Merlin Entertainments

RobF

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 minute ago, louis_cullen said:

Yay even less money for the Merlin parks which are already struggling with a lack of staff

You could also look at it on the flip side, a more successful US business could bring more capital for the rest of the group. (Im not saying that will happen but we certainly should just assume this will mean less money here!) 

Just now, Marc said:

You could also look at it on the flip side, a more successful US business could bring more capital for the rest of the group. (I'm not saying that will happen but we certainly should just assume this will mean less money here!) 

That is true. If I'm correct the Busch parks bring in a lot of profit due to Tampa being all year round.

On 07/08/2017 at 2:45 PM, Marc said:

Apparently since this article Merlin confirmed during an earnings call their interest in buying the Busch Gardens parks

https://skift.com/2017/08/07/merlin-hints-at-interest-in-buying-seaworlds-busch-gardens/ 

Yay, more theme parks for Merlin to completely trash. The lack of vision or any exciting future for Thorpe, Chessington and Alton really don't inspire confidence that they could run the Busch parks well, aside from bleeding it dry from profits and budget cutting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There's a difference between being claustrophobic and being up there for 10 minutes and being claustrophobic and knowing you're trapped up there for a lengthy period. For me on planes it's all plain sailing, until you reach Gatwick, everyone's standing and crashing into each other and the pilot says we are waiting for Gatwick to attach the platform and I can't say how long that will take. That wasn't nice. I see where you are coming from though.

That apology from Merlin was a bit crap.

• 3 weeks later...
https://www.ft.com/content/ac33637d-7199-3575-9999-ae9f22659b53

Merlin is looking at whether they can hook SeaWorld into their collection..
Merlin should focus on their current attractions, not on buying new ones.
Some of the parks are filthy, I swear only half the food places open at the parks, they're understaffed, and how many rides are sbno?
Fix your current parks before you decide to ruin any others

The interesting point is aren't Sea Life and Sea World still incompatible together? 

Article is 5 years old but still relevant

SeaWorld promotes and profits from maintaining cetaceans in captivity for public entertainment, while SEA LIFE (owned by the Merlin Entertainments Group) is adamantly opposed to keeping cetaceans in tanks.  SeaWorld officials criticize anyone who calls for the early retirement of performing cetaceans, while SEA LIFE fights for the development of retirement sanctuaries for these same animals.

Why does this stark contrast in opinions matter?  Because The Blackstone Group, one of the world’s leading private equity firms, is the parent of both SeaWorld and SEA LIFE–two aquarium-based companies that are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Read more: http://marinesciencetoday.com/2012/11/26/seaworld-vs-sea-life-same-mission-different-values/#ixzz4udJsnfqU