Hyde Park Winter Wonderland

Topsyturvy15

Hello!

I live in London but have surprisingly never been to WW because of prices and business. However, as a certain 5-looping coaster will be there this year, I decided that I must make the trip.

So I have some first time questions for visiting that I'd appreciate you answering:

• Is there a ride wristband? If yes how much is it and when is it available?
  • When will it be quitest? Early on a weekend or a weekday evening?
  • Everyone says WW is ridiculously expensive, but how much would a thrilling ride cost? Say Olymipa, would that be over a £10?
  • Lastly, what are the best flat rides to go on - I'll only go on 2-3 but I want to chose wisely if the pices are as high as I imagine!

Many thanks

There are no wristbands, however their preview night has them and is stupidly good value which might be worth looking into...

Busy times vary, obviously early doors on a weekend starts quiet but gets packed quickly, evenings I'm not sure on...

I reckon it'll be a tenner for Olympia... Not been confirmed yet, but at Vienna it was €8.50 per ride...

Depends on what flats there are, I would recommend Hotel Alpen funhouse though...

I've always been on a Friday at varying times.
Mornings/early afternoon it is really quiet, you can sit on a ride for a few mins while they wait for other riders to send it off, sometimes they send it off right away.
Last year they sent just me and a friend on Top Spin, this was later afternoon/early evening. You get good length ride cycles whatever you're on.

In the evenings from say 7-9 is packed, you expect to queue quite a while for some rides, but again you still get the same good length ride cycles.

Yes it is expensive, from what I remember, most bigger rides start at £6/7. Overall I'd say yes it is not cheap but it's a great atmosphere, there's lots going on and the rides and the cycles they operate provide good value.

Tom.

Edit:
If you've never experience the big German fun houses and that, then give them a go, they're good fun.

On 8 November 2016 at 7:43 AM, CharlieN said:

Hello!

I live in London but have surprisingly never been to WW because of prices and business. However, as a certain 5-looping coaster will be there this year, I decided that I must make the trip.

So I have some first time questions for visiting that I'd appreciate you answering:

• Is there a ride wristband? If yes how much is it and when is it available?
  • When will it be quitest? Early on a weekend or a weekday evening?
  • Everyone says WW is ridiculously expensive, but how much would a thrilling ride cost? Say Olymipa, would that be over a £10?
  • Lastly, what are the best flat rides to go on - I'll only go on 2-3 but I want to chose wisely if the pices are as high as I imagine!

Many thanks

As a regular attender each year(been visiting since 2011-2012 and went three times last year!) here is my advice for you: 

If you want value for money: the best and only option for good value for money is the preview night on Thursday 17th at 5-9pm, it's relatively busy however you can get on pretty much everything you want to in the time available.

If you want the best atmosphere: Don't go on the preview night, everything is just getting started up and they have to get into the swing of things so it's all a bit here and there and you get less of that winter magic feeling, the best atmosphere tends to be on Friday, Saturday or Sunday evenings when it's bustling, there's lots of colourful lights, smells and lots of live music going on.

The quietest times tend to be weekend mornings between 10-12 and then it tends to build up in business in the afternoon and then peaks in the evening around 7-8 I would say. Also off peak weekdays will tend to be quiet, especially weekdays in November, from morning Til afternoon then it builds up in the evening. Once we start approaching Christmas, weekdays tend to get a lot busier as people are off school or work etc.

The only ride I can confirm the price of this year is "The Yeti"(Jump&Smile) which will be priced at £4. So I can give you a rough outline of prices and then if you drop me a message after the preview night I can hopefully give you a full list of pricing once I find out what the pricing structure is this year :)

Ride prices are roughly as follows:

Medium Sized Flat Rides and Funhouses- about £3-£5 ( for example Ski Jump, Snow Jet, Irrgarten, WW Express, Alpen Hotel etc) The minimum price for anything will about £3 and to be honest these days it's hard to find anything priced at less than £4. (Last year a very good haunted house walk through was priced at £3 however don't think it's returning this year but I will wait and see)

Larger Flat Rides and Rollercoasters- about £6-£8 (e.g. Maus XXL, Ice Mountain, Hangover, Air, XXL, Starflyer etc).

Gladiator was priced at £9 last year and was giving poor cycles so would advise staying away from that as it is unlikely to be worth it, especially if it's busy and they are only giving 60 second rides! Olympia Looping is likely to be priced between £9-£12 however I cannot confirm this Til nearer the time.

In terms of the best rides to go on!:

If you are a fan of rollercoasters I recommend Ice Mountain, Wild Maus XXL and Olympia looping- this should cost you about £22-£24.

Stay away from the Euro Coaster or the Spinning Wild Maus in Santa Land as Ice mountain is much better.

If you are a fan of flat rides there are so many to choose from so it depends on personal preference really. If you are a regular on the UK fair circuit and only want to experience foreign rides I would recommend:

XXL- priced at £8 last year, gives about a 4minute cycle when it's less busy, 2-3mins when it's busy.

Hangover the Tower- priced at £8 last year, gives a drop at 40m and a drop at 85m when it's less busy and only one drop from 85m in crowded times. 

