'The Wizarding World of Harry Potter'

To be fair, very few parks would spend £100m+ on a new area.  Bar Disney, I don't even think any investment in Europe has ever reached the £40m mark?  

If Hartenhof at Efteling ever gets built it's likely to breach the 40m mark... But I think this is quite correct, closest park is probably Efteling because they love to spend money (because they're a charity)...

To be fair, very few parks would spend £100m+ on a new area.  Bar Disney, I don't even think any investment in Europe has ever reached the £40m mark?  

Well yeah duh. 100 million plus is what it would take to do a Harry potter area justice hence why the UK parks would never touch it. Ironically, an area of that magnitude pays for itself quickly with the huge jump in attendance and return visits (not to mention the amount of merchandise and butterbeer people are willing to wait hours for).

Still, we have Angry Birds so whose complaining. 

The Harry Potter Studio Tour in Watford is going to expand, if you didn't know already. They don't have permission to build a full theme park, however they plan on adding some rides to add to the experience, and a hotel. All "In the style of Universal Studios"...

They're building something out the front already with lots of rock work (when I went a few weeks ago) but I don't know if it's the expansion.

Escape from Gringotts looks good, but again it relies on screens rather than actual effects on most of it (judging from a POV).

I think, when used well and reasonably disguised, screens are a good subsitute for animatronics... Especially from a cost/maintenance perspective, plus the ability to do a whole lot more with little space in comparison...

Wish there was like a troll animatronic though in there to make the most of that sequence mind...

It's up to the park really to use the screens to their best possible advantage and ensure it doesn't look cheap and a poor substitute for effort and ability...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I adore The Wizarding World soo much. It is by far the best themed area I've ever seen. The amount of detail that has been put into every single paint drop and hinge throughout is bloody immaculate. And the rides, oh my god; Forbidden Journey & Gringott's are by far my favourite dark rides - so immersive and unique. I wish I didn't take it for granted while I was there, as it's unlikely I'll be returning for quite a few years.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree and I love this part of the park. I absolutely cannot wait to go back next year, last time we went the queues were so short that we had an awkward moment trying to enjoy the holographic scene in the Forbidden Journey queue and holding up people behind us (the ride was walk on at the time). So I look forward to being able to take the time to enjoy the surroundings and ride it at least twice!

• 7 months later...