Alton Towers General Discussion

themeparkmad

6 minutes ago, Matt N said:

One thing I'd say there is that all of the examples you cite were purchased under Tussauds, whereas the parks now are owned by Merlin. Even though the firms are similar, they will differ in many ways, and I'd wager that this policy is one of those ways.

As for when the policy was implemented, I'm not 100% sure. I'm not even 100% sure that it's a policy, but I definitely seem to remember someone in the know saying it once. I think they said it had something to do with the Smiler incident and wanting to be 100% sure that all rides met the corporate safety and maintenance standard or something like that (they wouldn't have been 100% sure with a second hand ride bought from outside the group), if I'm remembering correctly.

@Matt N that makes sense that policies have been changed following The Smiler accident. Buying second hand rides could be risky. A Theme Park could sell a ride due to an accident or breakdown. Surly when selling rides don’t Theme Parks have to inform the seller of any incidents involving the ride. Saying this  don’t sellers I.E Interlink service rides and get them expected by H&E professionals. If the latter happens purchasing a second hand ride could be safer than buying a new ride. For instance The Smiler,which was brand new,has endured many incidents, whereas Billy’s Wizzer (Monkey Swinger) which is second hand hasn’t had one. Second hand rides are probably inspected. On the other hand new rides are manufactured and sent. Personally I’d feel more comfortable purchasing a second hand ride. They’re vigorously tested and have worked at a Theme Park prior.

I do see Merlin’s logic,although in some cases their reasoning is wrong.

Just now, Theme Park Fanatic said:

@Matt N that makes sense that policies have been changed following The Smiler accident. Buying second hand rides could be risky. A Theme Park could sell a ride due to an accident or breakdown. Surly when selling rides don’t Theme Parks have to inform the seller of any incidents involving the ride. Saying this  don’t sellers I.E Interlink service rides and get them expected by H&E professionals. If the latter happens purchasing a second hand ride could be safer than buying a new ride. For instance The Smiler,which was brand new,has endured many incidents, whereas Billy’s Wizzer (Monkey Swinger) which is second hand hasn’t had one. Second hand rides are probably inspected. On the other hand new rides are manufactured and sent. Personally I’d feel more comfortable purchasing a second hand ride. They’re vigorously tested and have worked at a Theme Park prior.

I do see Merlin’s logic,although in some cases their reasoning is wrong.

Interlink could well have a different standard of H&S/maintenance to Merlin's internal standard. I can understand Merlin's skepticism around second hand rides from outside the group, particularly post-Smiler. I'm sure they're perfectly safe, but it probably isn't worth the risk.

One thing I'd say with regard to your Smiler vs Monkey Swinger comparison is that correlation does not necessarily equal causation. By that, I mean that just because Smiler has had more incidents than Monkey Swinger, that does not mean that all new rides have more incidents than all second hand rides.

Surely a new ride would be more heavily tested than a second hand one, no? Surely the manufacturer will have manufactured and tested every element of it with perfect precision, and as it's brand new, the components will have no wear and tear (unlike those of a second hand ride), which in theory decreases the chance of an accident or malfunction?

Sorry, moderators... I'm conscious of the fact that I'm going off on a bit of a tangent here.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, MattyMoo said:

Thoughts and prayers for anyone currently at Alton Towers...

1602830960_Screenshot_20221030-120139_AltonTowers.thumb.jpg.a992bd7eec62839724b0af7c925ef4a3.jpg

WickerMan appears to have some sort of chain/lift issue yesterday morning and has been down since. Really not a good end to a pretty awful year for Towers...

Thanks MattyMoo, they helped me get through the day. Nemesis is the saving grace of this park so when even that is down, you can just tell the park needs to sort itself out.

21 hours ago, MattyMoo said:

Thoughts and prayers for anyone currently at Alton Towers...

1602830960_Screenshot_20221030-120139_AltonTowers.thumb.jpg.a992bd7eec62839724b0af7c925ef4a3.jpg

WickerMan appears to have some sort of chain/lift issue yesterday morning and has been down since. Really not a good end to a pretty awful year for Towers...

Wanted to try to get one last trip to Towers before the end of the season but don't think I'll bother if they don't manage to get Wicker Man sorted beforehand 😭

I understand the weather wasn't much cop yesterday which didn't help matters but even so... pretty horrific. WickerMan is bad timing I suppose but this just screams to me that they need decent filler attractions & flats - and ideally not flats that are fairground rides that aren't used to such long and rigorous operation.

• 1 month later...

There were birds eye view photos of Alton Towers posted online a few days ago. It appears Enterprise has returned to its location and is being reassembled. Personally I think this could be Zodiac relocated from Thorpe Park,as Alton Towers’s ride was beyond saving. If Zodiac has been relocated to Alton Towers the recently disassembled Rocky Express from Old Town could move to its location. There was talk of Enterprise relocating to Thorpe Park as spares or a replacement for Zodiac. Despite this plans can always change.

On 12/11/2022 at 2:16 PM, Theme Park Fanatic said:

There were birds eye view photos of Alton Towers posted online a few days ago. It appears Enterprise has returned to its location and is being reassembled. Personally I think this could be Zodiac relocated from Thorpe Park,as Alton Towers’s ride was beyond saving. If Zodiac has been relocated to Alton Towers the recently disassembled Rocky Express from Old Town could move to its location. There was talk of Enterprise relocating to Thorpe Park as spares or a replacement for Zodiac. Despite this plans can always change.

