themeparkmad

Alton Towers General Discussion

1885 posts in this topic

It's all about strategy, marketing is a complicated subject to talk about because it relies on opinions. It's up to the person running the small account to decide what's important to show and what's not. 

From a marketing point of view, promoting that they've given one of their attractions a lick of paint is as good a technique as any and does work in creating a buzz. Although we agree that these are things the park should be doing anyway, there is nothing wrong with promoting it if it's going to make people talk about the park in a positive way. The general public (non-geeks) aren't generally going to see this kind of promotion as a cover up for not investing in major attractions, but as a positive improvement to the park. In fact, many people would consider this as even more positive than a new attraction, that AT are looking at the little aspects that many would forget, rather than just thinking about rides rides rides. Of course, this is not the case for geeks, but those who visit the park once a year or less and are not overly critical of the ride line-up would generally view the promotion of a fresh lick of paint as a great thing.  After all, a day at a theme park is about much more than rides. It's the whole experience, from food and drink to theming and aesthetics. 

Holly likes this

Park opening hours have received a tweak...

-10:30am openings are now 10am.  

-4:30pm closes are now 4pm.

Dark Forest, Cloud Cuckoo Land and Hex are advertised to open at 10:30am every day.

So the 10-4 days they're saving even more money than they were as 10:30-4:30 days with the staggered opening, and in the summer we have 10-6 openings. Still not great but considering that's all Thorpe and Chessington are doing this year we can just moan at Merlin for that.

Being Towers management must be a horrid job these days, a shoe string budget and complaints left right and centre. Constant decision reversals, no steps forwards and a million back.

To make money you have to invest money. Please realise this Merlin.

Well it's an improvement at least.

Beats wandering around a half closed theme park I guess.

Legoland Windsor apparently isn't going beyond 6pm for closing times, so Merlin problems galore continue again!

The Nemesis monster is being finished 

As well as the Smiler track being cleaned and supports repainted 

And Golf is getting some TLC too

I like to think this is serious whether it actually is or not 

OlivusPrime likes this

Looks like I need to eat my hat! The refurbishment of the Nemesis alien is exemplary of how these attractions should be refurbished - remaining true to the original intention whilst injecting a visible lease of new life. I'd hope for the surrounding Nemesis theming to get the same kind of treatment, but unfortunately it's unlikely (why replace rusty scenery when it's meant to be rusty?).