Merlin Entertainments

RobF

11 hours ago, Owen said:

Thorpe as they are evidentially excited to show this attraction off - for money focused reasoning or not. I'm sure Merlin didn't think "oh you know what'd be funny, we say Ghost Train will open on this date, and then not open it! The loss of money will be worth it!". I'm sure they weren't expecting the ride to have issues, and so there's no point pointing a finger at anyone because it could be delayed for any number of reasons, however in no way have they purposely created this problem for themselves. 

Ha no, that goes without saying they didn't do it on purpose, no one was suggesting that.

It's the same people who havn't learnt from their mistakes of the past and have seemingly proven time and again that they cannot produce projects of quality on time. They rush into grand ideas that are beyond their skill and then point blame at other people when it comes to situations like this. They have the wrong theme park ethos, but plough on regardless with their schemes of how they're revolutionising the industry with new technology (that has not worked) without a care for the decades of learning and expertise from the past.

People seem to assume the reason this is delayed is because of some unfortunate fate that was totally out of their control. It isn't, it's just standard project mismanagement and flaws in design, like all the other recent projects. It's sad because a lot of people would have worked very hard indeed on this attraction, who will probably be highly stressed at this point, and yet again it has been mismanaged.

Well I respect Merlin for 'ploughing on', they try to revolutionise the industry for your enjoyment - if you have an issue with that then don't go to these places. At least they haven't backed out at the last minute because something isn't working properly *cough*rivers of light*cough*. The truth of the matter is no one knows what wrong with it, there have been rumours that HTC have messed up, Figment Productions have messed up all the way down to Scruffy Dog having theming issues. Any one of these issues could be true - but no one will know which one or who to blame. 

11 minutes ago, Archive said:

People seem to assume the reason this is delayed is because of some unfortunate fate that was totally out of their control. It isn't, it's just standard project mismanagement and flaws in design, like all the other recent projects. It's sad because a lot of people would have worked very hard indeed on this attraction, who will probably be highly stressed at this point, and yet again it has been mismanaged.

How do you know this? Have Thorpe park given the reason? 

We don't know the scenario... it could be an external H&S visit that's delayed it, it could be Derren's decided to re-write or re-craft a certain scene, it could be they wanted to add a new element last minute, it could be they've had to re-cast and re-rehearse, it could be the costumes were delayed...

Every single choice affects all other departments.  If a ride movement choice is made, that affects the show control software, which affects the actors' choices, which affects the throughput, which affects operations, etc etc. 

Coming from the theatre industry - I know how this works - as this is not a ride, it's a theatrical experience and is certainly being treated as one.   This isn't just a case of a ride moving in a building. 

43 minutes ago, Nick Hutson said:

We don't know the scenario... it could be an external H&S visit that's delayed it, it could be Derren's decided to re-write or re-craft a certain scene, it could be they wanted to add a new element last minute, it could be they've had to re-cast and re-rehearse, it could be the costumes were delayed...

Every single choice affects all other departments.  If a ride movement choice is made, that affects the show control software, which affects the actors' choices, which affects the throughput, which affects operations, etc etc. 

Coming from the theatre industry - I know how this works - as this is not a ride, it's a theatrical experience and is certainly being treated as one.   This isn't just a case of a ride moving in a building. 

Nope. As much as I'd love to believe it was delayed because of any of those reasons, but that's not how the UK theme park industry works sadly. Do you really think Merlin would put creative decisions and finishing touches over just getting the damn thing open so they can get the rise in stats they created it for? I'm not just being a miserable pessimist.

Everything to do with Derren Brown's input had wrapped up months ago, it's now a case of everyone just pressuring each other to get the damn thing open. Also I am well aware of the many factors and elements of creating an attraction, how one affects the other in time, technology, show and process - that is the entire job of the project managers to be aware of and bring it together.

And no it's nothing to do with Figment or Scruffy Dog (surprise surprise, the 'rumours' only know about the contractors who have publically announced their involvement in the project, sounds like clutching at straws to me). It's sad that people are still so naive when time and time again Merlin don't deliver. Expectations are now so low that customers actually defend poor quality and invent their own excuses as to why it is flawed. That is just silly.

When the ride opens, everyone is going to flock to it anyway, so what's the point in defending or debating this current mess. Just let them sort themselves out, hope they actually get it right next time and stop letting so many people down.

The ironic thing is, you say that 'rumours' is like clutching at straws yet you are spreading rumours yourself, in fact using one of the only companies widely known. In regards to you saying that expectations are low, I think you'll find that you are completely and utterly false. There is a difference between defending something until it's proven guilty and defending it for the sake of it, I am not sure why the attraction is delayed - so I am going to be mature and accept it could be for any number of reasons, not blindly go around accusing people of something I have little to no knowledge about. If something of a notable source comes forward and proves the delay is all to do with Merlin then I will happily say they should have tried harder.

