It winds me up no end that Merlin parks seem to fail to do this kind of annual maintenance in the 4 months the parks are closed. How can such a big company struggle for money so much that this is necessary?

It's not just Merlin, Ceder Point failed to get a bunch of their biggest coasters open for the opening weekend. They had almost 7 months of closed season yet failed to do it. 

In the case of Black Buccaneer my guess is that they found out during closed season maintenance that more work was required than usual, understandably they tried to get as many rides ready as possible and come back to Black Buccaneer at a later date. 

I do agree Merlin should have done better but if even *Ceder Fair* couldn't get everything working for opening day after an even longer closed season then I don't think we should criticise Merlin too much.

It's almost as if the high winds had something to do with the amount of major rides opening at Cedar Point...........

People on Facebook are saying multiple staff members and even management have said it was meant to be done in March, but they haven't been able to because they need a crane to carry it out, and they can't get one in while people are in the park. Some have even said staff members have said it isn't coming back. Chessington actually acknowledged the conversation and just said to keep an eye on social media.

(Someone did also say that it has been removed permanently for that new water coaster we saw, so take the above with a pinch of salt of course)

Judging from the crane witness, I can assume Black Bucaneer is getting major work done to it and will hopefully reopen before super-peak season (July onwards). 

It could be a case that more work  was needed than first expected, but still isn’t great that a notable support ride is out of action three months into the main season. I get the impression the engineering department at all parks is down this year compared to previous ones. Understaffing and budgets are possible. 

As for those “staff say it’s not coming back because of 123 reasons”, that’s just general nonsense and wouldn’t believe anything until the park or a reliable source  officially announce anything. There’s been lots of silly rumours all over the years, from Swarm VR to that Flying Coaster in Canada Creek.