Runaway Mine Train

D4n

What do people think on Alton Towers' Powered rollercoaster in Katanga Canyon, Runaway Mine Train! I've noticed that this ride has been getting increasingly popular recently, on my last 2 visits the queue has been out the entrance! It's definitely a winner against other Powered UK coasters, Runaway Train, Flying Fish and Buffalo Coaster are all pretty pathetic in comparison, and this ride is great for young children and thrillseekers alike!Also, I adore the theming! 8.5/10 :lol:

Believe it or not. After Nemesis being my favourite. The Runaway Mine Train is my second!I love this ride for its music, length and how it is really for all target groups.QueueOn my last visit to Alton Towers (ages ago), the queue extensions were not open. (or the time before in fact).Do they just not bother to open these and let the queue come out of the entrance or is their a reason?

its brilliant but that bell gets so F***ING annoying lol, when I was on it theres was this worker that had a growing disability but he was so awesome lol, gave hi 5's to ppl on train as it came through station and also there was a little boy crying and he let him go on again on the front car to cheer him up ;)

QueueOn my last visit to Alton Towers (ages ago), the queue extensions were not open. (or the time before in fact).Do they just not bother to open these and let the queue come out of the entrance or is their a reason?

RMT ride operatives make the decision as to whether or not to open the extension queue line at the start of the day, based on how busy the park is expected to be. On peak days the extension will be open, I recall on my last visit the extension was open and the queue was still going backpast Congo River Rapids and down towards Mutiny Bay. ;)

The Mine Train is sheer class, easily one of Alton Tower's best rides. It has a fun factor that the other powered rides in the country don't have and I really really love the way that as you go through the Rapids tunnel everyone waves at each other.The ride ops are also in my opinion the best team in the whole of the Merlin group. Always happy, always interactive and they always make it a pleasure to go on their ride.

• 3 years later...

They need to crane the front part of the mine train off to the workshop to work on it - they don't need the entire train, hence it being seperated. Katanga pathway is currently closed until they're able to complete this.

It's just maintenance, however yeah a few of their rides happen to be having issues at the same time or close to one another this year!