Safari Skyway

About a week ago, I emailed Chessington regarding the rides closure in 2016 and received the following:

"our Safari skyway ride is still currently closed due to ongoing maintenance. We can assure you our maintenance team are working very hard to ensure the ride is available as soon as possible. Please continue to keep an eye out on our website for further updates and information regarding our 2016 season. Thank you."

I know it's a standard reply thats sent out by the social media team but I would have hoped they would have said more if it was going….

About a week ago, I emailed Chessington regarding the rides closure in 2016 and received the following:

"our Safari skyway ride is still currently closed due to ongoing maintenance. We can assure you our maintenance team are working very hard to ensure the ride is available as soon as possible. Please continue to keep an eye out on our website for further updates and information regarding our 2016 season. Thank you."

I know it's a standard reply thats sent out by the social media team but I would have hoped they would have said more if it was going….

I don't think it is, apart from the queueline zero work has been done in the ride, unless they manage to click their fingers and have it done by March.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Just found this on the Chessington website:

Safari Skyway

Safari Skyway has been a firm favourite for many years and in fact was one of the original rides at Chessington Resort as it opened as a Theme Park back in 1987. As a result of ongoing maintenance issues, the decision has been made to retire Safari Skyway from the Chessington ride offering.  This was a difficult decision to make as we know the ride has been a firm favourite amongst our Adventurers over the years however with exciting new shows and attractions planned for the 2016 season and beyond, we’re committed to ensuring the continued development of the Resort.

Bye Skyway! 1986-2015.

Can't paste the link, but if you search 'Safari Skyway' on their website, you'll see the article….

As ancient as the ride was (and the fact it felt like it was falling apart), this will be a great loss to the park, not to mention one that was very coherent to it's market.

I'm just hoping an updated replacement will appear in the future 2017)? But then again.

Updated enclosures, puppet shows & even new paint can't heal a crippled park.

It's always a shame to see a ride go, but really? In the last 10 years it's been dire, with it only running over metal mesh and some tents. The way it's been kept too hasn't helped its situation, with the fact it's throughput is slower then a snail. 

It wasn't really a nice little ride whenever I rode it, just a break from walking tbh for me.

Well at least Trail of the Kings will be nicely painted to distract from Merlin laughing at those of you who still actually visit (only the ones on peak days).

The place needs money spent on it, not cut backs although it's been in this state for years. If they haven't got that yet, then they might as well bulldoze the place (well they kinda are themselves anyway).

Just found this on the Chessington website:

Safari Skyway

Safari Skyway has been a firm favourite for many years and in fact was one of the original rides at Chessington as it opened as a Theme Park back in 1987. As a result of ongoing maintenance issues, the decision has been made to retire Safari Skyway from the Chessington ride offering. This was a difficult decision to make as we know the ride has been a firm favourite amongst our Adventurers over the years however with exciting new shows and attractions planned for the 2016 season and beyond, we’re committed to ensuring the continued development of the Resort.

Bye Skyway! 1986-2015.

Can't paste the link, but if you search 'Safari Skyway' on their website, you'll see the article….

I have very mixed feelings about this

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Have to say I'm gutted - it was one of Chessies original rides although it has looked awful for the past few years - I've not actually been on it since 2013 as every time I have been to CWOA since, it has been closed.

Not massively surprised about the decision to close it - yeah it is old but as said before, could have lasted maybe longer if it was taken care of.  I remember the first time I rode it back in 1990 - it was so shiny and yellow! Would be great if they built a new monorail with a different route - won't hold my breath however

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
19 minutes ago, MattyMoo said:

Not having been to CWoa this year - does the rest of the Safari Skyway track remain in place other than in the photo above? 

It's gone around Market Square and the entrance as seen in the photo above but remains standing in Trail of the Kings.