Greying / Blacking Out

Theme Park bloke

1 train again today... queued from the in queue shop with all shortcuts, and waited about half hour just because of 1 train operation, such a pain as all coasters were pretty much 30-45 minutes all day, and flats were like 5 or walk on!

anyway, wondering if anyone can help me... was on swarm (row 5 doubt that matters), on the left side (facing forwards) and going around the bend where the helicopter is, I looked back to see if the water effect was working (which it was to my surprise, and the fire was going off every time) but for the first time ever on a ride, my vision just started to disappear even with my eyes open!? only lasted a second or so and never completely lost vision but what sort of ride related torture effect on me is that lol, hope it's not a sign of things to come for me with rides!

so basically we've experienced some form of greying out... which is generally experienced by aircraft pilots pulling high positive g forces... yes I looked it up, and what  :ph34r:

Another common occurrence of greyouts are in roller coaster riders. Many roller coasters put riders through positive G forces,[4] particularly in vertical loops and helices. Roller coasters rarely have high enough negative G forces to induce redouts, as most low-G elementsare designed to simulate weightlessness.

I've only had that once - on the last spiral of Speed when it used to run faster. It's strange to say the least...

I've only been on speed twice, once this year, and last year... I can imagine when running well would be forceful and actually lasts quite a while. I find the last turn on nemesis inferno, and moreso the turn after the first inversion on nemesis two of the most forceful bit's on a rollercoaster I've been on, but they don't last long enough to cause anything I guess... not sure if the fact I looked backwards on the swarm and started to grey out as I turned back round had anything to do with it on this occasion as it's never happened before, and I hope not again as it is indeed strange!

This year has been the first time ever I've blacked out on rides..

Nemesis inferno on the barrel roll x2

Swarm helix round the helicopter x1

Boomerang x1

Boulder Dash x1

time machine x2

and I'm sure a couple others that I've missed... It's fascinating!

The only ride known to have regularly given red outs was intimidator 305 and maverick before the heart line was removed?

Wiki on greying out

I can't feel other peoples experiences obviously, but when people talk of graying/blacking out on coasters like The Swarm I'm not entirely sure that's what has happened to them.

I don't see that there is any element or combination of elements which could possibly do that on The Swarm, they are just not strong enough or prolonged enough. What I do sometimes get is a light headed feeling on The Swarm (mostly going into the stations flyover), on Colossus (through the rolls) and little spots on plenty of other coasters. I think a lot of people might feel that and think 'whoa, I was starting to grey out there' when really they weren't.

I think I'd like to retract this now! I have started to feel myself going recently during the station fly over, there's just something about that manouver that gets me and others too it seems. I'm sure it is running significantly faster as time goes on.

And agree about time machine, the sustained g's that thing subjects you to are incredible! Must be near the limit of what are allowed, love it.

I started getting worried about blacking out, as it was really bad on the Swarm at first. One of the only ones it isn't bad on is actually the Swarm any more, as I've ridden it enough times for my brain probably to get used to it. One of the worst was Nemesis for some reason, I barely remember my experiences on it.

I don't think I've ever specifically 'blacked/greyed out' on a coaster or any sort of ride.But during my last few visits to Thorpe, I've been coming off of a lot of the rides feeling rather faint and dizzy (however they may be due to the fact I'm eating less frequently than I would at home or school, as my blood sugars can easily drop quite fast).

I did go to the doctor about it as I was feeling that way for a few weeks after visiting in July to the point I had to stay off school as my legs would just fall from under me at times, and I just had a few blood tests and nothing was said to be wrong, odd

• 2 weeks later...

There's nothing 'wrong' with grey outs on a coaster. Most of them put your body through its paces, and I find myself greying out on Inferno and Swarm every time. I do find if I'm dehydrated it makes it worse. Nothing to worry about, unless you blackout on Saw due to it being a bumpy poor mans coaster. ;-)

Not quite the same thing, though all caused by pressure (I believe) but a lad next to me on Stealth yesterday, suffered a quite unexpected nose bleed as we cleared the braking zone; apparently the staff see it quite often. Luckily the lad was none the worse for it, and was able to leave under his own steam and was comfortable.