Tips for New Members!

James6

Recently I've noticed quite a lot of new members, a few of which have received many -1's. It's great we're getting new members but the post quality shouldn't be compromised.Therefore I thought it'd be handy for a Tips for New Members topic, where anyone can post tips or advice they think would be handy for new members to know.A few of mine:- Before anything else, read all Guidelines and rules topics- Before posting, I recommend watching the forum for a few days at least and seeing how it works, where information is, to minimize the amount of new topics where the information is somewhere else.- The obvious check, and check again spelling and grammar, just make sure it makes sense!Some of yours :) ?

A great topic, thanks James. Please don't be put off if some members are a bit forward with you at times for doing something wrong. Everyone makes mistakes, and we might just give friendly reminders once in a while. We're all friendly, and want you to have an enjoyable time on these forums!

Agreed, on forums in particular, you can read something and in your mind hear it as quite aggressive. Everyone on this forum that I've spoken to, is absolutely great fun and brilliant to talk to and discuss what we're all here for, Thorpe Park, Chessington and Alton Towers ( The main ones :) ) Usually things aren't intended as they come across.

I agree, great topic. I also agree that spelling, grammar and punctuation really does my head in. I know that I make occasional mistakes, especially when using the phone, but read what you have written. If it doesn't make sense to you, it won't make sense to anyone else.For all members, old and new, we should be like one big happy family. There's no need to pick on new members, nobody is better than anyone else ... except those with their names in lights!

Nice topic James,If you forget to proof read your post, and then realise that you have made some mistakes, edit it, I have noticed that some people do not edit their posts even after being told they have made an error, also don't double post, if you have a question or something you would like to post in the same topic and you were the last poster, edit your post.

I have minus points but I have said some pointless things, the only thing I wish is that people give you plusses more so that you can make up for minuses

Well people will give you plusses if they like your post, if you consistently get minus's and it bugs you, have a think about the way you post and see if you can find any reasons as to why you might be minuses. (I'm not saying your posts are bad as I haven't noticed this, but if you've noticed you're getting minus's then maybe they could be improved)Personally I don't think the plusses and minuses things aren't something to be majorly worrying about.

Eventually the plus/minus thing will balance out. I started off with a few minus' but as others have said, it's nothing to worry about. I'd just think extra carefully when your posting.Another thing I've noticed though lately with all these new members is the amount of pointless new topics,New people's :) I recommend you really do search everywhere to see if a similar topic exists, and then ask yourself is it really 100% relevant, or are people going to find it interesting/fun to talk about.An idea I had recently is, too create a few more roles in the forum and have a couple of "Forum Manager" type roles, where 2 people especially knowledgeable about that particular park would get that role and can patrol that forum and make admins lives easier. Also new members could PM a Forum Manager about whether a topic is worth starting.So there could be 2 Forum Managers for Thorpe Park2 Forum Managers for Chessingtonand 2 Forum Managers for Alton TowersWhat do you guys think? :) I was pretty pleased with myself when I thought it up. :(

Obviously the forum has to have some degree of moderation and a few house rules to keep everything in order, and I personally feel at the moment things are working. But obviously, what members think is just as important as what we do, if not more as its you who make's the forum what it is. So if anyone does have any suggestions / problems or concerns with how the forums are please do not hesitate to let me know in a PM / Email and I'll look into it for you :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

One thing to learn quickly is that you should keep away from 'certain' members... No matter how discriminatory that sounds it is a very important tip for new members! You don't want to be deemed "not worthy of being a member of Mania Hub" like I was! ;)

Yeah no matter how you worded that, offence was taken. Noted and have fun.My tip is not to use annoying colours that hurt other peoples eyes when posting, black is the new all colours =D