Alton Towers General Discussion

themeparkmad

1 hour ago, Glitch said:

Issues around opening times. Its a shame enthusiast sites can't wait for park confirmation before reporting.

To be fair I wouldn't expect them to confirm every opening time with the park. If its stated on the website I don't see a problem with them reporting that

• 4 weeks later...

So last weekend, I got round to my first Towers trip this year. Here’s how it went:

Park was pretty busy, so 8pm closures are definitely warranted, even if numbers trickle down from mid afternoon. With queues exceeding over an hour often. 

presentation was a mixed bag, with some areas such as Towers Street looking great but others needing work. A jetwash would help. 

Operations were a mixed bag (likely due to restrictions). Wickermans we’re amongst the best with Nemy perhaps being the worst. However they were batching outside the station building. Indoor attractions were closed as expected. 

The Retrosquad rides definitely give Towers much needed support attractions, even if they look a little out of place. They are certainly fun additions to the lineup. Mixtape was probably my favourite, although I really liked Funk N Fly too. I didn’t get chance to try Roller Disco. 

Social distancing around the park was ok, with staff wardens etc. But still some room for improvement I guess. 

Just a few pics. Don’t Stop Believing!

3D10505E-92BB-4896-879E-111A19759FC2.thumb.jpeg.28d20eb84d5063f79af92a929fc5088a.jpeg38757094-0B18-47CC-9BE8-480DF9EE9C57.thumb.jpeg.10723d9cb7afb8a9eee436e18775b130.jpegAF40A681-1565-4842-9662-6F9C1816DEA4.thumb.jpeg.78a7d6c8699b97b82572035fd510e0ed.jpeg7A6488B0-D3EA-4220-BB16-BA8AE4D437AA.thumb.jpeg.ffc7e2135337c596f878108033009cde.jpeg39C38F6B-3BC8-454D-93F4-C14A30B5C83E.thumb.jpeg.402d9d19a828c937b0b101be9f3d967a.jpeg70CAB9B2-BA24-4337-8ECD-51C750F84B6B.thumb.jpeg.015266a735be57e4f12f9256fa485f88.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

The trouble with the 4pm closures on weekdays is that the park have had them for so long now, it's hard to know for certain how 5pm weekday closures would be received. 

There's some logic at the park at the moment though:

They've realised people didn't like the fact there were less rides available, so they've temporarily bought in more to see if it works.

They've realised people didn't like the fact they closed between 5-6pm on weekends, so they've increased those open hours (though for some reason, they only announce it like a week before...)

So either they've realised people don't like 4pm weekday closures, but don't have the budget to extend them, with focus being on the more profitable weekend. Or there isn't a problem with 4pm closures. OR they haven't realised 4pm closures are the problem.

There is still the issue of British logic of leaving early, beating the traffic and being home for dinner, yes. But credit where it's due: Towers are at least sticking with later closes this year, and hopefully that shows the demand is there.

• 2 weeks later...

Was at Towers the last two days and as much as I love the rides there and the gardens I think I'l stop going until the ride capacities are restored. Despite all the markers and announcements, the public have given up on any form of social distancing. On our first attempt to ride the Smiler it was like a special form of torture with only the odd group following the guidance. Not until does it not feel safe after a year of social distancing but it also meant it took about 15 minutes to move ten metres. So until the parks can fill trains to maximum, I really would say don't bother visiting until September time. 

It was also excruciatingly busy which seemed to catch the park by surprise. All fastrack was sold out, the rides were unreliable as hell with only the Wickerman from the main coasters not experiencing significant downtime. I really felt for the staff as well, the Smiler team in particular were working so hard but no matter what they did, with such low capacity, there's not much they can realistically do to reduce that queue.

• 2 weeks later...

Park is clearly very busy, with continual extended closing hours. The once-4pm closes have been 5 or 6pm, with tomorrow a 7pm closure, and the weekend 8pm. 

Next week has been pushed to 5pm but I expect that will probably be extended again at some point:

image.png

Spent the past two days at towers, It was very busy, even a 10-6 didn't feel like enough for both days.

but in other news, Decided to try out roller disco for a laugh, and it was actually intense as f*ck!
It seems to be running at full speed, slowing down then full speed again, the G force felt when spinning clockwise was like the speed its ran at a normal fair.

Towers have removed social distancing on a number of rides as part of a 1 week trial. Wicker man and thirteen leaving no gaps and the Smiler filling all available seats. 

This is great to see and is clearly having a big impact on queues, Wicker man is currently only half an hour! 

Sounds like the park / higher up Merlin H&S teams have done appropriate risk assessments and the like and decided now is the time to see if this works.

It's strange timing given it occurs around the time the government will almost-definitely announce a delay to the next lockdown easing. But possibly coincidental too. Hopefully the park don't receive too much backlash over it.

For what it's worth, I think social distancing on rides is a pretty pointless concept. If someone has Covid and is sat at the front of a coaster train going 50mph, for example, it doesn't matter if you're sat in the row behind them or the back of train, you're still probably going to come into contact with particles that they may spread. And even then, if you're outside and wearing masks, the likelihood of transmission is extremely low.

With all the information we have, social distancing on rides should have been scrapped long ago. If not the back end of last year, definitely at the start of this season. At this point, it's really only something that's being done for show.

Was on park this weekend and literally only saw Funk n Fly have a quick wipe down around 12pm today. However, I didn't even see any cleaning fluid bottles in any ride station the entire weekend, whereas before you'd see the bottles somewhere at the side of the station or through the operating cabin.

In terms of the trial with the rows something must have changed as queues moved fairly quick all weekend. The park felt still very busy but didn't wait more than 55 mins for anything all weekend. Apart from Smiler saw very little fastrack or RAP being used which made a change from what has been experienced down at CWoA and TP.