Your Chessington

James6

• 4 weeks later...

Continents:Asia: Wild Asia, Mystic East (Peeking heights is replaced with a sky drop which receives a Russian Theme called Nut cracker), Forbidden Kingdom Europe: Transylvania (bubble works rethemed around Venice and a mad scientist sinking the city, , Pirates Cove, Land of the dragonsAmerica: Mexicana, Toy Town (flying dumbo’s is rethemed around Vegas Show elephants, Berry bouncers is rethemed to American Indians and renamed Hi-Wafa, Toadies Crazy Cars is rethemed around early 19th century America and renamed Mafia Motors, Hurricane a)Africa: Wanyama Village and Oasis A Huss Delirium Spirit a Huss break dance 3Oceania (Australia): Outback River Rapids IntaminAntarctica: Blizzard A B&M sit down coaster reaching a height of 80ft2011:Nut cracker- Zamperla Sky drop (Asia Area)2012:Bubble works rethemed around a mad scientist who is sinking Venice and your attempts to escape and thwart him and Vampire themed improved on(Europe Area)2013: Oasis-Huss Delirium (African Area)Spirit- Huss break dance 32014: Blizzard- B&M sit down (Antarctica Area) Frozen Plains (penguins, polar bears, etc)2015:Toy town rethemed and Hurricane-Huss fly awayUnited Ranch- (housing traditional American animals)(America area)2016:Kang’a’Bounce- a Zamperla Kang’a’Bounce Outback River Rapids- Intamin river rapids ride (Oceania area)2017:Zoo area is added to Oceania area with Oceania animalsthis is what I came up with, thought it wasn't easy as I haven't visited yet and don't really now the park that well, but looking through what's been mentioned I thought this wouldn't be to bad

• 3 weeks later...

in 10 years time the park would be like this for me:transylvaniawill have been expanded around the back of vampire with black buccaneer being put behind there. it will consist of 3 rides.Vampirethe ride will have been left the same colour with vines growing out of the supports and curling up the cat walks. the queue will be extendend up the path its currently on to form a cattle pen round that area. the layout will be the same but with more foot choppers around the ride. the sign will be updated and so will the station.bloody marypreivously black buccaneer, the ride boat will be rusted up a bit and will have big chunks missing off it.blood factorypreviously the bubble works. it will be a tour round the vampire blood factory. the story will be that vampires need to live off of human blood. this will be shown in a comedy way using the same chracters that the bubble works currently uses. they will be dressed up diffrently either as vampires or humans. the same props will be used but changed IE the hot tub wil change into the blood bath and the carnival will be changed into a freak carnival. at the end there is a twist as you go up the lift a voice says it now your time to be drained of your blood instead of the fountin sceen you will be confronting the owner of the factory and he will be trying to get you wet by getting you with his special powers. effects like water being splashed at you for his special powers.pirates cove will be no more along with market square and toy town. along with rides and buildings that currently occupy these areas.in this space the zoo will be expanded with a sort of snowey theme, this is probley the biggest of all the expansions a penguin enclosure will added and will be bigger then the one at sea world. there will be a simulator based on exploring the artic to find polar bears. at the end of the ride you will end up in a polar bear enclosure. this will be in the space that toy town occupys. sky way will still exist but will start in the picnic area located right of the explorers gate, the ride will take you behind the vampire and bring you over the zoo then will turn into the penguin area then make its way back to the entrance. the will be a completley new system with longer trains, that move a little quicker. mexicanawill remain in tact with abit of a spouse up runawy train will have been removed though but not replaced. paw prints will also be removed along with childrens zoo.rameses revenge will be moved back into the area that runaway train occupied.tomb blaster will be updated abit but other then that will remain were it is.rattle snake will be removed to, this is to make room for a launch ride. this will take up all of the space from rameses to were the sky ride entrance used to be. olmec-the new launch ride themed on a bull that has escaped and is chargin round the streets of mexicana this will be heavily themed to look like a market in mexicana. the ride will take a right out of the station and launch to 50mph it will travle around a 55feet overbanked turn, it will ten go over a bunny hill into a second overbanked turn. then will do a 2nd bunny hill under the first the ride will then come up and spiral into a helix and travle under the station into a head choper. it will then come into the breaks and return to the station.and that is my chessington for 2020:)

2011: Burn it down2012: Begin construction of CHESSINGTON PARK - One of the Nation's Thrill Capitals!Skip a few years...2016: Open CHESSINGTON PARK to the public.2017: Build a bridge from CHESSINGTON PARK to THORPE PARK with a high-speed train.2018: Feel satisfied about my achievemens.

