Alton Towers General Discussion

themeparkmad

• 2 weeks later...

Really hate the influencers going to an experience and wanting to film the whole thing to make ad revenue on their YouTube channel. £80 still seems like an ok price for a track walk, but the entitlement is through the roof. Influencers think they own the parks nowadays….. If the park want professionally recorded content they will come to the influencers directly.

I was in the area due to work so I thought it would be rude not to pop in Tuesday and Wednesday, so thought I'd share some thoughts from this season below.

I didn't bother visiting with no Nemesis last year so was my first time in a couple years, meaning it was also my first time on the Curse. Was really impressed with this, couldn't comment on what effects were working/broken as I'd never been on before. Easily my favorite dark ride in the UK.

Main reason for visiting was to get as many rides as possible on Nemmy. Got 5 on Tuesday, but was only open half a day so was expecting a better day on Wednesday, but with it only operating with half a train I only went on it twice. One of them I got in the queue just before 4pm, and it still took 85 mins with no fastrack/rap. 

Got back on Sub Terra for the first time in yearssss, same as I remember nothing special but nice to have a filler attraction back, something towers really lack.

The park in general looks really fresh. Oblivion in particular looking really good. Could tell the Smiler has had some touch ups but still looking pretty poor in some places. Towers always seem pretty consistent on the effects and audio front. Audio everywhere was sounding great, didn't notice any broken/distorted speakers. A lot of their speakers are still bose too which I prefer. 

Operationally wise, pretty poor. The staff were all doing a great job with what they had, but every major coaster bar Nemesis has started the season on reduced capacity. This isn't just due to it being a weekday as well, as I've heard it was the same on the weekend.

Rita - 1 train

Thirteen - 2 trains (3rd train currently in pieces under the lift hill) 

Oblivion - 4 trains 1 station. No complaints here, team were smashing it and it didn't have a queue. 

Smiler - 3 trains

Wickerman - 2 trains

Galactica - 2 trains 1 station

Nemmy - 2 trains Tuesday, till around 20 mins before closing 1 train. Opened on Weds on half a train and remained like that all day.

Few other points;

- Never been the biggest fan of Wickerman but I was really enjoying it this trip. It was absolutely flying round in the rain on Wednesday, the back row and front row rides I had are the best I've ever had on it. 6 years on its still looking like a brand new ride, solid edition to their lineup and nice they're looking after it.

- Same goes for Smiler, never been the biggest fan but no matter where I was sat was riding really smooth and really enjoyed it. Single rider queue on it is lovely too.

- Pleasantly surprised to see roaming actors at Nemesis, Curse and Wickerman on an offpeak weekday. They do add to the areas, and I wish Thorpe had this approach rather than the cringe we get there. Would prefer a few actors at Swarm and Saw than the 'thrill makers' 

- Love the fact the park opens early, believe the entrance opens at 9. On Wednesday I got in just after 9:30, went straight to dark forest. By just after 10, I had done 2 rides on Rita and and Thirteen thanks to them both opening early.

- Galactica really doesn't fit in with Forbidden Valley anymore and is looking in a state. The track looks pretty terrible, half the TVs off, projector off in the station. Just looks like they've given up with it, so hopefully a re-theme coming with the new flat next year.

- 4pm close. In my opinion if queues are anything more than 10 minutes, especially a park the size of Towers, it should never close at 4. 5pm minimum.

- As someone who really likes flats, there really isn't a lot to do apart from going coaster to coaster. It seems they're going to address this though, I do hope there is more coming than the 1 they've already put plans in for.

The distinct lack of filler rides was far more telling yesterday with 3 big coasters down (Thirteen, Galactica and Wickerman) for a considerable time. Fortunately Nemmie was on full capacity but the park need far more than the one they're getting next year. There's at least 2 spots free in X-Sector, and could definitely fit more elsewhere with some ingenuity. 

Meant lots of 50 minute plus queues across the board for the majority of the day (exacerbated by many school trips mind). Which severely limited our choices of ride due to the 4pm close. Granted we did spend a fair chunk of time in CBeebies Land though. I'll probably contact the park regarding not being able to combine RAP with Parent Swap as it is very much a killer to our day if we don't have 2 RAP users in the group currently.

