Alton Towers General Discussion

themeparkmad

Wow, that sounds really bad. Things will be even worse this weekend for Easter. 

It's admirable that Alton Towers are putting Wickerman on ERT but there seems to be no fall back plan. New rides have teething issues, it's a simple fact of life. If, say, Oblivion was also on ERT that would at least that would give people something to do. 

Hopefully some of this is resolved soon, most are operational changes should they shouldn't be too hard to implement. They wouldn't be free though...

I think they're quickly learning that their cuts are too severe. Yesterday was supposed to be a 4pm but from the very beginning, the park was advertising a 5pm close and they've already announced this weekend will be 6pm close. I still think Rita and Thirteen should be open at 10, there's absolutely no back up if Wickerman fails to open on time.

28 minutes ago, Mark9 said:

5ac1fa3917636_ScreenShot2018-04-02at10_38_51.thumb.png.3b18e2422e821b153c6c54a58ac4a79f.png

They need to change their policy and get Thirteen and Rita open at 10. There is no fall back whatsoever and like today, to have Oblivion as the only major rollercoaster open, is damaging their brand.

Towers have snow today - Causing the majority of rides to be unavailable.

400C306C-EA0E-4C7C-ADA1-D4E26634CC94.jpeg

Pic from Merlin AP group

On 27/03/2018 at 9:31 PM, Coaster said:

So aside from Wicker Man, Alton Towers was absolutely dire on Sunday.

• Wicker Man didn't open until 12 noon, broke down again after two trains, so we didn't get on until 12:30 despite having arrived at 8:30 in the morning to be there for the "ERT"
  • Ride testing on Wicker didn't start until gone 9:30am

The vast majority of new rides have teething problems - unfortunately that’s the way it is. If testing only started at 9:30 it would have been because Work was being done to it up till then, not to spite guests.

I do think possibly in situations like this though towers should look to open a coaster due to open later to help make up for the loss.

They seem to be having really bad luck to start this season.

Despite the weather being fine, Wicker Man (completely understandable), Rita, Oblivion, 13 and Nemesis all went down for extended periods this Friday just gone when I visited. Couple that with Nemesis only having 1 train ready to start the season and 13 still only running 2 trains (I believe) and they had a bit of a nightmare. They did however extend their queue close by half hour and even after the call to close Wicker Man main gate was called at half 5, they still let people in if they asked nicely. I feel for them, but I totally agree with Mark that they should open things earlier than the current 11, in case things go pear shaped.

20 minutes ago, Ringo said:

Towers Social media not understanding when it’s wrong to be so blunt to a paying customer

882D723E-4C12-4FA6-9D0F-05E4085ABECA.thumb.jpeg.f5b12eca9b923374190afcd30e922184.jpeg

Oh dear,

I don't know if they have a "Rainy day guarantee" like Thorpe?

That's certainly no way to repond to someone who might have just spent up to £55 to get in. They certainly shouldn't be complacent with taking people's money while the attractions are not operational. Towers is heavily reliant on coasters after getting rid of many flat rides and dark rides. Unfortunately putting all their eggs in one basket gives them an operational nightmare on days like today. I reckon it may just be someone inexperienced in hospitality handling their twitter account but that's still no excuse.

I agree trying to get the Daily Mail involved is equally as bad. They have a clear vendetta against Towers and their newspapers are filled with vile lies and hatred.

7 hours ago, MattyMoo said:

We're going on Friday 20th April - I find it somewhat ridiculous that Towers still haven't put online the opening hours for that day as yet, but I'm guessing it's going to be a 10-4, sigh.

EDIT: They've just gone online, 10-4 it is then....

Wouldn't be surprised if it is extended though. My trip last Tuesday was supposed to be 10-4 but was extended. The parks been way busier then the last few years so really they have no justification for a 4pm close frankly.

I just wonder when people will really

notice Merlin/Alton Towers penny pinching on guests time and money. Short opening hours, no baggage hold/single rider, shops closed, hotel and water park with closed days, rides opening late, not to mention all the closed indoor rides.. it’s pretty poor for what should be the UK’s best theme park and what should be a positive year for them. 

19 hours ago, Mark9 said:

Wouldn't be surprised if it is extended though. My trip last Tuesday was supposed to be 10-4 but was extended. The parks been way busier then the last few years so really they have no justification for a 4pm close frankly.

That's good to know anyway - going all that way for 10-4 opening with some rides opening at 11am or midday seems a bit of a joke.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on park on the 2nd April when they had the snowy conditions, feel sorry for people that were not passholders as communication towards guests was very mixed and at some times could only be considered poor. Upon arrival we were told Spinball was open as well as Oblivion, walked up to Spinball and were told by the ride team at the entrance of the area that it hadn't completed testing yet but was being advertised on the boards and the app as open with a 10 minute queue. Some of the boards around the park also indicated an extended ride opening because of the poor weather which we initially thought was good of the park until we realized that it was in fact a mistake and that the 5pm close was still in place.

It's just poor for a park of this size to have such poor communication with guests, I can see why someone paying £55 at the entrance would be disappointed with the service regardless of the ride availability.

Oblivion being the only major coaster open most mornings is a mistake with it seeming to attract large queues, especially with it running only one of its two stations as it was at the end of last season with most of the cars stacking up on the break run. 

You know what though, it probably is "better than nothing", but only just.

They can’t offer an exchange / refund - they are non refundable :P - I didn’t think that particular tweet was that bad just abit tounge in cheek? I like the reply’s to it mind saying she can do what she wants with her tickets - will look abit silly if they end up being blocked by them!