Alton's MTDP

James6

Just was reading on Towers Times and Alton's MTDP for the next 10 years has been revealed.I'm just going to quote a post on that site as I wouldn't be able to put it in my own words effectively. :D

Most points of interest were texted to Rob for you all to enjoy early, however...•On the subject of Spinball, I talked to a member of management there and he said they are thinking of either relocating it in park or selling it. However, he said it was unlikely it would move to another Merlin park. He didn't seem very happy with the ride when talking about it, almost like it was a burden.•The main point of interest in the exhibition was a map of Alton, with their ideas penciled in over the top. They made a big fuss about an "activated link" between the hotels and Air, and I asked a someone who was floating around and they said they wanted to create "continuity" between the park and the resort area. Along this link was designated an "entertainment area", presumably a Universal CityWalk style thing.•The camp ground accommodation is planned for where one of the overflow car parks is now. It would be linked to the current hotel area by another area designated a "entertainment area". The campground accommodation potential area looked pretty big.•They are considering an extension to ATH, which was clearly marked. It would be another wing that went on the lawn next to the lake with the stepping stones, adjacent to the woodland walk.•It looked from the plans like they are planning TWO new hotels on the Field of 1001 Screams area. Two clearly separate blocks of colour their designated "possible accommodation".•I asked about the entrance. The man from management said they were undecided whether to just scrap the Towers Street entrance all together. On the map, Towers Street and Old McDonalds Farm were labeled as two of the areas for a "possible retheme".•The Flume retheme wasn't labeled as clearly as that. Just the area where the Flume is was marked as one of the areas for a "possible retheme" . Other areas that came under this category included CCL, Ugland, Towers Street, Old Mcdonalds Farm, Storybook Land and Forbidden Valley.•A board told us that when developing the plan the management had considered four options. These were "No Investment", "Small Investment", "Medium Investment" and "High Investment". The one the plan is based on is "Medium Investment". That was very interesting I think.•Sites for potential new rollercoasters: around the back of CCL, Ugland where SW6 is (not sure if this is meant to actually BE SW6 or a third coaster...) and Forbidden Valley, round the back of this "activated link" area but on the side of the valley. Basically the exact route of the woodland walk was designated. I guess the CCL ride would be a kiddie coaster, would work well there in the old coaster corner. I'm at a total loss as to the FV one, seems a very bizarre place to put a new coaster...•Attendance is at it's highest since 1994. Another very minor point. They made a LOT of fuss about their commitment to heritage and ecology. Pumping a lot of money into that it seems, or it seems like it to keep the residents happy. The few other people we saw in their were residents, it's obviously geared towards them.•As Rob said, four "new or rethemed" attractions in the next 5 years. But only 6 in the next 10 Maybe all the resort stuff above like the new hotels and "activated link" will be the main investment in the latter 5 years?

Personally this all sounds great to me :rolleyes: It's a shame to hear Spinball Whizzer possibly leaving, Yes it has terrible throughput and sticks out like a sore thumb but it is a great little ride. :D Your thoughts :) ?

This is a very interesting MTDP :rolleyes: Will be good to see some re-theme's but regards to spinball I'm not sure if I like it to be honest... I mean everytime ive been it has always had a 45 min queue + which to be fair I'm not going to wait when other coasters have 10 or 20 minute queue's, yes it is fun but it always has the most ridiculous queue! As to towers street, personally I like it how it is because when your walking down there in the morning and the music is roaring out I just think it sets the mood for the day :)As to the hotel, why do they still need to keep increasing the hotel when they can save up more money and spend it on bigger and better rides? Personally I think the hotel is fine how it is now but then again I have never been in there so I'm not sure what it is like. :PBut the MTDP looks really good and cant wait to see it go into action :)

Alton Towers will soon submit a long term plan to the local authorities after a consultation event was held for the public to see the "vision" for the resort over the next decade. Some of the things we are likely to see are as follows, but it must be stressed that NOTHING (apart from the new rollercoaster in 2010) is yet set in stone.- Relocation of Spinball Whizzer- Landscaped car parking- Extension of the theme park beyond Air, to include a new entrance and entertainments complex- Several new medium to large rides/attractions, of which three could be rollercoasters- Limited theme park operations in Winter- Increased focus on entertainments- Re-themes and Refreshes in several areas in the park- New accommodation: hotels AND lower budget is being looked at- Further investment in the heritage of the site- Woodland managementThe consultation did not provide specific details on which rides are likely to be replaced (I.e. no mention of Black Hole site) but a map highlighted likely areas for development.Found that on tower times page... sorry for the double post.

• 2 months later...

I think re-locating Spinball Whizzer to Chessington would be an absolute joke, and it won't happen anyway. These are the 2 potential re-location areas for Spinball Whizzer. - The Black Hole tent, as the ride would fit perfectly inside the tent with the exception of the 2 over-bank turns. - LEGOLAND Windsor, on the location currently occupied by Jungle Coaster, however I highly doubt they'd be able to get planning permission to build it there. :)

By the way , if I remember correctly they've had planning permission accepted for a hotel to be built where Jungle Coaster is currently. :blink:Having Dragon's Fury and Spinball Whizzer in the same park would be pretty ridiculous, can you imagine. "Come ride Extreme Dragon's Fury, the ride thats the exact same type as the ride we've had here for years thats a more thrilling, bigger version of the one we're going to install Dragons Fury."I can see it now :blink:But I really can't see it moving to anywhere to be honest.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I think re-locating Spinball Whizzer to Chessington would be an absolute joke, and it won't happen anyway.

Absolutely. When Spinball Whizzer was designed and constructed, it was designed with the slight gradient of land in mind, so taking it out and reinstalling it on completely flat land would not work - therefore a move for the coaster is highly unlikely, unless park with exactly the same gradient of land could accomodate it (but what are the chances?!).