Why do people seem to think the only good rides are thrill rides...?Ugh.

• 1 month later...

So with the season down... what did Chessington improve and more importantly, how can it go on from here?Last time I posted in this topic I thought it needed a Skyway refurb, new main entrance, new signage and improved toilets. And one did actually happen with park signage much more up to scratch. With Wild Asia the park puts its feet firmly on the floor and showed that Merlin can do things incredibly well.Well with a whole closed season here is what I would do (although I have an unlimited imagination which I don't think a Merlin budget could ever get close to).1. With WIld Asia, the park has showed it clearly cares about the look and theme of attractions and their upkeep. With this in mind I really do think Safari Skyway needs to get a look in. Every year that goes by the ride looks more and more aged and dilapidated. More importantly it doesn't actually go anywhere near 50% of the Zoo these days. I would actually go as far as scrapping the old vehicles and getting a new fleet of trains, upgrade the entire ride system and do a complete redesign of the ride. Have the ride somehow go over the animal and bird garden and closer to Wanyama Village before turning back and continuing on towards the North entrance. They did this at Europa Park so there is no reason why Chessies version can't do the same. Skyway is far more important to Chessington then they ever seem to realise. Alton made amazing pushes with the Monorail and the Skyride and I really kind of hope Skyway gets the same kind of love.2. During my last trip I mentioned how frustrating Fury and Rattlesnake are especially in the rain. These rides need to either change or go completely because it is incredibly embarressing for a major theme park to have two of its main rides on reduced capacity whenever the sun puts his hat on and Mr rain cloud emerges. (a) Fury they need to sort out that three adult rule. I know its bull because sister ride Spinball doesn't have the same restriction and neither do the Winja twins at Phantasialand and Tarantula in Madrid. Guaranteed Salama doesn't in Italy or Twister at Harbour Land.I have no issues with queueing hours for attractions. What I take issue with is a ride being run so poorly and embarressingly.(:D I would like Rattlesnake to get some new cars. It's supposed to be a 1.2 metre attraction and rides like Cobra at Paultons show-up just how old fashioned Rattlesnake's ride set up is.3. Vampire, no matter how much we like it and appreciate it as ride geeks, is coming to the end of its life. The ride type itself is dying out very quickly and it's only a matter of time before Vampire succumbs to the same fate. I'm worried that Chessington has no replacement, especially with the issues on Rattlesnake and Fury. The park may have problems with the locals in respect to noise made at the park, however a new modern day, high capacity rollercoaster is needed to take the weight of when vampire is eventually laid to rest. I wouldn't even begin to suggest what kind of rollercoaster the park needs because who knows what kind of rides will be coming in the next four years, however the park would really benefit from a coastery addition.Just a few ideas, I could go on for a long time about what I would do to Chessington. For now that will do. :excl:

