Merlin Entertainments

RobF

Seeing this new pass coming in is not a good idea IMO. Another thing that worries me is that more benificts and restrictions will be eroded from current passes (maybe even premium passes). On the standard meanwhile, exclusions erosions I could see appear are, £5 event fee to standard holders to events at Legoland, no entry to Thorpe park before 2pm in august and the 20% benificts going to 10%. If they ever remove free parking from the premium, I won't be renewing.

The new pass would be a bad idea, and I don't think in price consideration it's worth the money.Okay so we get a free £12 quencher, and unlimited fastracks *normally £80 at Towers, for half a day £40 of Fastrack* but then, I wouldn't use it because I don't go on busy periods. The whole point of having an annual pass is so that you don't need fastrack to have a good day because you can go again!For the almost double price that they put into the thing, I would want to see atleast the 25% staff discount off food and drink, and retail, if not more. A free hoody let alone a lanyard. And to some degree a special "Platinum Passholder" event at the parks or something like that. It just needs some enormous crowd pull, which it doesn't currently have.

• 1 month later...

Following on from this discussion of a new tier of passes taking perks from the old ones, I got an email today saying the standard pass is having the August Legoland restriction lifted. Not all greed and bad news!Other improvements for 2012 are apparently October Blackpool Tower blockouts lifted and, get this, a redesigned drinks capsule :wub:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm bored on this dull Sunday afternoon and decided to browse the Merlin Entertainments site. Going through their press releases, I found an interesting article about Merlin Magic Making.http://www.merlinentertainments.biz/en/press/merlinappointsfirstgroupcreativedirector211111.aspxAbout a year or so ago they made all creative aspects to the business a clear separate entity on the Careers website. It seems that Merlin are trying to push more focus on these avenues and I do believe we have seen some results of this already. From the Press Release it also seems to suggest that they aim to provide a service to non- Merlin theme parks as well.

Well you say that, but over half of the families/people that visit Legoland with an Annual Pass, are entered with a Legoland Only AP!Thats no good to me!

Wait what? He said the restriction was being lifted.... therefore they can go in when they like? Are you saying they SHOULDN'T be let in?

Ricky obviously doesn't know his Legolands. There's a Basic Legoland AP which has August completely restricted, along with other dates. This is what he's on about.As for Merlin Magic Making. Although it's the change of name from Property (god knows how studios fitted into property), it's a change of way. Swarm, and particarly Sub-Terra & Krake, are the first of the Magic Making attractions.It's been relayed quite a lot from these people that these are new ways of creating and running rides. If they are successful, and the general public enjoy it, then they'll create more of these attractions. Think very low-scale Tower of Terror style way.

• 1 month later...

Seems to have gone by unnoticed:

http://riderater.co.uk/?p=1722

We don't have all the facts and the decision has been made by a wiser man than me, but I can't say I agree with the outcome.

It is an actual castle with all the dangers inherent in an old building, people enter knowing this. It has not been designed by Merlin, it is how it was as a functioning castle. To go around putting fencing up around every possible danger would make the whole enterprise pointless.

• 1 month later...

The Weymouth Sea Life Tower is now open, it costs £8.10 per person to go up the Rotating Viewing Tower which was manufactured by Huss. The Tower stands at a height of 174ft. Merlin Annual Passes can be used for entry to the Tower at any time when Weymouth are not holding the sailing events for the 2012 Olympics.

http://www.weymouth-tower.com/explore/default.aspx

• 6 months later...

To be fair, Raptor and Sub Terra are two very well themed experiences, as is Swarm and Thirteen...

I reckon if Thorpe hadn't wasted so much money on the Saw licensing, that too would've had some truly quality theming...

I think the problem is the lack of consistency throughout, with a lack of details and facades in a few cases... But there is some quality...

• 1 month later...

Merlin being sold off. Am I missing something?

I saw in the paper yesterday about Merlin and stock markets, not quite sure of the full story of that.

But as far as I'm aware Merlin are currently not selling anything or being taken over - am I correct?

I am not 100% confirmed but 'apparently' merlin is being sold off to another company which will then open up stock shares for the attractions. So if you pay a certain amount of money, you will be able to own 10% of thorpe park etc.

Typical media. :glare:

This report says it's planning a floatation, whatever it means:

http://www.insidermedia.com/insider/north-west/84318-merlin-entertainments-plans-float-report

Then there's this report which says there are no plans in the near future for a floatation:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/feb/11/merlin-entertainment-flotation-halted

You also have this which says a floatation was stopped last year:

http://www.standard.co.uk/business/merlin-entertainments-still-keen-on-float-6386151.html