Although what I don't get is why Merlin are the only company people have an issue with, even when attractions such as Disney haven't delivered an attraction on time in years, with their most recent being cancelled because they couldn't be bothered to fix it...

14 minutes ago, Owen said:

I am not sure why the attraction is delayed - so I am going to be mature and accept it could be for any number of reasons, not blindly go around accusing people of something I have little to no knowledge about. If something of a notable source comes forward and proves the delay is all to do with Merlin then I will happily say they should have tried harder.

Could it be perhaps I know the reasons why it is delayed? And that I have good reason to be saying these things in a (admittedly rather feeble) attempt to change people's accepting attitudes and get Merlin to up their game? Except that's not the point, the "reasons" for its delay and the fact it's delayed is by the by, the main problem behind all these flaws is the same as it's always been. People have the wrong ethos in the industry and blame others for their own mistakes.

Also I know many moaning enthusiasts often blindly band around "Merlin this, Merlin that" just because it's a company name they know, so I'd understand why you'd think I were doing the same. And good on you for waiting for some clear proof before you make some judgement, I'd be inclined to point out everything that's happened in recent years with massively flawed projects is proof enough, but maybe once this Derren Brown ride opens more of the truth will come out.

Would it really be a surprise if the delay is down to mismanagement and poor project handling?

Whether Archive knows or not on the actual issues doesn't matter when he's busy hitting the nail on the head on Merlin's way of running the parks... If innovation is a drop tower with actors in a scare corridor, or in this case a simulator with vr and a themed walkthrough with demonic puppet, breaking the industry barrier they are not...

Chasing obscure worlds first (FULLY DEDICATED TO VR) is part of this problem...

Like I say I am prepared for this outcome as it could be a reason, but it also could not. So I am not assuming things I don't have sufficient information to back myself up with. If others do, fine, but once again - innocent until proven guilty.

2 hours ago, Nick Hutson said:

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child has started 'secret' performances last week and is ENORMOUSLY technical with tons of illusions and it's one of many shows that managed to open/opening on time.

It's really starting to grind my gears how some enthusiasts are saying 'we should be lucky', 'they're doing their best'... WHY do so many of you settle and make excuses? Merlin are poor at what they do and history demonstates this all the time. Benin hit the nail on the head.

I'm not slating The Ghost Train, I understand things can happen, but if they were adding additional bits in June, God knows what state the attraction was a month before opening. Mismanaged.

I don't think it's fair to say Merlin are poor at what they do - they are a huge company who run attractions across the globe and are a hugely successful business, there will be a reason for that sucsess.

Of course delays like this are not good for them - but again they happen across the industry all the time.

They are a big business because that's all they aspire to be, a big influential profitable business, and it most certainly comes at the cost of any entertainment and filters down to every aspect of their attractions, including why this new attraction is so badly managed and delayed. The fact that we need to 'respect' a company's decisions in order to excuse their carelessness towards to guest's experience is ridiculous. They'll happily overprice everything, upsell to excess, underpay contractors, ignore negative guest feedback.. Capitalising on bland trends, buying out existing attractions and ploughing all money into marketing is how they've become so big, do we need to respect that?

Yes, delays happen across the industry often, but not to this repeated extent with this many flaws in process; the difference with Disney and Merlin is that Disney's rides are of exceptional professional quality even after all the corporateness, while Merlin's are always mismanaged hashes with an ugly layer of politics & egotrips kept hidden under the PR surface. Anyway, I'm not actually here to moan, just it's a bit saddening how much fans will believe PR and make excuses for a massive company that is doing its job incorrectly without any care for the industry's heritage or really its guests.

Let's hope Derren Brown's Ghost Train is both a well-rounded entertaining attraction and a wake up call for the company.

1 hour ago, Insider said:

There will be timed tickets for the first few months so queueing shouldn't be too bad. 

You say this, but it is almost guaranteed to be absolute chaos. It will be fastrack, without being fast. 

1 hour ago, TraX said:

Merlin are poor at what they do and history demonstates this all the time. Benin hit the nail on the head.

52934792.jpg

1 hour ago, Marc said:

I don't think it's fair to say Merlin are poor at what they do - they are a huge company

The only thing huge about this company, is their wallet, that's all it will ever be.

Just now, StevenVig said:

The only thing huge about this company, is their wallet, that's all it will ever be.

