Musicals

Lordcutter6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Posted ImageWhilst in New York, I saw the new Broadway revival of...Posted ImageI must say, one of the best musicals I have seen! The plot wasn't overly complicated but was surprisingly coherent for a musical, which I think is a perfect balance. The musical numbers - all fantastic and great choices for the period and mood of the piece - included "I Get a Kick Out of You", "Anything Goes" (Who'd have guessed?) and "It's De-Lovely". Set design was also very strong; in the large-scale music and dance scenes it was lavish and grand, but in the more character-driven scenes it was simpler, which allowed for more audience focus on the action itself. Finally, it must be said an absolutely outstanding cast. Joel Grey and Sutton Foster in particular were excellent.I really hope it comes to London soon, as many recent Broadway productions have, because I would love to see it again! The new revival cast soundtrack is released on September 20th, and will be setting sail for my iPod immediately!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Since November we have been to see The Lion King, Spamalot and whilst it is not strictly a musical we also went to see The Circus of Horrors.Over the next few months we also have tickets booked for Sweeney Todd, Avenue Q and Cirque Du Soleil and cannot wait to see them! :)I would also love to see Matilda as it looks amazing and we will definitely be going to see The Book of Mormon when it finally opens over here.

Oh so it has a start date/month now? :D That's great news. Are you a fan of their other work e.g. South Park, Team America? If so have you seen Cannibal the Musical?

Most definitely, unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure of seeing Cannibal the Musical, seen a few clips on YouTube though,Shpadoinkle!

• 2 weeks later...

A Thanks to Phill Pritchard there for mentioning his tickets to Avenue Q, Which then made me realise they must be on tour and now I have found the venues I will be booking this up soon. When it was showing in London I was obssesed with this show - to the point I actually went to see it with a puppet!Last week I went to see the Rock Of Ages, It's not the best or the worse I have seen but it does rate in my Top 10, and the narrator Ronnie in it is completely hilarious. I still can't get over the fact that Justin Lee Collins is in a musical. However It was still extremely good fun and would recommend it to people. At the end of the month I will be seeing the wizard of oz as Russell Grant is currently playing the wizard of Oz and I can just see him playing it will be hilarious.My favourite West End shows I have seen so far will probably have to be We Will Rock You, Blood Brothers, Avenue Q, Mamma Mia and Oliver.

• 4 years later...

Thought Id resurrect this thread to express my desire to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory before it closes! Musicals aren't usually my sort of thing but I became sort of fascinated with CaTCF after doing it in the school production year 6 and the musical just looks perfect. I sort of studied it after we did the play and have picked it up again now. Its sort of a more modern take on the story with some major changes, most notably Mike Teavee who is now a cyberbully with ADHD whos mother is an alcoholic. There's a full recording of the show out there on YouTube - but I won't link it as they've taken down every other one. Here is one of the songs by Douglas Hodge (the first and best Wonka out of 3) from the CD:

and an audio recording with new Wonka Jonathan Slinger:

And the trailer:

I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with family at the end of August, not a bad musical but definitely not the best one I have seen. 

I've seen a few musicals up at the West End, as I'm fond of the performing arts.

My favourite has got to be Phantom of the Opera; you can't beat it. Also high up are the Lion King, Memphis and War Horse. 

I'm in Annie at the Theatre Royal Windsor at the end of the month, as a supporting cast member (a step up from being in the chorus). It's only an amateur production, but performing there is going to be fun!

• 3 months later...