The Challenge #2

James6

Challenge #2  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets your Vote?

Yeah me again. Though you're probably sick of me asking questions, I've got one.When we present the idea, can we do it like a Press Release? IE - Give the Bird's Eye view, then some 'marketing' explaining everything. If so, I'll try not to go too off the subject - so no need to worry about that. :PTa.EDIT to below comment: Cheers. Got my idea written down, and will slowly work through it during the week. :P

Posted Imageare proud to announce the launch of a new area for the 2011 season.This area will be called The Lost Abyss and will be located behind Stealth.The area will be themed around crazyness and will home the Asylum horror maze at Fright NightsHere is the plan that have been approved by the local council...Posted ImagePosted Image Double Sighted is a B&M dueling inverted coaster, this coaster will be two rides in one, one themed around light the other around darkness. The queue will keep as one line until just before the station where it splits to go off to both stations. The ride features 8 near miss sections and both coasters will go up a 125ft lift hill, Light reaching speeds of upto 65mph Darkness 60mph. The having a joint inversion count of 8. Posted ImageSurge is currently Rush but will be re-located and re-themed. Other features.The Double Sighted Shop will have O.R.P for both the sets of dueling coasters. Also will be selling Thorpe Park merchandise and will also sell the regular items such as soft drinks and sweets.There will also be various pieces of theming in and around the queue lines also during peak times there will be actors around the area who fit in with the theme Eg. someone wearing a straight-jacket.The area will also be home to The Asylum maze for Frights Nights behind Surge.

Those plans look really great :PA couple of points though,1. Remember you have almost a week so you can take your time if you wish :huh:2. Thorpe Park already has a B&M Inverted, having 3 wouldn't make a huge amount of sense.Apart from those small things it really does look great, Your application will definately be considered :PEdit: Also if you could elaborate on your ideas that would be good, possible elements of the coaster, theming in the queue, theming in the area, space for possible future developments, what they could be, etc :P ? The more detail the better :P

There is quite a range of different possibilitiesReally it depends what your most comfortable doing. For example you can do a sketch in paint, or do what Jake C did and use an ariel picture which you can get from Google Maps.You could also just get a blank sheet and use a program such as Picasa ( great little picture thing from google, free of course) and just re-arrange a few pictures in places that you would want your area to be, and to show where your attrations are going to be.There are tons of ways, and its just about your way. I hope I've helped, if not PM me and I'll try again :P

No problem :PLooks good :P Just a couple of things, - Not sure there would be the need for 2 Mack Twist 'N' Shouts- We are looking for a really strong theme, I would like to see how this theme could be expanded, and an idea of the area, possible buildings etc- Also , this is a theme park, and I and the rest of the Merlin board ( :P) would much prefer there to be theme music and not regular chart songs.As I keep drilling in, the focus is the detail, ride types, ride elements, main points throughout the rides, why you've chosen those rides etc etcAs much as you can possibly think of, let your minds run free, you have the oppurtunity to be our new Creative Designer :P !

Comments for Jake C's post....No problem, I'll make some comments and leave you something to think about. First of all, it's a nice concept, and there is a lot of effort and work gone into your planning. Also, I think it's great with birds-eye view plan, really helps to visualise the area. Right, if you want a negative, I think your area has too many attractions. This could be sorted out by limiting the area to one simulator. Why did you choose to have two side-by-side in the same area? I read the plans but it wasn't quite clear. Something I really like, is the continuation of the Mystic East / Dragon Falls theme into your area / coaster. This is effective, and I feel that this area would be a fantastic opportunity for some very quality theming. I'm interested by your idea for a Mack Coaster. Could you provide any further ideas for track specification? Approximate speed? If you're really into it, maybe you could create a recreation of what this coaster might look like on NoLimits or RCT3?

ive decided to get rid of mine as I did not like it, sorry james. ill have a more realistic one and with better grammer on friday. :P I'm also sorry paul I feel you are right with two many attractions and make plans more easier sorry guys.

If I were you, I'd keep the original concept you had. It was new, exciting, and nothing like there is already. If anything, just elaborate on your previous ideas.

Chessinton World of Adventures is pleased to announce that for the 2011 season a new land will open : TropicanaMain Attraction : Rapids - Themed around a tropical river, boats are themed as pinapples. A series of short bends taken at quick speed is followed by an entrance into the tunnel.As you enter the tunnel you pass under a small waterfall which will make you wet! The tunnel is themed as if you are going into a cave by the sea. You can see gold all around you. You continue around the course with some very strong rapids which will also make you wet! Youre picture is taken here. After a few bends you come back to the station.Attraction - A ride similar to Zodiac at thorpe park (sorry my knowledge of ride makers isn't good) with the centre support being a palm tree and you sit in Pineapples.Shop - A restaurant called "Hola" which will serve cold Hawaain food You enter the land under two palm trees.Situated here : albe to enter thorugh Wild Asia and Mystic East - Possible room for expansion behindI AM SORRY BECAUSE I CAN'T WORK OUT HOW TO GET THE GOOGLE IMAGES PAGE ON HERE!Music is very tropical and will certainly get all visitors in a good mood.

