THORPE PARK: Rainy days

thorpeparkjunkie

Question

20 answers to this question

I'm visiting the park on Friday 19th March and its apparently going to rain heavy :) I was just wondering what actions do THORPE PARK take if it rains in other words if its raining heavy do all rides have to close? and are there any rides which will not operate in rain?Thank you.

High speed rides such as Stealth, Nemesis and sometimes Colossus will shut down for adverse weather. Most of the rides are usually able to operate in rain, but Stealth will certainly shut down pretty much as soon as any rain starts

One of the times I went last season in the Summer the weather was very tempermental with sun and no clouds in sight one minute and very heavy rain the next. I don't know about Stealth since that opened after the rain had passed but Colossus and Nemesis close their front row queues but keep the ride open unless it gets really heavy. Saw seemed to go most of the time even with heavy rain. Some of the flats play warnings that your ride may be painful and to ask an attendant if you want to get off.

I think it was last year on a friday in August when I went when it rained really bad. here is what I remember of the day:POSITIVES-getting a huge ride count due to hardly anyone turning up because of the weather itself-getting soaked on Rush? (rain :) lol)-when the rain stopped, Stealth started launching again and then there waas a queue of about 15 mins for the rest of the day. (adding to the ride count I got)NEGATIVES-Saw had 4 breakdowns with intervals of 15 mins each. So a 40 minute (advertised) queue turned into a 90 minute queue, which I was in-wet lunch-wet everything else-Colossus was on one train at one point, and Stealth was closed for 4 hours until 2pm.-5 other small rides / flats were shut but I forgot which ones they wereSo yeah, you may experience something similar to what I did.With a prediction of heavy rain on friday, of course :P Chris :DEDIT: looking at what james has said, I remember that we were warned of getting injured on Rush, which turned out to be false because it was really run in the rain :D

-getting a huge ride count due to hardly anyone turning up because of the weather itself

Rain will deter about 1% of the gate figure, if that.People won't wake up and think 'oh it's raining, lets not go to our day out that we've all been really excited about, and wanting to go for ages'.You aren't - and as much as fan people in general may think they may be - different to anyone else.

Rain will deter about 1% of the gate figure, if that.People won't wake up and think 'oh it's raining, lets not go to our day out that we've all been really excited about, and wanting to go for ages'.You aren't - and as much as fan people in general may think they may be - different to anyone else.

LOL. Unless that changed down at chessie, every park I've worked at.. if its raining when you wake up til about 11, the park is COMPLETELY dead.(only difference is end of august if its been raining all summer, cos people still wanna go and they think they're running out of time so go anyway)

I had a fantastic day at Thorpe last July, the morning was dry but around lunch is started raining and the park literally emptied. The queues went down dramatically, Stealth was 10 minutes, Colossus 15... etc. The rest of the afternoon was lovely and we hardly saw anyone else around the park, we were so happy! That said, Saw was still about 70 minutes even in the rain. :D

What you say makes sense and I believed that until I had a day Chessington last year. It was during Halloween Hocus Pocus and the day before we went, most rides had queues of at least an hour. The next day when the weather was hideous until about 12, the longest queue I saw was about 2 minutes.

High speed rides such as Stealth, Nemesis and sometimes Colossus will shut down for adverse weather. Most of the rides are usually able to operate in rain, but Stealth will certainly shut down pretty much as soon as any rain starts

This is not the case. The shutting of rides in the park only happens at request of the Attractions Team. They usually stay open unless the operator feels that it is not in the rides best interest and asks for a manager to close the ride. It is entirely down to the operator and manager to close the ride and does not come down to it being purely because of rain. Stealth remains open in all weather conditions apart from heavy rain and hail.

That's not true, it was raining pretty heavily when I went one day and they let stealth stay open.. they announced "anyone who does not wish to ride in the rain can wait in the queue" and it didn't shut at all. :mellow:

That's not true, it was raining pretty heavily when I went one day and they let stealth stay open.. they announced "anyone who does not wish to ride in the rain can wait in the queue" and it didn't shut at all. :mellow:

I hope you enjoyed it then.