The Blue Barnacle (Previously Black Buccaneer)

1 hour ago, JoshuaA said:

In a ideal world next year the park would invest in a identical replacement and maybe spruce up the area while they are at it.

I think that is wishful though, lets hope.. I wouldn't be upset if they re-did Tomb Blaster next year instead as that ride is currently a pile of garbage.

I agree with you on this one

to be honest even if they replace it, it will never be as good as buccaneer. For some reason, it always went just that little bit higher then other swinging ships. 

Some of my my best memories was during fury’s opening year and just staying on it for ten rides in a row, just switching seats after ever cycle. 

??

A shame, and further testament to the lack of maintenance budget provided to the Merlin parks.

There's always budget for new investments (albeit smaller and smaller numbers as of late). And they have a bare minimum budget for maintaining attractions (ie: fix stuff so they're safe and that's about it). But if something goes wrong, you're screwed. And with Merlin parks having a good few rides from the 90s, which are now reaching 30 years old, it's only understandable that some rides will need major refurbs.

What will be the next ride to bite the maintenance dust..

13 minutes ago, MattyMoo said:

I'm shocked that Ramases Revenge is still alive, and by god it's tried it's best to be sent to the scrapheap over the years, bless it's cotton socks.

I'm calling it. By the end of next year, it will be on the scrapheap.

On 5/9/2019 at 7:13 AM, JoshC. said:

A shame, and further testament to the lack of maintenance budget provided to the Merlin parks.

There's always budget for new investments (albeit smaller and smaller numbers as of late). And they have a bare minimum budget for maintaining attractions (ie: fix stuff so they're safe and that's about it). But if something goes wrong, you're screwed. And with Merlin parks having a good few rides from the 90s, which are now reaching 30 years old, it's only understandable that some rides will need major refurbs.

What will be the next ride to bite the maintenance dust..

vampire. that's lasted for years. will be sad when that goes

I think Vampire for now is safe, I don't see the park removing it for another 5 years or so and even then I don't think its too much of a maintenance nightmare (especially now with the vekoma trains.)

I think the next ride to face the Black Buccaneer fate is gonna be Rameses; Its rarely open, not very popular and overall I'm kinda shocked they haven't sent it to the scrapyard yet..

I think Samurai will soon face that same fate.. Merlin really don't like flat rides.. 

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I believe that during winter maintenance a major fault was found with the ride which couldn't be repaired. 

The park wanted to keep the ride but a replacement ship couldn't be gotten in so quickly, especially as the budget had already been spent elsewhere. So a quiet removal followed by a quiet reintroduction was decided upon.

Presumably it'll be of a similar size and scale to Black Buccaneer.

1 hour ago, JoshC. said:

I believe that during winter maintenance a major fault was found with the ride which couldn't be repaired. 

My assumption would be that the support beams holding the ride in place had cracks in which weren't repairable. When I worked at Chessington in 2018 it was a problem, hence the repaint to be grey (makes the cracks easier to see), but the ride didn't need to be closed yet.

On 1/27/2020 at 5:52 PM, JoshC. said:

I think theyd known it had age problems for years and they tried their hardest to keep the same ship going until it just couldnt get its certificate. This flogging a dead horse usually means they dont want to spend real money on it and it ends up removed (Skyway, Rameses etc). So it's a fantastic turn around that theyre actually going to get a new ship  now (it seems). I'm sure loads of guests will appreciate it! Good on the park

• Mattgwise changed the title to The Blue Barnacle (Previously Black Buccaneer)