Hyde Park Winter Wonderland

Topsyturvy15

• 5 months later...

Winter Wonderland have started sending out feeler surveys for this years event.

Seems as if they are going down the route of one of two options:

1) Timed entry - Unlimited rides - Ticket price ranging from somewhere in-between £30-£60 if we go by prices on the survey.

2) Electronic preloaded wristband with ride credits.

Obviously I think the 1st option would be better and wouldn't mind paying £30 -£60 though who knows the quality of attractions this year.

But I think its clear that at this point the event will be pre-book only.

The event will definitely have to take place as a "temporary theme park" rather than a funfair. All funfairs have now been cancelled until at least November in Germany and it's inevitable it will be the same here. There's absolutely no way winter wonderland would be able to take place in the regular formatting and big changes will have to be made, for example distancing markers, hygiene stations, limited capacity and as you say pre-book only. I wouldn't be surprised if there were no beer tents and live music too.

As for what attractions come across. The majority of the showmen in all countries have been really struggling throughout this time with limited financial support and not able to host any events. I think the demand for a position at winter wonderland would actually be higher than ever from the showmen as they will be desperate to make some turnover. Winter wonderland is a very established and popular event and I imagine the demand for pre-booked slots would be high. Therefore I also imagine the demand for a position for the attractions would also be high.

However, no one knows whether this virus is seasonal etc and what will happen with a second wave. If everything is locked down again in the winter months, winter wonderland wont happen at all. But if they are able to open, they could perhaps be very successful as a "pop up theme park" rather than a mass gathering set-up.

If international travel is possible come October and there isn't a significant second wave or lock down, I think the line-up of attractions could be as strong as usual. Would definitely see Olympia looping coming back onto this soil if they are able to do so, as they can turn a big profit here. 

15 hours ago, TPJames said:

The event will definitely have to take place as a "temporary theme park" rather than a funfair. All funfairs have now been cancelled until at least November in Germany and it's inevitable it will be the same here. There's absolutely no way winter wonderland would be able to take place in the regular formatting and big changes will have to be made, for example distancing markers, hygiene stations, limited capacity and as you say pre-book only. I wouldn't be surprised if there were no beer tents and live music too.

As for what attractions come across. The majority of the showmen in all countries have been really struggling throughout this time with limited financial support and not able to host any events. I think the demand for a position at winter wonderland would actually be higher than ever from the showmen as they will be desperate to make some turnover. Winter wonderland is a very established and popular event and I imagine the demand for pre-booked slots would be high. Therefore I also imagine the demand for a position for the attractions would also be high.

However, no one knows whether this virus is seasonal etc and what will happen with a second wave. If everything is locked down again in the winter months, winter wonderland wont happen at all. But if they are able to open, they could perhaps be very successful as a "pop up theme park" rather than a mass gathering set-up.

If international travel is possible come October and there isn't a significant second wave or lock down, I think the line-up of attractions could be as strong as usual. Would definitely see Olympia looping coming back onto this soil if they are able to do so, as they can turn a big profit here. 

Nobody, bar a few enthusiasts will go to a pop up theme park, Winter wonderland makes its money by packing out the beer tents. I'm sure it will be the same of purchasing a drinking session with limited capacity

16 hours ago, Glitch said:

Nobody, bar a few enthusiasts will go to a pop up theme park, Winter wonderland makes its money by packing out the beer tents. I'm sure it will be the same of purchasing a drinking session with limited capacity

I'd like a fact check on this please. 

20 hours ago, Glitch said:

Think you are completely wrong on that one. 

On 6/21/2020 at 3:34 PM, Glitch said:

Winter Wonderland has grown tremendously over the years, and a big part of that has been the increase in the theme park / attraction side of things. There's a reason why Olympia Looping, one of, if not, the, most famous travelling rides in the world, comes every year. And it's the only place outside of the official Oktoberfest setting where it uses 7 car trains. That's not just because of "a few enthusiasts".

WW works well because it has everything - the rides, the beer tents, the music, the market stalls and everything else. Take away any one of those things and it won't be as popular as it is.

Also, 2.5m people every year aren't flocking all the way to Hyde Park to drink in a tent.

• 2 months later...

CHRISTMAS IS CANCELLED FOLKS!

To a large degree that is unfortunately true as Corona Virus has lead to the organisers of Winter Wonderland cancelling this years event.

Official wording states:

Dear Hyde Park Winter Wonderland family,

It is with a heavy heart we share that Hyde Park Winter Wonderland will not be taking place this year.

Hyde Park Winter Wonderland has always been about bringing friends and family together in a fun, safe and interactive environment to celebrate the festive season. Our team has worked tirelessly, exploring every possible option in the hopes of being able to move forward with the event in a responsible manner and provide London with some much-needed festive cheer.

However, in light of ongoing health concerns, travel restrictions and uncertainty surrounding COVID-19, and considering the size and scale of this event, we just couldn’t find a way to do that without compromising the magical attractions, shows, rides, bars and experiences that make Hyde Park Winter Wonderland so special.

We know how disappointing this news will be for the millions of people we usually welcome each season. And we can assure you we share your disappointment, having put a lot of work, sweat and even some tears into trying to make this year’s event possible.

Thank you so much for your ongoing support and please stay safe. We cannot wait to bring friends and family back together to celebrate the festive season at Hyde Park Winter Wonderland in 2021.”

Sad but not surprising at all. Wake me up, when Corona ends!

Agreed, completely inevitable.

Sorry to not be mr positive, just my opinion, but I think big events are still gonna have issues next year as I can't see a vaccine until at LEAST this time next year, probably later. I think a lot of 2021 and big events will have similar fate to this year. I think 2022 will be when we really see events make a comeback. 

• 11 months later...

Tickets are out for those signed up to the emails.

Tickets will come in three options...

1. Off peak - free - tends to be mornings of weekdays Mon to Thurs outside of school holidays.

2. Standard - £5 - afternoons and mornings of weekends, weekdays of school holidays as well as all day Friday.

3. Peak - £7.50 - afternoon/evenings of saturdays and Sundays.

Interested to see how they'll manage this as there's no set timed sessions apart from the entry. Once in you can stay as long as you like. 

Example... 

Screenshot_20210803_113608_com.android.chrome.jpg

• 4 months later...

*blows cobwebs from topic*

This weekend I finally returned to Winter Wonderland, after nearly two years. 

The new revised pre-paid time slot procedure is annoying (and will probably remain forever), although made entry noticeably more efficient. N.B if you buy attractions in advance, it cancels the entry-fee. 

Was great to finally be back and take in the event’s vibrant atmosphere. From it’s festive music, lights and countless attractions and market stalls. I’ve honestly forgotten how fun this place is, despite the crowds and prices (which you need a mortgage for no doubt).

Went on six attractions in the end, three of which were pre-booked.

Airborne was my first ever booster, so much fun but a shame it couldn’t be longer. The Apres Ski Funhouse was lots of fun, especially when Mr Fish is in-front. Avoid Small World! It is the worst dark ride I have been on and makes Boo Blasters look alright. 

Re-rode regulars Munich Looping, Hangover & Wild Maus XXL. Great to be back on these again, but a shame a number of features were not working on the Maus that evening. 
AE418808-C6B8-4021-B79C-B7B87EE775C0.thumb.jpeg.e3d58124420a9cd680f68c901605d45a.jpeg
I end this update from a photo, taken from Apres Ski.

Visit if you can, while you can!