If you don't like how they run the parks its very simple to just not visit the parks. Although i would argue that all businesses set out to make the most profit they can (Yes even Disney)

The amount of hatred towards Merlin on here and other forums does amaze me, whilst i'm fully aware they are far from perfect, they are far from terrible IMO too. 

It was only 10 years ago when DIC bought out Tussauds our parks were being ran into the ground and were considerably worse ran than they are now. 

1 minute ago, Marc said:

If you don't like how they run the parks its very simple to just not visit the parks. Although I would argue that all businesses set out to make the most profit they can (Yes even Disney)

The amount of hatred towards Merlin on here and other forums does amaze me, whilst I'm fully aware they are far from perfect, they are far from terrible IMO too. 

It was only 10 years ago when DIC bought out Tussauds our parks were being ran into the ground and were considerably worse ran than they are now. 

I think the reason for all the Merlin bashing is because we are in the country where it is pretty much Merlin and Merlin and Merlin, Places like America have much more choice (albeit much bigger) so a lot more for people to moan about meaning the moaning is diluted between the different companies, the UK is pretty concentrated in that regard so people feel pinned down by Merlin. They may not like how they are run but what choice have they got?

Perhaps TPM should hold a referendum on should Thorpe park leave the merlin group. #Thexit

Joking aside Merlin are not all bad, by no means do I think they are good as I feel there are often missed opportunity's and poor decisions. However out of all the parks they own I feel they run Thorpe the best out of the other parks they own. While DBGT is delayed at least we are actually getting what we wanted unlike a disappointing SW8 and another year of nothing at chessington.

12 minutes ago, KingNemesis said:

I think the reason for all the Merlin bashing is because we are in the country where it is pretty much Merlin and Merlin and Merlin, Places like America have much more choice (albeit much bigger) so a lot more for people to moan about meaning the moaning is diluted between the different companies, the UK is pretty concentrated in that regard so people feel pinned down by Merlin. They may not like how they are run but what choice have they got?

A good point, however I've had more enjoyable days at the likes of Drayton Manor, Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach and Adventure Island in Southend than at the Merlin parks this year.  I honestly can't believe it's June and I have been to Thorpe twice this year (usually will be in the region of 6+ visits by now), and both times I left wondering why I bothered.

18 minutes ago, KingNemesis said:

Thing is when you consider how small a country we really are I think we do have our fair share of (non Merlin) theme parks - we have parks like Drayton Manor, Blackpool, Paultons Park, Flamingo Land just to name a few which are often forgotten about when people claim Merlin have a hold on the industry in the UK - and are offering competition.

26 minutes ago, Marc said:

If you don't like how they run the parks its very simple to just not visit the parks. Although I would argue that all businesses set out to make the most profit they can (Yes even Disney)

Yes, that is the same with any business, but the difference is Disney do not compromise on Guest Experience. 

Shanghai, a brand new resort built from scratch, is opening on time very shortly. A single attraction by Merlin, has suffered two delays and tonnes of Guest outrage already. 

3 minutes ago, StevenVig said:

Yes, that is the same with any business, but the difference is Disney do not compromise on Guest Experience. 

Shanghai, a brand new resort built from scratch, is opening on time very shortly. A single attraction by Merlin, has suffered two delays and tonnes of Guest outrage already. 

Hasnt Shanghai's delays and over spend caused budget cuts including removal of attractions, open hours and closure of F&B units.. All sounds very farmillair to me.. http://www.themeparktourist.com/news/20160216/31480/x-reasons-why-massive-cuts-are-happening-all-over-disney-parks

Just now, Coaster Jamie said:

A good point, however I've had more enjoyable days at the likes of Drayton Manor, Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach and Adventure Island in Southend than at the Merlin parks this year.  I honestly can't believe it's June and I have been to Thorpe twice this year (usually will be in the region of 6+ visits by now), and both times I left wondering why I bothered.

That sounds like every trip to Thorpe ever for me...

I love the other parks and yes, you do have good times at other parks, however I have had several amazing trips to Alton Towers!

There are flaws with Merlin, the problem is with any business that is massive, it get very hard to control and getting a message to the head honcho through the never ending, hierarchy. 

The smaller parks can control a lot more, If something isn't right they can see that as the big bosses office might be on site. 

5 minutes ago, Marc said:

Thing is when you consider how small a country we really are I think we do have our fair share of (non Merlin) theme parks - we have parks like Drayton Manor, Blackpool, Paultons Park, Flamingo Land just to name a few which are often forgotten about when people claim Merlin have a hold on the industry in the UK - and are offering competition.

I never said we didn't... but compared to Merlin's strong grip it's an abysmally small section of the attractions in the UK.