themeparkmad

Alton Towers General Discussion

10 hours ago, Wicker Matt said:

Yep, because 5pm is classed as a late opening now.  

as I said, just an hours difference for weekly operations would be such an improvement. After all, the Southern parks can just about manage to do so, so why not Towers too? If I’d said something like 7pm for example, then that would be a different matter.

I’m sure a multimillion company can afford to,but they just choose not to because they can somewhat getaway with it currently. Legoland China couldn’t have been cheap aye.

Unless there’s been another Ropers thing (heavens forbid), then I can’t see the issue here as they always used to close at 5pm, but gradually pushed. It go 4pm. Prebooking only attractions are different though because they are usually smaller stand alone attractions in/around a large town and not in rural Staffordshire.

As their provisional hours, I’m sure we could see some changes.

Perspective though, The Southern parks have better transport links to London (ie 8 million potential customers from Central alone), they are also cheaper to run being smaller and require less staffing budget and therefore are able to budget 5pm closes. Towers has never had that kind of flex, in all my time visiting theme parks, Towers has always had these restricted visiting hours. The Smiler incident only really highlighted how much more restricted they can go.

9 hours ago, Mattgwise said:

We are enthusiasts who have been many, many times so easily bore. People who don't often go and want to make a day of it should be able to stay until minimum 5pm. Virtually every leisure attraction shuts at 5pm minimum, including those that are far less wealthy that the company running Towers. I'm sorry, I get what your saying, but its still poor opening hours regardless of whether it has x number of visitors or not. 

These large companies should use the excessive profits made in busy periods to cover those days it might make less money. My friend who runs an outdoor crazy golf course still opens until 5pm in winter and sometimes runs at a loss, but its summer trade factors that my happen sometimes over less busy periods. Its a good service that should be offered to bring people back.

That isn't reality though. Even on 5pm closes, a lot of people have already left and the park is dead, people wishing to avoid the rush hour traffi, the only exception is when its very hot. That's when the park should stay open later. In an ideal world, yeah the park would be fully staffed and all rides open, full availability, 6pm closures. But we don't live in that world. 

Hey at least they're still open in most off-peak weekdays, some places across the world don't even do that...

Perhaps if there was a balance between later opening hours in busier times, but I'm not sure that there's a real appetite culturally for 10pm summer closes for example... Thorpe's events were an attempt but the weird implementation possibly confused visitors...

image.thumb.png.71448617149f94c5910b796ca29989d2.png

I don't understand Alton towers offer a discounted price to ride some world leading roller-coasters and they still get mocked. Remind me how much a Blackpool season pass I for comparison.

1 hour ago, Glitch said:

image.thumb.png.71448617149f94c5910b796ca29989d2.png

I don't understand Alton towers offer a discounted price to ride some world leading roller-coasters and they still get mocked. Remind me how much a Blackpool season pass I for comparison.

The cheapest price for a 2020 Blackpool season pass was £89.  They are £99 currently.

The full price of £189.60 (1896??) is ludicrous but since the passes are valid for the season (and not a year from the date of purchase), I doubt anyone pays full price.