funfair jingles played at towers just doesn't seem right.

They all seem fairly popular so would love to see them invest in some permanent flats which Alton are desperately crying out for.

X Sector was an absolute mess. The whole area of the 2 coasters look dirty and need a proper clean up.

There was a period of around 2 hours on Saturday when Oblivion and Smiler were down. So obviously without Enterprise, the only open attraction was a temporary fairground ride. Did make me laugh.

Both coasters were running reduced capacity. Smiler ranged from running 2-3 trains over the weekend and Oblivion had 2 seats permanently closed on every shuttle and only running 1 station.

Its a shame as I normally love getting a few re rides on Oblivion, its capable of being one of the highest throughput rides on the park and its being run awfully. I know it can't be helped sometimes but having the coasters on reduced capacity completely defeats the purpose of the extra flats they have in. 

Would love to see them give the area a decent clean up, 1 or 2 permanent flats and sort out the capacity on the coasters. 

The Smiler was running pretty rough. It was nice having the Single rider open for this and it worked really well, would love to see them open a few more of these up on the rides it works well on. It was also nice to see the bagdrop open, glad they've seen sense there as it makes a huge difference to throughput and always has one of the biggest queues on park.

Had plenty of rides on Nemesis which will probably be my last in its current form unless I get there on its last day. By far my favourite UK coaster, I can't help but think its a shame its closing as it still runs so well  but I'm all for them investing in its future! I love how they effortlessly run Nemesis so well, it never stacks and the queue moves so quick.

Wickerman, Galactica, Thirteen were also all running really well and the trains were flying out with no stacking. No bag drop open on Thirteen but were still sending the trains out quick.

Oktoberfest was great, much prefer it to Thorpes. Entertainment carries on for an hour after park close, the lawns had a great atmosphere and was busy till 8pm on the Saturday. No cringey German accents, a proper band, everyone enjoying themselves and having a laugh. 

Will probably not bother with Towers next year with Nemesis closed, its always my main reason for going but looking forward to seeing what they have done with it in 2024. Hopefully the flat ride situation will be sorted out by then too.

What does everyone think the current Duel refurbishment will consist of? I think Emily Alton and Snowy have “repossessed” Duel. I wouldn’t be surprised if riders get to go into the Dolls House and come face to face with Emily and Snowy. I think the original Haunted House theming will remain and incorporated into Emily and Snowy’s Dollhouse. If this doesn’t happen I think the original Haunted House will reserve. Due to the Zombies taking over the Swamp scene I’ll think a totally new scene will be constructed. It’s a great achievement that Emily Alton has evicted the Zombies. The Zombies were in the wrong for claiming Emily’s House in the first place.

23 hours ago, Mark9 said:

I think it will be half arsed attempt at refurbishing the ride. There will be an even looser story than Duel and a lot of the older animatronics will be completely removed. 

@Mark9 your not very hopeful for the Duel refurbishment then? I hope the ride is reversed back to The Haunted House,or rethemed to Emily Alton and Snowy’s Dolls House. A eerie Dolls House would make an epic ride. I hope the queline with the armchairs and Rocking Horse and Garden Scene both remain. I would like to see Emily Alton and Snowy in animatronic form around the ride. My only concern with an Emily Alton retheme would be the redesign to the exterior of The Haunted House. The building is as I would mentally picture a Haunted House. It’s old,slightly run down in appearance and atmospheric. I would even like the original carriages to stay with slight amendments to remove the guns and score boards. I think Alton Towers bodged The Haunted House by transforming it into Duel. A couple of scenes are like your in a The Walking Dead Dark Ride. If the “repossessed” means Emily  and Snowy have evicted the Zombies I congratulate them. I hope Emily packed their bags and ousted them. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Zombies find a new home at Thorpe Park. They’d definitely fit the theme and design.

Why are people obsessed with this Emily Alton thing like she was ever anything more than a queueline gag?

Merlin haven't got the best track record in refurbishments, but setting the expectations to some weird story that never existed because of a pun (repossessed clearly referencing to ghosts in general) is going to result in some disappointment when it's not THEIR vision when it opens.

Original didn't have a storyline, I doubt the refurb will have much of one. And if it does it'll no doubt feel forced in by a hammer (much like the attempts of adding 'story' to Tomb Blaster).

Much like with most of these ideas, the park are far better off redesigning from the ground up rather than attempting some weird nostalgia attempt with modern stuff.

I saw that the one new 'scare experience' will not be a maze in the 'traditional sense'. It looks like it will be like the passing in a way, sort of you lying in the dark with headphones on while someone brushes your leg occasionally. Either way I think its a hard pass for me, but hey here are some shipping container pics from towersstreet:

The other 3 mazes are not changing which understandably has left people annoyed given its supposed to be the scarefest anniversary, and no scare zones which I think is also a shame given theres plenty of room. I think I will do one maze but will wait for staff previews/press night reviews to pick.  

Thanks for the tip. It seems that at alton unless you're booking the 4 maze ticket, you can only buy a £10 per maze ticket on the day on the app or in person. Seems a bit strange, not sure why they want to do it that way vs trying to upsell when people book online!

I was keen to give the invitation/the passing etc a miss this season, even paying £5 for it is too much in my view from the description given lol. Also seems like the two mazes are very similar, I've heard something about a lift mechanism in both.

1 hour ago, Mark9 said:

After a whole season of closure, Towers have now confirmed that Enterprise is no longer at the resort. I'm not sure if I have anything profound to say... I think I rode it twice and it was pretty short. 

WHERE WAS IT'S CLOSING EVENT LIKE NEMESIS IS GETTING??!

1 hour ago, Benin said:

WHERE WAS IT'S CLOSING EVENT LIKE NEMESIS IS GETTING??!

It isn’t just Enterprise that didn’t receive a closing event. Duel closed  without a closing event. I think Nemesis has a closing event as it’s the signature Rollercoaster at Alton Towers. In addition Nemeses is the most popular ride within Alton Towers. Alton Towers wouldn’t be Alton Towers without Nemesis. The rides symbolic to Alton Towers. If you asked someone what’s the name of a ride at Alton Towers they would almost certainly say Nemesis. Nemesis is too Alton Towers what Queen Elizabeth was too London. For a comparison Queen Elizabeth had a televised Funeral so the world could pay their respects. You or I wouldn’t have a televised funeral. This is because we aren’t as iconic as Queen Elizabeth was. Think of a closing event like a funeral where people can pay their respects. Although loved by fans Duel or Enterprise were not iconic like Nemesis.

Enterprises’s official demise was imminent. 

It hasn’t been running reliably for almost a decade, let alone this season. Where it hasn’t rotated fully for a long time. 

Enterprises seem to be a dying breed these days with only some left in existence.

Towers do seriously need to broaden their selection of support attractions, as this leaves Blade is the last family/thrill ride left, which too is on its last legs. 

52 minutes ago, Matt Creek said:

this leaves Blade is the last family/thrill ride left, which too is on its last legs. 

🤯 Wow.

Tbh it's no surprise Enterprise's closure has quietly been made official, but it does "officially" make the situation far worse than it was.

With Nemesis closed next year, and (I assume) Retrosquad going too (???), the number of rides available for non-Cebeebiesers is getting a bit silly for such a high profile park.