Snow Jet- priced at £5 last year, cycles can range from 2-6minutes.

If you want to experience some UK flat rides too I would recommend:

Ski Jump- priced at £5 last year, can give between a 2-5minute cycle roughly, great ride, formerly known as rock rage and great value for money.

Air- priced at £7 last year and another personal favourite.

I would personally say stay away from the Starflyer as this usually gives very short rides and is usually priced at about £8.

If you are a big fan of Funhouses the best ones are the Irrgarten and the Alpen Hotel, also "Fire department" is a new addition from the Netherlands this year and also looks good so that may be worth a try. 

Hope this helps a bit and message me if you have any questions :)

5 minutes ago, PasajeDelTerrorFan said:

Also not sure if Rock Rage is gonna be called ski jump this year as there is an actual Ski Jump ride going (the one thats called flying coaster that is the weird flat on a track). there is a capriolo this year but it's the mini one owned by Van Reken called No Limits.

I personally haven't heard anything to say that Rock Rage will not be called Ski Jump this year- as far as I'm aware they have all the theming from previous years as well as all the jingles programmed in already so it seems like an unlikely change- either of the two rides with clashing names may be called something different on the map however. I think it's a case of wait and see with this one.

And yes there is a Mondial Furioso, known as "No Limit" from the Netherlands instead of Joillet's Maxximum 2 Capriolo this year. 

Havent anything about confirmation of OL pricing anywhere myself, where did you hear this?

1 minute ago, TPJames said:

I personally haven't heard anything to say that Rock Rage will not be called Ski Jump this year- as far as I'm aware they have all the theming from previous years as well as all the jingles programmed in already so it seems like an unlikely change- either of the two rides with clashing names may be called something different on the map however. I think it's a case of wait and see with this one.

And yes there is a Mondial Furioso, known as "No Limit" from the Netherlands instead of Joillet's Maxximum 2 Capriolo this year. 

Havent anything about confirmation of OL pricing anywhere myself, where did you hear this?

Heard about OL from a WW group on facebook. was confirmed by the people who own the crane which builds up Olympia 

4 minutes ago, PasajeDelTerrorFan said:

Heard about OL from a WW group on facebook. was confirmed by the people who own the crane which builds up Olympia 

Thanks for the information.

Having said that though, Air started off at £6 a couple of years back and when trade was going well they took up the opportunity to increase it to £7, so I could easily see them doing the same with Olympia once it gets busier if trade is going well.

Just now, TPJames said:

Thanks for the information.

Having said that though, Air started off at £6 a couple of years back and when trade was going well they took up the opportunity to increase it to £7, so I could easily see them doing the same with Olympia once it gets busier if trade is going well.

Wouldn't surprise me. OL is all built up now also and only has the station and a few theming pieces to go. also the ride will be called Munich Looping instead of Olympia. this is due to rules on not being able to use Olympic theming in the UK so you won't see barely any Olympic theming on the ride at WW

What helpful people you are!

I'm currently thinking of going early on a Tuesday afternoon when my school has a half day.

As for rides, I'll go on Munich Looping (as £9 doesn't seem that bad), either wild maus xxl or Ocr Mountain and a couple of flats:

The flats that are most appealing RN are the drop tower, xxl, air, ski jump and the spinny thing that @PasajeDelTerrorFan Mentioned earlier!

And @TPJames, could I ask you for a full price list after preview night please? It would be much appreciated,

I'd always say try something more than once at WW, if you ride any of the flats during peak hours then yes you might get a shorter ride & be less impressed. Wilde Maus XXL works the other way round, trim brakes are often turned off / reduced during peak times to allow cars to complete the circuit faster to boost throughput, in the day you will feel the cars trimmed more to reduce wear and tear. Observe a ride before you take it on. I will agree - Rock Rage (Ski Jump) can be a culprit of that as can the Turbine (Gladiator / Blizzard), rode Gladiator in Tilburg, in the Netherlands this year and got 8 minutes on it during the day & a cycle like that will really show you what movements them things can do!

Very much looking forward to this year's event though - every year I say it'll be the best yet and that couldn't be truer this year! Although unfortunately the Breakdance will not be returning this year, Super Spin has been drafted in as it's replacement after a deal couldn't be reached to bring the Breaker back.

Just now, 'Airtime Falcon' said:

I'm just wondering as to why they have chosen to have a Mondial Capriolo 10 and a Mondial Turbine at the same event. But then again, they have had a KMG Afterburner and a KMG Freak Out together.

And also, why does The Turnine and the Capriolo rides have the fans above the gondolas?

The Capriolo this year is a Furioso, the smaller model with 8 seats (still packs a punch), the Capriolo/Furioso & Turbine provide quite different ride experiences, Turbine is quite gracious however the Capriolo/Furioso is rather intense when run properly.

The fans are entirely for effect! :good:

I'm still questioning the flats I'll do at WW - the cost means that I don't want to do many so I think I shall choose them carefully.

I think I'll do 2/3 out of xxl, ski jump, air and turbine. Not sure which ones to do yet though. 

If anyone's been in previous years, what were your favourite flats and what would you recommend for me to do?