I could go on about my ideas till the cows come home...So first, Mark's ideas...Skyway NEEDS something desperately... It looks dire as Mark said and considering it's the first thing you see at North entrance something needs doing soon... Making it do to Wanyama considering how major that should become in the future years should literally mean that it gets retracked towards it...Fury & Rattle also need something done... I've just imagined Rattle with Cobra cars and that would be epic, not gonna happen but it would be nice for the park to improve the throughputs (and for Rattle, ridership) of both of these rides...Vampire... Is so similar to the other rides in the park... It needs a bit of love and attention to help bring it back to it's original splendour... The old entrance needs to be brought back, the fencing should be made actually gothic-themed, the interior needs some work... It's just a list of things that the park could do to the ride (and others) to make it look as good as Wild Asia does...Now for my points...Bubbles... Gut the bloody thing and start again... See that old contest thing for what I'd do to it in depth... But the quicker that gets made into something good again the better...Entrances... South Entrance needs to be made a lot bigger (let alone the car park being tarmaced), including toilets and the like... Make it actually feel like a major entrance zone (similar to North)... Containment gates... Firstly, fix the one leading into Pirates Cove... Then, place on each one a sign telling people when the park opens... Nice and easy here...Toilets... Improve and expand ALL of them... Add more around the park to a really high quality standard...F&B... In-house continuation please... Greedy Goblin could do with an improvement as it's probably the worst eatery out of the lot based on this year's experiences...Toytown... Remove Trucks and Berries... Replace Berries with a Zamperla Drop Tower and Trucks with an entrance to Land of the Dragons... Retheme the Jumbos area to Forbidden Kingdom... Mexicana... Repaint... Again, relatively simple... Put a Twist and Splash from Mack where Rodeo is and make it very, very obvious that it exists...Translyvania... Bubbles and Vampire as mentioned before... Possibly find somewhere to put in another ride (arguably in the rig site), which would be either like Mystery Castle or possibly an indoor coaster...Pirates Cove... This is tricky, it should have a much larger actual identity as it just seems to sit there without any real significant point... So maybe add some extra theming here and there, and then add in a Mack Supersplash on the Fury field near to Buccaneer...Dragons... Some extra theming would be nice to see, especially making Spike and Cinders more prominent in the overall area... Removing Playhouse and Capers and replacing them with a Zamperla Demolition Derby would be decent and provide kids with another fun ride...Mystic East... Bring back the Falls rocks first and foremost, adding some proper theming at the top as well... Then remove Peeking and the two bungee/trampoline games replacing them with a Mack Music Express and a decent Ferris Wheel...Forbidden Kingdom... The one area in my eyes that doesn't need much work at all... Maybe give Rameses a good old fashioned epic rehab and keep Tomb up to standards... Wild Asia... Remove Temple of Mayhem and replace it with a Vekoma Madhouse including two preshow rooms... And of course my usual Gerstlauer Launched (or some other major 1.2m coaster that will fit) into the field behind it all...Zoo... Put Sea-Life in a proper building... Possibly give the zoo a more overall theme that links it all together... Continue expanding Wanyama with the safari ride... Trail of the Kings becomes simply an Endangered species section so where the lions would be shifted to Wanyama replace with Pandas... That would be awesome...This is all really basic points made... I could easily go into detail but that requires a bit more time... Maybe in the distant future the park could add another themed land at the back behind Mexicana and the rest by removing Runaway and replacing it with a bigger and better Vekoma Mine Train... But right now, that list is my current wants...

I personally think Merlin are taking the piss with the park and the zoo and the rides haven't been updated since I don't know when, because I can't actually remember when. Do you remember how parks are installing new rides every year two-three years and coasters every 3-5 years. Chessington hasn't had a new rollercoaster for 7 years. If they had a new coaster every 4-5 years, that would be reasonable. Safari Skyway - This is a highlight of the zoo and tbh, it's the first thing they see. They could use new cars with a new track. I strongly think they could use a new layout (if granted) because like mentioned, the cars don't go anyway near half of the zoo.Vampire: Mark is right, the coaster is in dire need of being replaced. It can't compete and a park like that in Merlin's portofolio, needs to be able to compete with other parks in the country and most importantly in Europe. I would like to see it replaced with that idea, that John Wardley had, of a B&M Inverter, which involves a huge hole in the ground.Bubbleworks: This was my 2nd favourite ride at Chessington but times are changing and this needs to be gutted and replaced with something more long-lasting and appealing. A half-indoors, half-outdoors Intamin rapids ride would go down well. The management knows how much sentimental value this ride has and having an indoor/outdoor river rapids, would be fantastic.Pirate's Cove: This area needs a major ride since this area doesn't stand out at all and the buzz and attraction would be created, would be fantastic. I think that a medium-sized water coaster would be perfect for this area, since as I suggested, a rapid's ride in the same area (Translyvania) would use the same water system.Wild Asia: CARNIVOROUS - An amazing new launched rollercoaster experience from MACK (Or Gerstlauer) - 60mph, 3 inversions, 54 inch height minimum requirement. Themed around the carnivorous jungle and a huge man-eating plant. Mexicana: I think Runaway Train has come to the end of its lifetime, it's been at the park since the beginning and I think the park is in the position to replace it with something bigger and better. Something like a proper mine train coaster. It would take up the rodeo space, the petting zoo, where the totem pole is and the Mexicana restaurant.Mystic East: Dragon's Falls was my favourite ride and also, my first ever theme park ride I went on and I think gosh!, this ride takes up so much space and it could easily be replaced by a modern Mack logflume that takes up half the space. The other half of the space could also be used for part of the launched coaster. I'd also bring in a mondial topscan which would replace the ferris wheel, the climbing wall and the bungee jumps.

