Merlin Entertainments

RobF

In colaboration with Blackpool council merlin will takeover running Blackpool Tower, The louis tussauds wax works which will become the UK's second Maddam tussauds, An anouncement has been made that a dungeons attraction will be built in the Blackpool Tower building. Merlin will referbish most of the attractions including a 3/4d theatre preview at the tower before they relaunch. The tower is likely going to be branded under the 'eye brand'.link link

• 7 months later...

I've got to admit, I'm disappointed with this. They're turning Blackpool Tower into the same thing as every other Merlin attraction and thus taking away from the tower what it really is! It has personality which Merlin is stamping over with the cheese they put everywhere else. A 4d cinema like Madame Tussauds and The London Eye have and Alton Towers WILL have. And the Dungeons like, well, the London Dungeons. Bp tower is unique. Even if merlin did do something could they not be a little more original. Cheese may equal money but its getting boring now.

I've got to admit, I'm disappointed with this. They're turning Blackpool Tower into the same thing as every other Merlin attraction and thus taking away from the tower what it really is! It has personality which Merlin is stamping over with the cheese they put everywhere else. A 4d cinema like Madame Tussauds and The London Eye have and Alton Towers WILL have. And the Dungeons like, well, the London Dungeons. Bp tower is unique. Even if merlin did do something could they not be a little more original. Cheese may equal money but its getting boring now.

Probably a better way of wording is Merlins 'Brands';Merlin really love brands, they think it pushes gate figures and makes days out into experiences. Maybe blue sky thinking but who knows.

And the Dungeons like, well, the London Dungeons.

And York Dungeons, and Edinburgh Dungeons, and so on...What about all their Sea-Lifes as well?I've never been to the Tower itself when in Blackpool because I've just never really felt like it... And considering how popular the Merlin Brands are there is a very obvious reason why they're doing this for the Tower... And it may also help Blackpool in the long run... The thing about our sea-side resorts is that they are just not as popular as they once were... It's that simple really... So if Merlin can get people thinking "Oh the London Eye is good, let's check out the Tower Eye" and get more punters visiting who may not do normally will mean some more money in the future...Also, why are we complaining about Cheese in Blackpool? The whole bloody place is tacky as hell! :P

Should improve the experiences there. Yeah, its a brand. But its a well known brand. One which draws people in.Least its a dungeons, which'll be localised around their issues and history, rather than a sealife.. not many blackpool variety of fish.Dislike the eye logo though. Damn you turning it into a brand!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Merlin are planning another of their 'eye' attractions, following the London Eye and the Blackpool tower 'eye.'It is stated to be a 174 foot tall observation tower, where the platform rotates 360 degrees to offer great views of the seaside town and also for the 2012 Sailing events which will be held in Weymouth & Portland during the 2012 Olympic Games.

Merlin divisional director James Burleigh told the Dorset Echo: “We believe that this will generate much longer term interest in the town and what it has to offer and that the new observation tower would provide an important new attraction for the town.“The design we have chosen and our experience in operating observation attractions also means that Merlin is uniquely qualified for such a fast start project and we are certainly hoping that the people of Weymouth support the scheme and enjoy the tower for years to come.”

>Source<I see this as a good addition for the town, I visit Weymouth every year myself on holiday so am quite excited to see what they come up with. The plans are the exact same specifications for the 174 Foot tall Intamin Gyro tower, so I presume it will be one of these (The model is called the "Super Gyro Tower 1000"). :)Posted Image Edited by IanNem

Will we get a Worthing 4d experience like Blackpool and London then? :).I rather like their midway brands going everywhere. Wonder how much they think they could charge for this.

Edited by IanNem
Place name capitals

Merlin making a brilliant decision by adding an attraction to somewhere else which will see a heavy amount of income in the Summer due to the Olympics?Great business decision...And people probs holiday regularly in Weymouth... It'll probs make some money...

Merlin making a brilliant decision by adding an attraction to somewhere else which will see a heavy amount of income in the Summer due to the Olympics?

Are you saying an event that goes on for a stunning 2 weeks is the main reason Merlin are building an eye there. :lol: