The Blue Barnacle (Previously Black Buccaneer)

I could not believe that Black Buccaneer was not on the Chessington & Zoo section but now it is! :)I rode this in the middle after not riding in ages and to be honest; I felt a bit sick after it and was quite happy to get off of it!Then again, the operator did give us two rides, so if it was just one, I probably would have been fine! :PAnyway...Any stories to tell about Black Buccaneer?Any thoughts?Yea... You get the picture!

I wouldn't have thought that sort of loading thing would work on a swinging ship? Why was it changed?Has anyone got a picture of it?

Unfortunately, I have failed to find a picture of the old loading style on the Black Buccaneer.But I can explain...Basically, the gates that are on the Runaway Train were used on Black Buccaneer for each row.Whereas now, you are just stopped at the gate and the staff member will count how many people go through and then ask you to wait once the capacity has been reached.Hope this helps :)

Ah thanks very much, but why was the old style of loading removed and surely this new style just causes a scramble for the back rows?Edit: Thinking about it , it's the same as The Blade's loading, and that works so I don't really see what I was talking about , thanks anyway :)

Ah thanks very much, but why was the old style of loading removed and surely this new style just causes a scramble for the back rows?

I agree that Black Buccaneer should have kept its old style of loading.I can not think of a reason neither why the older style loading was removed.The only things that I could just about think of was...1. Not busy enough really for Black Buccaneer needing loading gates.2. Electricity? :)

When I went to Chessington on 16th July.It was fairly busy and we ended up walking past Black Buccaneer.I did not relise how long of a queue Black Buccaneer actually got!(This could be because I do not tend to go on Black Buccaneer often).

So how long was it?

I think this is the only ride at chessington I have not done.

I used to always be able to do Black Buccaneer right at the back.However, now I can only ride it near the middle.I can still do Mr Monkey's Banana Ride and The Blade at the back. It is just Black Buccaneer that I can't! If you have not been on this yet Jake C, It is really simple, Go on it! :(If you like it, go on again. If you hate it, Don't ride it again! :(

• 1 month later...

I personally think that along with Billy's Whizzer, Black Buccaneer is Chessington's best ride. I find it quite odd that at Buccaneer the staff are encouraged to interact with the guests whereas on Blade at Alton Towers, the operators just look so bored and depressed.But yeah, love the Buccaneer, that low height restriction really disguises how intense the ride actually is.

I don't think it's Chessington's best ride, but it's definatley one of them.And I agree completely with everything else,It's location is also fantastic for the ride, the que is brilliant, and it really does give some great, intense airtime.Like you said the staff are brilliant unlike the Blade's who are totally uninterested in there job. A must ride for anyone visiting the park and certainly a hidden gem ;)

• Mattgwise changed the title to The Blue Barnacle (Previously Black Buccaneer)