Merlin Entertainments

RobF

Maybe Windsor's investment cycles have been swapped [due to the 'Cancel' refusing Ghost] and as a result we were meant to get Heartlake in 2017, at least I hope so as I really hope Ghost can eventually get approved in the future and they find a way around this obstacle. 

Considering Florida received the same addition amongst a hotel and was described as medium, I'm hoping this is the case.

I've noticed that something abbreviated SLC has been mentioned several times on the midway plan which also mentions it for Londin in 2017. Any one know what that is? 

Maybe Windsor's investment cycles have been swapped [due to the 'Cancel' refusing Ghost] and as a result we were meant to get Heartlake in 2017, at least I hope so as I really hope Ghost can eventually get approved in the future and they find a way around this obstacle. 

Considering Florida received the same addition amongst a hotel and was described as medium, I'm hoping this is the case.

I've noticed that something abbreviated SLC has been mentioned several times on the midway plan which also mentions it for Londin in 2017. Any one know what that is? 

Sea Life Centre

• 3 months later...

So the Merlin AP Sale has started today.

For new passes, the sale price is £119 for Standard and £149 for Premium; savings of £50 and £60 respectively.

For renewals, the sale price is £109 for Standard and £139 for Premium; savings of £20 on each.

Okay, so it's not as good as the half price sale from a couple of years back, but whatever way you look at it, these still represent excellent value for money in my opinion.

Be careful if renewing, if you goto your home place and try to renew directly, you'll pay the higher price (or on Cheesy you did anyway).

If you go via the Merlinannualpass.co.UK site, when you get redirected to your home attraction, it'll quote you the correct, cheaper price, it seems that at least on the chessington site, they hadn't updated the renewal sale pricing yet and it was still listed at the pre-sale price (it was only £10 a pass but you can buy a lot of penny sweets for a tenner).

The standard at £89 is for renewals of 3 or more standard passes (family pack), the same setup for a new pass holder is £99 per pass (3 or more).

The sale is on to mid-feb, so no hurry.

Don't they usually offer further reductions for renewals?

Also seen that standard passholders no longer gain entry to the Blackpool Tower Circus - why? :wacko:

It's £10 cheaper if you're renewing.

The Tower Circus thing is to probably try and add value to the Premium Pass, or it's to stop people exploiting some loophole like only needing one Premium Pass to take advantage of extra discounts for everybody, like the free parking at the parks. They better tell the people working at the Tower though, since when we went there in August I had to explain to them what a Premium Pass was (maybe it was just a Summer job person, but you'd think they'd explain things before throwing them on the ticket desk).

Not according to the terms and conditions it isn't, entry to the circus is specifically excluded from standard and premium pass holders (it's s11 which is not covered by the s12 exclusion that the usual standard pass exclusions are).

It's probably a £1 booking fee like Shrek was for Premium Pass holders this year, I know when we went I overheard a member of staff complaining that a load of 'pass holders' had not turned up and they could have sold the tickets instead of having seats empty, maybe that happens a lot and they've decided to make you book instead of turning up at 10am and snatching 4 free tickets for the 7.30 performance like I did.

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't a great year for names in my opinion.

LLW: Lego Movie 4D Experience. Creative.

CWOA: Pandamonium. Get it coz its pandas? Hahahaha funny! LAUGH!

TP: DB's Ghost Train. Great. Nothing says scary like a fairground ride!

AT: Galactica. Oh how original. Next they'll have a ride named after a number! Oh... wait...

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

The thing is, what other names could those attractions have gotten?

-Lego Movie 4D Experience.  It's related to the Lego Movie and it's 4D.  What other name could sell that?

-Pandamonium.  PUN PUN PUN.  I like it.  It's a stage show about Pandas and things probably get a little bit crazy.

-Derren Brown's Ghost Train.  It's an attraction created by Derren Brown, and it's his interpretation of a Ghost Train.  It's a lot clearer than some obscure thing like 'Derren Brown Presents Automatons' or 'Derren Brown:  Mind Gap' or something.