Edited by Will

Well, this is what'd do over this close season:Some repaving. Couple of parts which are unsafe for wheelchairs.Toilets refurbished. They need it.Things happening to Toytown that could make this rumoured 'Every land represents some continent' easier to do.And from there:Vampire and RMT tune up. Just need a bit more TLC really. Rattlesnake should stay more or less how it is in my eyes. It's fine.A new family roller coaster in the near future (2012-2014) of large scale and throughput.Two family flats.One 'more adult' flat (1.3m / 1.4m restriction) so the older generation are still appealed to. Safari Skyway extension. 'Every land represents some continent' idea put in place.Basically, that and a bit more zoo expansion over the next 6-8 years would make Chessie practically perfect.

I don't know when, because I can't actually remember when.

Erm, this year?

I personally think Merlin are taking the piss with the park and the zoo

Why? Merlin have pretty much saved the whole park. It is now getting a lot more visitors than it has ever done before, and no longer is the park being left to rot. It was Tussaudes that got close to ruining the park, since they had plans to morph it into a "children's park" which goes against most of its original purpose as a theme park when it became one in the late 80s.You talk about "the time" when there were new coasters every 3-5 years. This was never the case with Chessington. They had a huge boom that sarted from 1989 and carried on after 1990. After that several more investments and a 5th Dimension retheme, that was all. And that suits Chessie fine, I think, as long as they keeping pushes the boundaries. I certainly does not need to do a Thorpe Park and get a new coaster on a 3-5 year sequence, it needs something else.However, I believe that, partly thanks to Merlin taking over from Tussaudes, Chessington is now seeing those much needed investments that were missing throughout the dark ages of 2004 to 2008.

Vampire: Mark is right, the coaster is in dire need of being replaced. It can't compete and a park like that in Merlin's portofolio, needs to be able to compete with other parks in the country and most importantly in Europe. I would like to see it replaced with that idea, that John Wardley had, of a B&M Inverter, which involves a huge hole in the ground.

Vampire is one of the UK's greatest coasters, and that isn't because it has sentimental value. Since 2001 it has been in an awful state, and to be honest it still is. With non-existant or feeble theming being all that remains in some places, as well as tatty looking Abdab making a nice but frankly badly thought out reappearance, the outdoor queueline is still a bit of a mess. The interior is much more impessive, but frankly the theming has just got too old and would benefit well from a restructure. When you walk inside, it should feel like you are stepping into a gothic abbey that has become the lair of a vampire, not a tin shed with some flickering windows here and there.Also, when you suggest replacing Vampire with a Nemesis-style B&M invert, are you having a laugh?! Erm, how about we stay realistic and keep with the other "idea that John Wardley had" - the Arrow suspended coaster that we have today.What Vampire would benefit from is a big refurbishment. Restructure the indoor and outdoor queuelines and give the building an impressive facade. Then build a new THEMED tunnel (much longer than it is now - like it used to be) with a nice touch of strobe lighting and loud audio effects. Make it appear is if you are diving underground or in a cave, rather than swooping under a strange roof. Also, a finale would be nice. Make the drama more obvious in the ending please, nobody likes a black room. I know there are lots of computers and maintenance equipment in the way, but there must be some way to install a good looking set with an effect finale, lighting and sound effects? Maybe that is a bit much, and is perhaps too much change for a simple TLC refurb... However I am sure many people would love to experience some sort of "ending".Alternatively, leave it as it is and let it die. :excl:

I do dislike it when Merlin get blamed for Tussauds' faults...You can't expect a park to get turned around in 3 years now can you? The park is so buggered up in all departments that a quick fix isn't the best route available to them... Some of you ideas Will are rather unfeasible... The B&M invert and indoor/outdoor rapids especially, let alone replacing a very good log flume which takes up the space it does as part of it's design... What the park needs to do is continue what they're doing really... More revamps ftw...