Ah yes, because Rocky Express totally wouldn't look out of place next to Rush, Quantum and Vortex...

10 hours ago, Theme Park Fanatic said:

Rocky Express wouldn’t look out of place anymore than the Retro Squad Rides do at Alton Towers.

I disagree - I think the Retro Squad rides are pretty obvious that they're only temporary, therefore it doesn't really matter if they look out of place as they're not sticking around forever. At the end of the day, the Retro Squad rides are built to be travelling rides, and Alton Towers have not tried to theme them to the area to hide this fact. Rocky Express however, was built to be a permanent ride. The theme doesn't suit the area, and retheming Rocky Express would be an expensive ordeal as the trains would need to be rethemed and the theming piece in the middle of the ride would also need to be changed.

Of course, neither of those things need to be changed but Rocky would stick out like a sore thumb there - and the difference between Rocky and the Retro Squad rides is that at least Alton have the excuse of "They're only temporary, so who cares if it looks out of place?!"

Also, almost certainly if Zodiac was taken from Thorpe and redirected to Alton, someone would've spotted it and posted about it. Someone would've spotted it being dismantled and taken out of Thorpe, someone would've spotted it on the back of a truck being hauled half way up the country, or someone would've spotted it arriving at the Alton Christmas event. But they haven't.

• 3 weeks later...

With the 2023 season fast approaching I’ve come up with ideas to solve the lack of Flat Rides. I think Bouncing Bugs the mini Flying Elephant type ride could return. Upon the closure of Bouncing Bugs in 2008 it was said it would be put into storage,furthermore it was said it it could return. As the number of Flat Rides at Alton Towers has dramatically depleted could Bouncing Bugs be introduced to The World Of David Williams. If this happened Cookoo Cars Driving School could be removed. Bouncing Bugs  could then be rethemed to Grandpa’s Great Escape and relocated to the location vacated by Cookoo Cars Driving School. Furthermore Another Flat Ride that could open is Rocky Express from Thorpe Park. This Flat Ride could be rethemed and located into Gloomy Wood. The Theme could be the Train is being telepathically controlled by Emily Alton. A third attraction that could be reused is Lava Lump the up charge Climbing Wall that was previously located where Nemesis Sub Terra is. This attraction could be moved to the location vacated by Ripsaw. Lava Lump could be rethemed too climbing up the Rocks to escape the Nemesis Monster. Please tell me if you like my ideas. 

You can this thread to descuss general news/information related to the 2023 season at Alton Towers.

Do you just look at rides that were removed by parks and declare they'll put them in even though they've been closed for 15 years?

Easy to solve the flat ride problem. Buy some new ones that are suitably themed and not just rented funfair attractions. Plenty of manufacturers to choose from. 

I thought I’d share this news with you. I’ve been dreaming about going to Alton Towers for ages. I went to a Psycic (Fortune Teller) today. The Psycic said I have 2 Holidays coming up. One involves a boat. The Psycic asked me where I was hoping to go I said Alton Towers and Chessington. To this the Psycic asked if there’s  a boat ride at Alton Towers? 

I know Alton Towers has Battle Galleons and The Blade. Would you consider these Rides as boats? I’m not sure if I would.

Please give me your opinions it’ll help me find out if she was talking about a Holiday to Alton Towers. I know this is a bit irrelevant but are there farms near Alton Towers. The Psycic said where I am going there are loads of Farms and Fields.

Apparently some Youtubers broke into Alton Towers. I think it’s a pity Emily Alton didn’t come out of the Haunted House she’s recently “repossessed” to scare them off. I’m looking forward to seeing what decor Emily Alton has chosen for her refurbished abode.

I am buzzing it’s only 2 months until Emily Alton will welcome visitors back into her House.

• 1 month later...

I see from the latest drone video thing on the Youtube that...

• Funk & Fly doesn't appear to be in place yet and maybe isn't coming back
  • Enterprise is well and truly gone
  • Sub Terra has a brand new queue line 😵

Also from the video - the Smiler track don't 'arf need a repaint now - it looks orange in parts....! Seems to have weathered far worse than SAW.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just been on the Alton Towers website and Enterprise has finally been removed from the rides list. In other Alton news it’s been confirmed today that a new Retro Squad ride is joining. Finally there is no mention of Nemesis Sub Terra on the Alton Towers website. I don’t interpret it as Nemesis Sub Terra isn’t returning. With the amount of refurbishment work that’s been seen in and around Nemeses Sub Terra is almost certain it’s returning. Now Alton Towers have started teasing The Curse At Alton Manor and new Retro Squad ride I think the return of Nemesis Sub Terra will be announced. 

Despite the absence of Alton Towers’s most recognisable rollercoaster (Nemesis) 2023 is looking to be a marvellous season. The return of some aspects of the original Haunted House and bigger role for Emily Alton and Snowy alone make 2023 a great season. 

Should the likely return of Nemesis Sub Terra occur, it’ll hold the following records. Firstly  the longest SBNO ride at a Merlin Theme Park to reopen and secondly the shortest lived operational ride of the currant century. What I mean by the current century is since the year 2000. For those who are pedantic The Flying Fish at Thorpe Park was never SBNO. The ride was entirely removed for the 2005/6 seasons before relocated to its current location.