On Ride Photos

Matthew

• 9 months later...

I spent a small fortune on ORPs last year (first trip to Thorpe in 11 years and first ever trips to AT). So this year I am cutting right back as I have almost redecorated one of my walls in my living room :blink::blink:

On AP day I did enquire about photos and then asked the guy at the kiosk if pass holders get discount and he said yes although I didn't actually buy the photo so am not 100% sure if this is correct as I didn't see anything stating that you get AP discount - £10 for one photo is extortionate (even if it does include a digital download - many people have scanners these days). They must make a fortune!

Also - the pics look exactly the same as last years

Won't be paying £10 for an ORP...

Amazing difference when you go abroad and see €6 a photo... Or indeed at Plopsaland you get a full digital video and 6 photos for sommat stupid like €2...

The photopass value has also decreased, even if it's still decent value... Real shame...

The photo pass is only good value considering how dear individual photos are... 2012 photo passes were 20pound without digital Downloads and 25 with them, so with photo passes only at 25pound, it hasn't changed for about 3years - also I thought individual photos were 8pound as I remember Alton towers were dearer at 10pound each, they now all include free digital downloads though.

Still agree they're a rip off, although the problem is people still buy them... I like pluks idea of cheap digital only downloads as almost everyone would buy them and be a good way to promote the park with the pictures all over social media, but I can't see how it would work with how small the photo booths are with how little staff and how they could cope with the demand - I think the way it would work is pay for the receipt with the code on to download online which can be done on your mobile or on a PC... I would literally buy every picture aha!

They could have an automated machine for digital photos, put in the photo code, check its yours, insert say £3 (or use contactless bank card) and tap in your email address.

Would be a great way to get extra sales for no extra staff cost. The machine could even prompt that is is only £X more for a printed photo to encourage both.

If they knocked out the digitals for £1 each they would sell thousands of the things (at near as damn it 100% profit), and also have a crazy amount of promotion from people sticking them all over social media. I wish they'd try it, everyone would be a winner.

If they had something like that I would probably buy a few photos a visit, whereas I don't buy any at the moment because they're too darn expensive!

If they had something like that I would probably buy a few photos a visit, whereas I don't buy any at the moment because they're too darn expensive!

I have always thought that, but then again if they sold them for a £1 each would they make a profit with no one buying the printed ones?

I have always thought that, but then again if they sold them for a £1 each would they make a profit with no one buying the printed ones?

Don't see why they wouldn't.

Once the systems have been set up, I assume they make their money back pretty quick, and there's going to be very little maintenance cost as well (well, I guess, at least). As pluk says, if you charge a cheaper price, there's more chance of people buying photos as well. So yeah, pretty certain they'd still make a profit.

The prices they are charging are, in my opinion, just too much for what you're getting..

Don't see why they wouldn't.

Once the systems have been set up, I assume they make their money back pretty quick, and there's going to be very little maintenance cost as well (well, I guess, at least). As pluk says, if you charge a cheaper price, there's more chance of people buying photos as well. So yeah, pretty certain they'd still make a profit.

The prices they are charging are, in my opinion, just too much for what you're getting..

I agree about the prices being too much for what you are getting. The only reason I have so many ORPs from last year is due to it being my first trip to Thorpe in yeaaaaars and my first visits to Alton Towers.

I am a bit miffed that the guy working on the photo thing at Loggers Leap told me that I could get AP discount which obviously isn't the case

Of that £1, at least 99p would be profit. The system would pay for itself very quickly, the overheads for digital are practically zero.

Systems cost money
Maintenance (terminals systems cameras)
Takings shares (Tp/picsolve)
Hosting/internet costs

Not everyone would buy their photos as it is even at a quid as most people don't like how they look etc. unfortunately like most businesses they need a lot of money to keep ticking over what they have been doing recently has been working so they will keep that going. The pricing structure they've had works for them now and still a large amount of customers use the service. They are still trying different things though. Keeping those systems running isn't cheap at all.

Systems cost money

Maintenance (terminals systems cameras)

Takings shares (Tp/picsolve)

Hosting/internet costs

While all these things are true, they are static costs. They do not increases with each purchase (internet costs might in a tiny way) so it all comes down to the actual numbers. I'd wager if it was a £1 digital download they'd sell a lot lot lot more than 10 times what they do now. Without the printing ink and paper costs that'd all be profit.

On top of that the waves and waves of inevitable facebook posts of the pics would effectively be a tonne of free advertising. Win win win!