Merlin Entertainments

RobF

"iconic international entertainment"

"unlike anything that currently exists"

IPs

Could almost start a bingo game for common phrases / things that appear in a Merlin-related press release!

It's going to bring in visitors I guess. Makes more sense to go with an IP with this sorta of thing though, seeinghow it's just sorta there, and not integrated within one of Merlin's big attractions. Still, would much rather see Merlin go for SOMETHING original and non-IP related...

EXCLUSIVE PASSHOLDER BIG PREVIEW WEEKEND

You are invited to our exclusive Passholder & Member Big Preview Weekend! We want you to experience it first, so we're holding Passholder & Member only days at Chessington Resort and THORPE PARK Resort on the Saturday 15th and Sunday 16th March 2014, 10am to 5pm (Chessington), 10am-4pm (THORPE PARK).

Space is limited (even wizards have rules) so make sure you book early to guarantee your free place. As for the day itself, remember to mix your magic in with our own to be among the first to have a weekend this year that's not just memorable, but spellbinding.

To book for Chessington Resort:http://bit.ly/MAPpreview2014CWOAR

To book for THORPE PARK Resort:http://bit.ly/MAPpreview2014TP

pretty much confirmed now in merlin AP's fb page, although I think they good the opening times wrong :P

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the privilege pack, the birthday thing is pointless and stupid, and I fear it's replaced the friends and family deal. Most of the birthdays in my family are in closed season, so this renders it pointless.

Giving out Fastrack's is not a good thing, it's a way of covering not running a park properly and it means that the queues will be even slower and longer this year.

Calling us "wizards" is an absolute joke though. It's the adults who usually read this stuff, it's like they are speaking to five year olds. Also, the Dungeons (about death, blood and gore) are now "magical worlds" according to the new marketing strategy. Pathetic.

http://www.merlinannualpass.co.uk/perks.aspx

They haven't got rid of the family and friends perk, although never realised this was something I was getting - and personally I love the idea of the birthday vouchers, as it's great if you can manage to use them around your birthday :)

As for the language they use, it is a bit weird as if you're a child aha!

The problem is families spend the most money in the market... so anything aimed primarily at thrill seekers like thorpe was, was a bad decision due to in general teenagers having less money and therefore probably not being able to afford to go, same with dungeons I guess, try to broaden who it appeals to - although I still thought it was great fun definitely with some scary bits!

So basically we'll see big and thrilling additions probably less often than now, and will see the money spent on attractions trying to appeal to everyone - so doubt we'll see the next coaster with a 1.4m restriction at thorpe! :/

A 1.4m restriction doesn't automatically make the difference between a thrill and family coaster...

As for the pack, it's really pointless isn't it? I won't be using the lanyard (would rather keep my pass in my wallet thanks), and the vouchers aren't really that special bar the £10 birthday ones... The Fastrack is weird since MAP holders go so regularly do people buy them on a constant basis?

considering I paid £297 (well my parents did) for 3 premium passes, any sort of perk on top of that amazing saving is a bonus in my opinion, and I really like the idea of the birthday voucher, plus I persuaded my friend to get the premium over the standard, based on the fact the fast track vouchers that you got with the premium pass - I think the lanyards look ridiculous, and I would rather keep mine in my wallet too, although a pass holder like a little wallet/sleeve would have been pretty cool, and a lot more useful!

• 2 weeks later...

Following on from Josh's comment, you're adding in the £5 parking at Thorpe if you're *not* in Shark, and also the parking cost to park at a Travelodge as a lot of them charge (Two Rivers is extortionate).

It is also a known fact that Merlin are in it for the profit. At the end of the day, Disney build highly-themed Vekoma or Intamin rides in their parks; and charge a hell of a lot more than Merlin to visit them. And yes, building LegoLands and IP attractions are Merlin's plan by what I've seen; because IPs = cheap money. Disney is just a massive IP theme park at the end of the day.

And if you think high class attractions is a priority over gate figures and getting people in the door, then yeah, you're not a very good businessman I'm afraid.

^ But surely guests would come pouring in even faster if they knew the attractions inside are world class and rival Disney? Like Phantasialand. Guests come back because it's a fantastic experience, it's an adventure.

That's why I think Disney is a good business when it comes to their theme parks. You can feel and see the effort that has gone into everything, and you don't feel like you've been cheated for your money.