Ferrari World Abu Dhabi

ZC2009

I was going to comment with a counter, but I actually completely agree. There was so much potential with this second half and instead it looks like someone got a bunch of skyrush elements and just stretched them as far as they could. This second half could really use some of the more intamin like snappy elements that it's newer rides like i305 and Skyrush are renowned for.

• 3 months later...
On 15/12/2015 at 7:39 PM, BaronC. said:

So whilst Flying Aces currently has the tallest loop in the world (at about 171ft), it won't for much long.  This Intamin shuttle coaster at Wanda City Hefei, in China, will have a 187ft tall non-inverting loop, which is currently being constructed...

12391127_1493903067581753_51473900046868

On a side note, this Wanda park is also rumoured to be getting duelling tilt coasters too, which is nice.

Pretty much the complete definition of off topic, but if anyone was curious, this thing (called Flight of the White Dragon) is now open testing:

So Flying Aces no longer has the 'tallest loop' record.  But it still has the completely pointless 'steepest (non-vertical) lift hill on a coaster' record.  Yay.

EDIT:  Apparently the park doesn't open until September.  Whoops.  And some translations suggest it's called the much less awesome-sounding 'White Dragon in the Sky'.    

Edited by BaronC.

• 1 month later...

Ferrari World's next phase of development is "due for completion in early 2017", according to a senior executive (Linky). This is widely assumed to include the new SFX coaster (Mission Ferrari, originally slated to open in 2015), and the shuttle coaster (Vortex, with track expected to shoot vertically up through the centre of the building). In the meantime, the park is putting on some pretty imaginative Eid celebrations:

Eid celebrations at Ferrari World Abu Dhabi - in pictures

<Shameless plug>

Having enjoyed my trip to the UAE so much in 2014, I'm organising a much larger group trip to return in March 2017, for the European Coaster Club. If you have ever wanted to do the parks of the Middle East, but not had the chance, please join us! There are well over 50 signed up already, and with some luck we'll be able to tour Ferrari's new rides, alongside the 4 new Parks opening in the region just this year.

The invite is here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45676878/ECC_Invites/UAE_2017_Invite_UK.pdf, and the deadline for booking is 24th July. Throw any questions over to me via a PM :).

</shameless plug>

• 7 months later...

So Phase 2 is happening with the shuttle coaster:

It's now called 'Turbo Track' and is meant to simulate what it's like to be a Ferrari test driver.

The track has a max height of 210ft (64m), which is apparently the tallest point on Yas Island, and a max speed of 63mph.  It also has forward and backward facing seats, 

What is impressive is how this has had the hole in the building custom made for this, which I imagine is something easier said than done.

Here's a couple of nice pictures too...

TurboTrack-2.jpg

TurboTrack-1.jpg