-Galactica.  It sounds space-y.  This is actually one I think had more potential, and one that probably should have included Air in the name.  But it's not a horrible choice, really?

This isn't a great year for names in my opinion.

LLW: Lego Movie 4D Experience. Creative.

CWOA: Pandamonium. Get it coz its pandas? Hahahaha funny! LAUGH!

TP: DB's Ghost Train. Great. Nothing says scary like a fairground ride!

AT: Galactica. Oh how original. Next they'll have a ride named after a number! Oh... wait...

I don't know of any fairground ghost trains which have had a budget of £40 million spent on them......... 

The thing is, what other names could those attractions have gotten?

-Lego Movie 4D Experience. It's related to the Lego Movie and it's 4D. What other name could sell that?

-Pandamonium. PUN PUN PUN. I like it. It's a stage show about Pandas and things probably get a little bit crazy.

-Derren Brown's Ghost Train. It's an attraction created by Derren Brown, and it's his interpretation of a Ghost Train. It's a lot clearer than some obscure thing like 'Derren Brown Presents Automatons' or 'Derren Brown: Mind Gap' or something.

-Galactica. It sounds space-y. This is actually one I think had more potential, and one that probably should have included Air in the name. But it's not a horrible choice, really?

The thing is this is coming from the people who gave us Nemesis, Rameses Revenge, Hex, Colossus, Stealth, Ripsaw, Oblivion, Air (Aerial Inversion Something), All good names in my opinion, Galactica and Pandamonium have been has been used before, unlike most of those names. And DBGT and Lego Movie I just hate. With the Lego Movie, they could have made it something like "Lego Movie 4D: _______" Not something used by everything ever.

The thing is this is coming from the people who gave us Nemesis, Rameses Revenge, Hex, Colossus, Stealth, Ripsaw, Oblivion, Air (Aerial Inversion Something)

First of all, those names were all by Tussauds (Stealth most likely being the last investment they'd make). Secondly, while I will agree that Merlin have given us attraction names that are mostly nothing spectacular, all that matters is that they are part of the SELLING POINT of the experience. The name literally acts as one of the factors that draws guests to the attraction while giving them an idea of what it's about. For example:

• The Swarm: A hoard of winged alien creatures. What else do you expect?
  • The Smiler: A machine designed to marmalise the minds and bodies of the riders...making them smile. Simple as that.
  • TH13TEEN: 13 being an unlucky number for some, suiting the theme well. This was undoubtedly Merlin's most creative name in my opinion.

First of all, those names were all by Tussauds (Stealth most likely being the last investment they'd make). Secondly, while I will agree that Merlin have given us attraction names that are mostly nothing spectacular, all that matters is that they are the SELLING POINT of the experience. The name literally acts as one of the factors that draws guests to the attraction. For example:

• The Swarm: A hoard of winged alien creatures. What else do you expect?
  • The Smiler: A machine designed to marmalise the minds and bodies of the riders...making them smile. Simple as that.
  • TH13TEEN: 13 being an unlucky number for some, suiting the theme well. This was undoubtedly Merlin's most creative name in my opinion.
Oh yeah... forgot about that. Won't there at least be some people still in the whole creative thing anyway?

Oh yeah... forgot about that. Won't there at least be some people still in the whole creative thing anyway?

I would assume so, but then again, think about how hard it is to come up with a name that fits the attraction and its theme. It literally took John Wardley and Nick Varney nearly a whole night (and a whole bottle of Southern Comfort) to come up with the name Nemesis.

I would assume so, but then again, think about how hard it is to come up with a name. It literally took John Wardley and Nick Varney nearly a whole night (and a whole bottle of Southern Comfort) to come up with the name Nemesis.

I've heard that too [emoji1] and thats another thing, Varney is still in charge.