Rocky Express

Holly

15 hours ago, JoshC. said:

An interesting claim that Rocky Express has been sold. It's hardly an expensive type of ride, and it's old and has seen better days. Not to say Rocky needs to be scrapped, as it's still a perfectly fine operational ride. But you'd have to wonder what sort of place would really want to buy it.

This is true. Shawn Sanbrooke has bought it to put in his back garden next to the World of Theme Parks.

Related to the incoming roller coaster, the park have confirmed that the Old Town area over the train tracks (holding Rocky Express, Timber Tug Boat and Lumber Jump) will not open in 2022. There is nothing said about what will happen to the rides as of yet:

*moves thread to The Past for now*

Interesting.
In some ways it’s quite sad to say goodbye to Canada Creek - so many lovely memories of Loggers Leap and the Railway!  It really used to be a really vibrant, happy, family-friendly area not so long ago!

Those days have long since passed however and it’s good to see it finally layed to rest.

I hope they keep the Diana memorial.

All 3 Old Town rides are probably quite portable aren’t they?

They could simply move them / some of them elsewhere in the park I suppose, if they’re not scrapping or moving them elsewhere.

I read online a while ago that some of the Octopus Garden rides have been kept in storage at the farm - I wonder if some sort of kids area will make a return at some point, maybe even next year to compensate for the loss of smaller rides.

I guess Creek Freak may have seen its last days as well then?

The fall of Old Town (formerly Canada Creek) has been inevitable for sometime now, especially given development and area prospects.

Prior to 2016, the area was still very much full of life, even with the railway’s closure. Whether that be Loggers running around the area or the formerly excellent Country/Pop playlist. 

In recent year’s it has just been a shadow of it’s former self. A dead zone for the park, with the exception of Fright Nights. Not to mention looking largely rundown and dilapidated.

It will be shame to see, what was the last Pre-Tussauds park area removed. But change is critical, so the park can maybe perhaps move in the right direction again after so very long!  

9 minutes ago, Matt Creek said:

The fall of Old Town (formerly Canada Creek) has been inevitable for sometime now, especially given development and area prospects.

Prior to 2016, the area was still very much full of life, even with the railway’s closure. Whether that be Loggers running around the area or the formerly excellent Country/Pop playlist. 

In recent year’s it has just been a shadow of it’s former self. A dead zone for the park, with the exception of Fright Nights. Not to mention looking largely rundown and dilapidated.

It will be shame to see, what was the last Pre-Tussauds park area removed. But change is critical, so the park can maybe perhaps move in the right direction again after so very long!  

Cloud Cuckoo Land. Which just shows how impactful that area was. 

2 hours ago, Inferno said:

All 3 Old Town rides are probably quite portable aren’t they?

They could simply move them / some of them elsewhere in the park I suppose, if they’re not scrapping or moving them elsewhere.

Timber Tug Boat and Lumber Jump definitely are (and they used to exist at Sea Life Brighton, I think, and were easy to transport to Thorpe).

Rocky I imagine is a bit more difficult given it doesn't just exist on a flat base. But I imagine it's not impossible to move it if they wanted. I think the issue with Rocky particularly (over the other two) is the age two. I'm sure it's still in working order, but questions should be raised about the worthwhileness of moving it I guess.

I read online a while ago that some of the Octopus Garden rides have been kept in storage at the farm - I wonder if some sort of kids area will make a return at some point, maybe even next year to compensate for the loss of smaller rides.

I've heard about the OG rides being kept at the farm...I don't know if that's actually true, and I do know some were sold on / sent to other Merlin attractions. I'd wonder what the point of storing a few kids rides for 10+ years would be, and if it's worth actually rebuilding and open them over getting new stuff.

It certainly would be nice to see some sort of collection of smaller rides still though. Maybe replacing the Wet Wet Wet slides by the Beach, since they didn't open this year.

I guess Creek Freak may have seen its last days as well then?

This is the most curious thing right now for me.

Thorpe made a fairly big deal out of Platform closing. Nothing was said about Creek Freak. These plans definitely won't have come from nowhere either of course either.

Whilst Platform was longer serving, Creek Freak was definitely more loved, so you'd think they would say something about that too? So does it mean they're keeping it and working round that? If so, how does that work? And if they are getting rid of it, what will the park do next Fright Nights to compensate losing two mazes.

6 hours ago, JoshC. said:

Timber Tug Boat and Lumber Jump definitely are (and they used to exist at Sea Life Brighton, I think, and were easy to transport to Thorpe).

*Sea Life Weymouth

In regards to Creek Freak, I loved it but I’m against any theme-park holding back development because they want to keep it. I can see it being moved, but I wouldn’t know where due to lack of indoor space (Thorpe Farm would be ideal 😉). If not the brand could be kept and changed to an outdoor maze. If not, might go back to fright nights where mazes are constantly updated. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...