Introducing: Land of Irony.Shown on sign as "land of" due to running out of time to paint irony on the board before the park opened.Unfortunately, due to lack of planning.. the entrance to the land is via one pathway, which floods whenever it rains making the island inaccessible during light showers.Its position is a new island being put there today. Like we all know.. the water needs to go somewhere. Hence why thorpe flooded one of the carparks. To ensure the carpark does not exceed demand, they've introduced a carparking charge.The theme is consistent and unique to the park, mainly due to them realising first off that their budget WILL be cut which led to their half arsed attitude. The theming is very pristine, complete with half built shops which have all sorts of colours of paints on them. The one which is open, is the very british "Cadrafty's" chocolate store. There's even one or two.. (or maybe 6) HBL outlets for you to win AMAAAZZINNGG prizes!There will be many many bins, and loads and loads of staff. Unfortunately the park decide to hire agency workers/outsource their ES dept again, so nothing gets done and the bins overflow regularly. Fittingly, it makes the area actually look better.Posted ImageContains:Newly relocated Jungle Coaster, complete with lids, from legoland windsor. This is to help improve the relations between the park and the guests noise-wise.Meant to be the parks icon coaster for the land, it can barely get throughputs higher than fungle did. The name is not changed, as the park thought it would suit the area best if it was to retain its name. You know, for theming and marketing purposes..Also, samurai moving over after being dragged by a couple of lorries into its new position. It's slogan is "scarier than your granny's scooter". There's a huuuuugeee empty space for development, which was meant to be for some stuff until we couldn't be bothered to design anything etc. The land was meant to increase overall capacity, but it kind of has due to the size of the queuelines and the island.As I'm sure you all agree, the theme is unique and realistic, takes into considerations the restrictions for the parks, has potential for expansion by filling the huge empty space or infilling more land, and the theme is equally strong. Although not disney, I'm sure the PR dept can sort that out for us.Finally, yes we know it's ****.. but afterall, I'm just creating this land to stay in my job and doing my job role in a hope of gaining a bonus. This is the REASON why this land has been created.So, for the love of irony - vote for me :P

LOST the landI saw this challenge, and being in my third year of architecture and a theme park "geek" I had to take part. Unfortunately studying this course leaves me with no time at all. Fortunately a few years ago I designed a land in my spare time.. I was very bored. Being a massive fan of the TV show LOST I decided to base the land around this. Explanation:The Land is based on its own newly created island at Thorpe Park. As the TV show is based on an island I thought this was the perfect location. The island is accessible down a new path next to the Flying Fish, the entrance to the land is marked by a large rusted steel entrance gate and is lined with the large electric fence beacons depicted in the show. At some points people entering the island will hear electronic pulse sound effects as if the fence is going to become electrified. The island is littered with LOST references including the radio tower from Series 3. The large "foot statue" is visible across the water on the old treasure island. A new cafe will be located along the path designed as a replica of the Swan Hatch in Series 2. The main ride is a Bolliger & Mabillard tyre launch coaster, similar to the Hulk coaster at Universal Islands of Adventure. However to first get to the island ride you must board the doomed Oceanic Flight 815! This is a plane simulator which when crashing creates the illusion with gas masks dropping from the ceiling and random flickers of the Dharma logo on the inflight screens. Sounds and bass canons accompany the crashing plane. After the plane has crashed guests exit through another plane door and arrive on The Island. After passing a beach scene you are guided into your Dharma ride vehicle and are taken through obstacles such as the smoke monster and eventually into the hatch. Here an "incident" occurs as in the show and lights flash and the board ticks down. The ride car and other hatch items are then dragged towards a wall at a speed of 0-60 in 4 seconds. This is occurring as if the fault has sparked the magnetic disruption, dragging you to your death. However the wall smashes open and you are launched out into the main circuit around the island passing island features. You then pass back in to the building and exit around the back of the building, past baggage reclaim and in to the shop. The shop sells Dharma goods and other usual Thorpe Park stuff. PICTURESI have hosted all of the pictures and further explanation on my FLICKR account CLICK HERE FOR IMAGESHope you all enjoy LOST the ride and LOST ISLAND