Just to clarfiy; in no way do I want Vampire togo. I'd like another rollercoaster in the park to compliment Vampire while it's still there as Fury and Rattlesnake with their increasingly terrible restrictions don't do the job anymore. When your second highest throughput rollercoaster is Runaway Train, you can sort of see there is a capacity problem at the park.Will, I don't mind your ideas but you just seem to think scrapping something and starting again is the way forward. For instance replacing Dragon Falls with a Mack log flume. Well for a start it already is a Mack log flume and I don't quite think the cost of replacing something like for like is worth it. Falls is practically perfect anyway, it just needs something to disguise the dragon tunnel section just being a tin shed and (never gonna happen) the rocks to come back around lift two.As Electricbill has already pointed out, the park has never been one to just throw attractions at a park. It goes through little bursts of installations before returning to small refurbs and touch ups. Even during Tussauds darkest days where they were adding as many flat rides to Thorpe as they could possibly fit, I believe Chessington got the best attraction of that period in Land of the Dragons and luckily the park wasn't effected by throwing a ride at a park syndrome like Rita at Alton.

As much as this topic implies that you post your ideas about "your Chessington," I am going to remain realistic. This is what I'd like to happen (and I think will) during this closed season.

• Beginnings of South Car park re-design;
  • Retheme of Toytown;
  • Bubbleworks de-brand;
  • Subtle hints to support the integration of Mystic East with Wild Asia;
  • Possible Runaway re-furb;
  • Beginnings of toilets re-furb.
What I find interesting is Forbidden Kingdom's future. If the park go for continental themed areas, then they will have Africa with the Zoo (could be passed off as South Africa I suppose) and then they will have Africa again with Forbidden Kingdom (Egypt is part of Africa). Perhaps I'm being a bit of a continuity freak, but unless they're planning on having guests go from Africa, to America (suggested Mexicana re-theme) and then Africa again, then I predict some changes to Forbidden in the future.

Well, the zoo is not really purely Africa. It has large sections devoted to Asian and Southern American animals as well. None of it is really African themed. Egypt may be in Africa, but it has a totally different feel to it than, say, a savannah. Forbidden Kingdom does need an expansion, methinks. I would also like to see Tomb Blaster lose its "passive viewing of theatrics whilst accompanied by music and lasers" format to a big, special horror dark ride.Bring back some of the lost fun stuff from Terror Tomb (although no fixed storyline, just more animatronics/characters and even more use of music/sound and lighting). Refurbish everything that looks tired and dirty to make it all look new again. Make use of every possible moment, so that it is exciting the second you set eyes up the facade. There is a lot already there to build up from, since the 90s retheme was so fantastic and exactly how a retheme should be. Unfortunately it was botched up with laser guns a few years later, which means a serious thinking is once again needed. Just give it a very heavy dose of TLC. Much the same as the rest of Chessington, really. :excl:

Well, the zoo is not really purely Africa. It has large sections devoted to Asian and Southern American animals as well. None of it is really African themed. Egypt may be in Africa, but it has a totally different feel to it than, say, a savannah. Forbidden Kingdom does need an expansion, methinks. I would also like to see Tomb Blaster lose its "passive viewing of theatrics whilst accompanied by music and lasers" format to a big, special horror dark ride.. :excl:

Yeah, I suppose that's true. I was mainly thinking about Wanyama, I guess. You're right Forbidden does have a completely different feel, I would argue that it's the best themed area of the park.Yeah I'd love to see something dramatic happen to Tomb, the theme is fine, keep the tone of the ride, there just needs to be more happening, to not make it so, as you put it, passive. It can feel like a passive experience at times. I feel the first half of the ride is great up to the point of Axe Alley where the light from that fire exit shows all the workings of the ride. The rest feels anti-climatic with black areas, sitting in front of a snake trying to hiss from side to side for a minute.

