The Blue Barnacle (Previously Black Buccaneer)

It's not just Merlin, Ceder Point failed to get a bunch of their biggest coasters open for the opening weekend. They had almost 7 months of closed season yet failed to do it. 

In the case of Black Buccaneer my guess is that they found out during closed season maintenance that more work was required than usual, understandably they tried to get as many rides ready as possible and come back to Black Buccaneer at a later date. 

I do agree Merlin should have done better but if even *Ceder Fair* couldn't get everything working for opening day after an even longer closed season then I don't think we should criticise Merlin too much.

People on Facebook are saying multiple staff members and even management have said it was meant to be done in March, but they haven't been able to because they need a crane to carry it out, and they can't get one in while people are in the park. Some have even said staff members have said it isn't coming back. Chessington actually acknowledged the conversation and just said to keep an eye on social media.

(Someone did also say that it has been removed permanently for that new water coaster we saw, so take the above with a pinch of salt of course)

Judging from the crane witness, I can assume Black Bucaneer is getting major work done to it and will hopefully reopen before super-peak season (July onwards). 

It could be a case that more work  was needed than first expected, but still isn’t great that a notable support ride is out of action three months into the main season. I get the impression the engineering department at all parks is down this year compared to previous ones. Understaffing and budgets are possible. 

As for those “staff say it’s not coming back because of 123 reasons”, that’s just general nonsense and wouldn’t believe anything until the park or a reliable source  officially announce anything. There’s been lots of silly rumours all over the years, from Swarm VR to that Flying Coaster in Canada Creek.

• 5 weeks later...

Not a fan of swinging ships (even Mr Monkeys makes me feel a bit iffy ?).  Went on Black Buccaneer today and sat in the middle as I am a wuss and the ride felt noticeably longer than in the past - or it might have been that the kid sat opposite me looked like he was about to chunder any moment and I was willing for it to end 

• 10 months later...

I honestly hope this isn’t the end for Black Buccaneer as it’s such a popular and classic attraction, but understand it is getting on with it being 33 years old.

If the work on this attraction is that drastic the park should really replace it with a similar/updated model. It’s still popular and would warrant it for a park like Chessington. However given that isn’t largely marketable in a company that have to have continuous growth that will obviously never happen!

Tivoli seem to have it spot on for replacing things!

1 hour ago, Mark9 said:

It is no longer on the official website.

RIP Black Buccaneer.

My best memories of it was arguing with every single guest when I operated it because they refused to sit anywhere but the end rows. Hell on earth.

Haha yes I can definitely associate with this! I remember this situation well myself! But yes looks like it’s the end

So Black Buccaneer is not returning for the season and released the statement shown below to various queries on Twitter. Do we think it will return? Will it take nearly four years for a decision?  Personally I think the worlds first H&B leisure stall in a pit will take its place. 

After sailing the high seas for 30 years, Black Buccaneer has run aground and unfortunately won’t be setting sail in 2019. Keep a ‘weather eye’ on the horizon though to see if the most fearsome ship in Pirates’ Cove will take to the seas again.

In a ideal world next year the park would invest in a identical replacement and maybe spruce up the area while they are at it.

I think that is wishful though, lets hope.. I wouldn't be upset if they re-did Tomb Blaster next year instead as that ride is currently a pile of garbage.

• Mattgwise changed the title to The Blue Barnacle (Previously Black Buccaneer)