Safari Skyway

Skyway is old and very unreliable. As its a convenient way to seeing the animals if you have young children, it often attracts lengthy queues, but this is also partly due to throughput. I think it can only get something like 850pph.

For these reasons, I believe its on the park's list for an 'upgrade' in the future.

At 850pph, that probably puts it as one of the highest throughput rides on park!

If it is 850pph, it is the highest throughput on park.

I think the realistic throughput was around 600 (come on skyway ops, remind me!) which'll put it on par with other attractions in Chessie.

600 is about right, it normally got 450 on average..

Surely Falls still holds the highest throughput on park these days?

God this thing needs a refurb, re-route, re-paint, re-everything quite frankly...

• Falls has a realistic of 1,200pph, Tomb's theoretical is the same (but it never achieves it).
  • Scorpion Express & Bubbleworks can do 1,100pph.
  • Zufari, with all trucks gets 1.000pph.
  • Fury gets 950pph, same with Rattlesnake.
  • Vampire can do 1,200pph on three trains, and I don't know what it gets on two, sorry.

They are the only rides that have anything above 800pph.

Hope this helps. :)

• Falls has a realistic of 1,200pph, Tomb's theoretical is the same (but it never achieves it).
  • Vampire can do 1,200pph on three trains, and I don't know what it gets on two, sorry.

There is no way Scorpion Express, Fury or Rattlesnake get those numbers (sure Mark9 will back me up on this)...

Vampire got 600-700 pph if I recall on 2 trains, but that was when operations on it weren't god-awful, so who knows what it's meant to get these days...

From what I recall other people saying, vampire is currently managing about 400/500pph and dragons fury is barely managing 800pph. I am also certain that tomb blaster, scorpion express, bubbleworks and zufari do not make high throughputs either.

As for dragon falls, that may reach 1000pph but if you exclude that, safari skyway is still highest throughput on park.

I am still very confused though, how is it getting a 50minute queue, it isn't really THAT exciting is it?

You're completely wrong on these.

I'm going to use throughputs from what I remember from the good old days (ie, the days when they pushed throughputs to their very maximum)

Falls is 800, Tomb is 800.

Bubbles is 700

Scorpion will be around 600

Zufari (this is the one I don't know but shall hazard a guess at 450, there is no possible chance of 1000 and I'd love to see how you came to that)

Fury is 600ish, Rattlesnake was 550?

Vamps highest we ever got was 1100 and that was a push. Two trains were 700/750.

Rattlesnake's absolute maximum is 400. It's more realistic number is 325, 400 is when all staff are working in harmony with minimum disruption from guests.

Fury's throughput record is 710, on eight cars with the best staff it had (so me and three Matt's ;) ). It hasn't run eight cars since 2005 and it never will again. So on seven cars a far likely number is the 640 mark. The 900 throughput put forward by Maurer is based on the ride running all 9 cars but it has never done this successfully when the parks been open.

So in other words the only time Fury gets 900 and Rattlesnake 800 is in our dreams.

You're completely wrong on these.

I'm going to use throughputs from what I remember from the good old days (ie, the days when they pushed throughputs to their very maximum)

Falls is 800, Tomb is 800.

Bubbles is 700

Scorpion will be around 600

Zufari (this is the one I don't know but shall hazard a guess at 450, there is no possible chance of 1000 and I'd love to see how you came to that)

Fury is 600ish, Rattlesnake was 550?

Vamps highest we ever got was 1100 and that was a push. Two trains were 700/750.

Google the throughput of a Mack Blauer Enzain, thats the capacity! ;) Zufari's throughput was stated in the plans, Bubble's was said by a Chessington engineer in a behind the scenes tour, and Falls, I was basing on Logger's capacity, a ride that has the same number of boats and a similar ride duration!

Now that you say it, Vampire was 1,100pph, sorry, forgot that one!

Google the throughput of a Mack Blauer Enzain, thats the capacity! ;) Zufari's throughput was stated in the plans, Bubble's was said by a Chessington engineer in a behind the scenes tour, and Falls, I was basing on Logger's capacity, a ride that has the same number of boats and a similar ride duration!

Now that you say it, Vampire was 1,100pph, sorry, forgot that one!

On RCDB it reckons Flying Fish can get 1'000, or Explorer at Mirabilandia can get 900... So even researching it gives variable answers...

I once again call onto Mark9 to give us a true answer...

Thing is, do any of Chessie's rides actually hit these theoretical capacities? That's the question that should be asked here...

Google the throughput of a Mack Blauer Enzain, thats the capacity!

It doesn't matter what google says or even what Mack says. Working on its predecessor (RIP Runaway) for four years, I know that on a good day it can get 650 pph maximum. Thats with two staff members checking bars, one from the back and one from the front of the train.

Edit to add:- I have no doubt Alpine Express at Europa Park gets way over the estimated capacity but there is the simple reason that they dispatch it again with ten seconds of offloading the previous guests. They don't check bars, they don't ask people to put bags on the exit platform. Majority of parks have faff with checking bars which brings the throughput down by a good 400 pph.

So if I'm taking kids in the week on a dry day there's a good chance it might actually be running?

Yes. I actually think its relatively reliable. The only reason it opened later this year was because they had to take some of the track away to allow building machinery to enter the park. The only time its down is due to wet weather and if you've been on it when the tracks wet it literally slides down the track by Sealife, the wheels are almost redundant.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

TBH I think Skyways had quite a lot of problems running this year (hopefully that creaky fire didn't impact the track). Remember seeing a train reversed down the track at somepoint followed by the ride closed for the remainder of the day.

Personsly I think Chessie should rebuild or extensively refurbish the ride as it's technically the oldest attraction there which will be 30 years in a couple of years as I think it opened before the rest of the park's rides. Doubt that'll ever happen though.

TBH I think Skyways had quite a lot of problems running this year (hopefully that creaky fire didn't impact the track). Remember seeing a train reversed down the track at somepoint followed by the ride closed for the remainder of the day.

That's just because the track goes uphill as it goes past Seastorm and the Carousel. If a train gets too close to one in front, the sensor on the front of a train will cut the power until the train in front has cleared. This happens a lot when there are too many trains parked outside the station.

• 10 months later...

So, it's been down for over a week now. I was positive it was going to be staying for a bit longer as I know they did lots of work on it at the tail end of last season and over the close season (I believe it went down for the rest of the season this time last year and didn't open again). I'm wondering how much longer it's going to be there for…. it's 30 years old next year, so surely age is an issue with it at the moment.