Where does one begin? First I suppose I'll say what I think will happen over this closed season. I'm also only thinking about stuff that is actually possible- Addition and expansion of toilet facilities- Improvements to both car parks (we already know this from the planning application)- General spruce up of the park, lick of paint here and there, general maintenance on the rides- Bubbleworks de-branding- Toy Town getting a re-theme- Possible changes to Vampire to celebrate 21 yearsWhat I'd love to see happen at the park over time:Transylvania (to become part of Europe)- Vampire getting a massive theming overhaul everywhere- Transylvania to get a bat cave- Bubbleworks to get ripped out and replaced by a new horror theme and ride system, the same as Phantom Manor at DLP and taxi ride at Madame Tussauds London. That would highly improve capacity issuesPirates Cove (to become part of Europe)- Games building to be taken down and replaced by a pirate-themed play area for kids- Part of the grass area becomes like a Pirate village - act as an entrance to new ride- New ride to take up most of the grass area (still thinking up ideas)- New 'sets' to hide boring areasToy Town - to be rethemed to one of the other areas- Toadies to be replaced by two flat rides, one themed to the rest of the area and one themed to Mystic Asia/Wild Asia- Trucks to make way for new grand entrance to Land of the DragonsLand of the Dragons (to become part of Europe)- New retheme to make it a more of a medieval European town- The main building should be gutted for new restaurant, exterior themed to a castle - New restaurant will be themed to like a grand knights victory dinner, type of food would be burgers/meat etc like the bbq places in the other merlin parks. It would also have two floors to make room for more table space- Cafe nero would be gutted to make way for the kitchen area for the restaurant. - The show area would become a shop for the area, selling fake knight gear (plastic swords etc), princess dresses and dragon stuff- The canopy capers would change layout and become the castle fort walls with some bridges and stuff- New entrance that replaces truckers would have a drawbridge and small moat- Fury would now travel through the castle wall with some lighting effects, make the second lift hill a bit more interesting- Griffins Galleon would now be outside the castle walls with water now surrounding the ride, meeting up with the moatNot sure if the above is possible but it'd be coolWild Asia - now incorporating Mystic east- Peeking Heights replaced by a new ferris wheel that works and can load fully- Berry Bouncers moved to and re-themed, hidden inside new tall pagoda building near the ferris wheel- Rock work to return to the falls. - See-through wall at the top of falls to be replaced by fake fibreglass wall with fake backdrop behind it- Inside dragon there needs to be a new wall so corrugated metal can't be seen- Silly gold mining thing to go making way for new cascading waterfall down new rock work- Waterfall to flow into existing water feature in the area causing a new cool bridge to be made- New toilet building create near Falls building, heavily themed- New thrill ride amongst the trees where the walk between the two areas currently is, where the railway used to run. (would tree clearing be excepted though)- New heavily themed rollercoaster behind the Lorikeets area - themed to a very wild Asian jungle, think Anubis meets Nemesis, basically Gertslauer launched coaster dug into the ground.- Temple of Madness or whatever it's called to be replaced by new Vekoma Madhouse with several pre-show rooms and a very cool storyForbidden Kingdom - Becomes part of the Africa continent theme which also consists of Wanyama village and reserve- Toilet and first aid buildings to be moved to the side to make way for new grand entrance to Wanyama expansion.- New jeep ride for Wanyama behind new entrance- Tomb Blaster and Ramses Revenge to get a major overhaul in maintenance and theming departmentMexicana- Runaway mine train is given a new lease of life with a complete overhaul of rockwork and theming- Games and photography building along with the Children's zoo removed- A new animal enclosure opens that fits within the theme - buffalo?- A new thrill ride also opens with lots of 'sets' to give the area more of a Spaghetti Western town look- Rodeo site expanded and new big building housing a proper Mexican restaurant opens- Current diner and game stall removed to make way for a family friendly flat rideOther- Safari Skyway needs to be completely re-routed, re-tracked and given new cars which don't feel like they're going to fall apart- New route would go over the bird and monkey garden and towards the Wanyama VillageThat's all I can think of at the moment but I think that should be enough to think about for the time being :(