Hyde Park Winter Wonderland

Topsyturvy15

26 minutes ago, pluk said:

My first VR experience at a theme park was in Pleasurewood Hills in about 1991, was a headset, moving chair, and glove to interact in the VR world. So it's been about quite a while!

Is that not more akin to, say, a 4D cinema though? A very different scenario if so, and yes, one that has been around since the late 80s!

I agree that cleanliness and practicality is a huge problem, and perhaps will always be one. I guess that's something which, in time, AR could be a solution to - just having googles that can overlay graphics onto the real world seems like a significantly smoother approach. 

Europa have probably consisting got VR right (or, at least, as right as you can get for now!) all the time through their implementation. The idea of putting VR goggles on before riding and integrating the boarding experience in the VR world is amazing, and again something which I think would be a part of the future successes of VR.

4 hours ago, Ringo said:

On the subject of cleaning headsets, how often does DBGT get cleaned because it’s certainly wasn’t after each go as when they were holding people right outside the carriage you were sent straight in as soon as the exit side opened

They get cleaned whilst your in the tunnel scene as far as I know!

46 minutes ago, Benin said:

Bit of an issue surely if they're not cleaning them between different groups? Especially given there seems to be a chance that two people would wear one headset given seating arrangements?

That’s what I was thinking, cleaned while in the tunnel get back on watch last video end of ride then new people get on and put uncleaned headsets on

That is how it has been from the very start too for the record, not something which they changed.

There had been discussions about how best to do it, and that's clearly what was agreed on. Not all public / entertainment VR headsets are cleaned after every use, so it's not actually as uncommon as you'd think.

I imagine that, on the whole, anytime you put a headset on in DBGT, it's (hygienically speaking) cleaner than, say, a roller coaster backrest. But of course, the obvious concern is that you're putting this next to your eyes, where problems can rise significantly easier. 

I don't think any problems have arose aside from the odd bit of makeup being leftover on headsets. Whether that's because Thorpe have got the cleaning thing right or if they're playing with fire, though, is unclear...

Oh it's obviously a general issue with all VR based attractions, but the majority at least clean them either in between cycles or have a bulk load of them...

I mean the amount of cleaning just those crap little 3D glasses get over the course of their life (granted they can go through industrial steamers which helps) but should anything happen they've not really got a leg to stand on... Least Towers can say the their stuff got cleaned between dispatches...

41 minutes ago, Benin said:

Least Towers can say the their stuff got cleaned between dispatches...

I don’t know about that when it opened they were using 1 wipe to clean 1 row so the dirt was simply moved from each headset meaning only one headset actually got cleaned. Whether that’s changed now who knows as I certainly don’t queue up for VR but it was noticed by a lot at the time 

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, UserLikeNoOther said:

I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread, but I'm just wondering what the prices are for the rides this year as I am going for the first time - thanks

Olympia Looping, Blizzard, Sling shot, Dr Archibald- £9 pp

Hangover, XXL, air, Wild Maus XXL- £8pp

Other cossters are normally £6 pp and smaller flat rides are £4 or £5 pp.