Also a lack of decent eateries needs to be addressed. Not asking for much but there are so many Burgers & Hot Dogs across the park but few alternatives. Especially if you want a sit down inside. The prices are obscene too. Not visiting Pizza Pasta whilst it's £21 per person (plus baby isn't big on pizza. She's strange).

Alty Mans is fab. Dark and creepy as. Couple of iffy effects here and there but on the whole is a fantastic refurb. Between that and Nemmie the future could be bright. Does mean other areas look awful comparatively though. 

It was great to have Nemesis back. Had a good day overall but that was the only coaster we did due to the limited capacity and queues. There's still a lot of work to be done.

Call me mad but I visited on the opening day as Nemesis is a very missed coaster. All the park updates this year justified a new annual pass for me. I didn't run to FV but I knew if I didnt go there first thing, the queues were going to be mental. Anyway, only ended up waiting 2 hours which wasn't bad for the insane popularity that day. One thing I've not experienced before is the positive energy and enthusiasm in that morning queue. The atmosphere really was electric. I'll go in depth on Nemesis on the other thread.

Forbidden Valley was a nice surprise to me. I wasnt expecting such an overhaul of that whole area. The atmosphere there now is just top level. Frankly I could happily spend all day just in that area and Gloomy Wood. It feels like a different park.

As I did not go last season, The Curse was also new to me. Feels like a proper ghost train again now. my favourite effect was the hall of mirrors where Emily is riding in an empty carraige in your reflection and then it turns back into your own reflection at the end. I love all the little references and easter eggs in general, such a nice nod to the parks history.

Oblivion was smashing it in terms of operations. It had all 6 trains going round and not stacking for too long. The repainted hole was looking vibrant and a bit of a taster for the sparkle project to come. This did however make the station feel very worn and looking like it's in need of a modernisation itself. X-Sector felt very empty even with the end now blocked off to guests. Surely that area must be in sight of a Forbidden Valley style update.

Rita was probably the worst for operations. Didn't even bother. If it was on two trains, they were stacked in the station. Thirteen was fine, nothing negative to say although it always seems to have a massive RAP queue which I find funny considering it's supposed to be for those who have issues with queueing.

Thought I'd give Burger Kitchen another chance this year. My god the burgers are still awful but they are charging a premium for quality worse than a fast food chain. The burgers are literally like the frozen horse meat you get in the freezer isle. They need to get rid of that Aramark contract and bring back the fast food franchises because I'm not eating there again. It's one thing if they were running it themselves but now they are outsourcing again this is just not acceptable.

They are smashing it with the merchandise, some great offerings and proper embroidered items that are going to last. When I went to Engerylandia I was rather disappointed with the lack of branded merch so Merlin in general do a great job here.

Overall I had a good day. Nice to see Towers busy and as popular as ever. The new areas are a great sign of the future for Towers if they can sort out the food.

56 minutes ago, Stuntman707 said:

Oblivion was smashing it in terms of operations. It had all 6 trains going round and not stacking for too long. The repainted hole was looking vibrant and a bit of a taster for the sparkle project to come. This did however make the station feel very worn and looking like it's in need of a modernisation itself. X-Sector felt very empty even with the end now blocked off to guests. Surely that area must be in sight of a Forbidden Valley style update.

A staff member told me Oblivion was meant to have a huge station overhaul for this year, including 5 lines into the station (not sure what the 5th would be for?) which would include the return of the SRQ, but was pushed back to next closed season. Hopefully that still happens for next year! 

And agreed was nice to see them smashing throughputs on it for once. On Tues they were using 2/4 trains (every other train) as it had no queue, first time in years I've not had to wait on the break run! 

Blivvy is one of the few coasters on park where retrofitting a fully accessible queue wouldn't be problematic. 

Didn't go anywhere near X-Sector yesterday due to the queues. Plus that hill probably would've killed the wheelchair.