Merlin Entertainments

RobF

1 hour ago, HermanTheGerman said:

Ha, well their entire "catching the mouse" scheme (yes, that's its actual name) just simply revolves around opening a million new midway attractions. Take away all the Madame Tussauds, Sea Life and other things, and they're a far smaller company. Surprised? Nope.

So in terms of an actual theme park operator, they're not as big as they seem - as most of what they own are midway attractions.

5 hours ago, wegloo said:

You should learn to read pal, I was asking a question, not stating a fact, hence question mark at the end of the sentence.

9 hours ago, Ian-S said:

They are the only operator in Europe that has more than one park?

3 hours ago, Ian-S said:

You should learn to read pal, I was asking a question, not stating a fact, hence question mark at the end of the sentence.

I feel like saying 'Are they' would be a better word choice in future if that is what you meant! :)

14 hours ago, Owen said:

So you are comparing a minor refurb (indeed it is terrible however I am talking about Ghost Train and Ghost Train alone as this quote is taken out of context) to a new multi million pound attraction? 

Seems fair.

No, I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying its sad, that despite all the rubbish they continue to throw at you (Tomb Blaster refurb, Sub-Terra, Zufari, The Smiler, "Ghost Train is not creatively ready" which is a total lie) you still support them, and act as if they're working the hands of god bringing us all these wonderful attractions. 

Why do you think Ghost Train will be any better than all those projects I've just listed? They've already lied to you and said there's "creative troubles" when the ride is just plain broken. Stop defending them and their mediocrity. 

Again, like Archive, I'm not being negative because "it's Merlin, ooooooo". This is just really how it is. Why does such a backwards company, who don't have a clue how to really make a good show, get all this defense? Its just baffling.

I haven't been to any Merlin parks this year and I only went to Thorpe and Alton once last year, both on an annual pass I got for free. I haven't bought an annual pass for years. This is unlike me.. 

The general under-keep of the parks, Alton closing loads of rides for 'TLC' (when really they're saving money), the dreadful 'world first' BS (the whole AIR thing wound me up, as it did VR coaster who's reputation was at risk through Alton's misleading claim), H&S knee jerks (The latest Alton fence heights Vs parks everywhere else-even Taron, the knee jerk theming destruction at Chessington in 2013), Chessington in every single other way, the way they treat and under pay their staff (the amount of staff complaints from the Eye to Nick Varney has been staggering. One complaint opened the flood gates and he had to take notice and surprise visit- although that's another story).

Basically Merlin are too arrogant and anyone that has worked for them will have plenty of tales to tell. It's also interesting that many long term enthusiasts from the Southparks 2003 onwards era, share the same opinion.

Once again, there's a difference to mindlessly supporting a company and supporting a development. Personally I find some of Merlin's practises tragic, such as the entirety of Chessington, baby proofing towers and Galactica. However I haven't got the time of day to sit here moaning about it (with the exception of Chessington), I just try to move on and hope what they do next will be to my taste - which Ghost Train is, I'm unsure wether it will live up to expectations (very high ones at that) but I'm not going to jump the gun and say they aren't trying already - it's not like Merlin are the only company who have issues after all.

• 3 months later...

Passholder Wizards, we wanted to let you know that on 13th October 2016 we'll be introducing our 2016/17 Merlin Annual Pass terms and rates for Standard and Premium Passes.

This year we've introduced some amazing new features across all our UK attractions, from the Sherlock Holmes Experience at Madame Tussauds London to the ground breaking VR experience, Galactica, at Alton Towers Resort.

We’re really excited to announce the launch of the ALL-NEW Merlin Annual Pass Holiday Club. Club members will receive access to deals at our fantastic short breaks accommodation. We will be contacting you soon with all the details you’ll need.

2017 is set to be yet another exciting year, full of exciting new surprises for to explore again and again, and as a Passholder we will make sure you’re the first to hear about them!

For more information regarding the 2016/2017 terms, rates and the ALL NEW Holiday Club please see: www.merlinannualpass.co.uk/pass-announcement.aspx

Not sure I like the sound of "terms and rates"!

Price increase because people will still continue to buy the passes regardless. As soon as people stop to wonder if these parks are actually worth their time and start finding out about other more fun places to visit, then perhaps the prices will better reflect the quality. Sadly there's too much a monopoly on theme parks in the country and the public & fans are too easily persuaded by their 'brands'. The annual pass is designed to keep it that way, brand awareness and keeping guests loyal to Merlin's parks only.

I just want to put a bit of perspective on things.  Just had a look at an annual pass for Drayton Manor and the website quoted £70 for a year and Paultons Park was £104 for a year.  Now the Merlin is more expensive, but is it better value for money than the others?  The issue that does arise is that by buying a Merlin pass you are less likely to visit the smaller independent parks, which then just increases the monopoly of Merlin.  However I don't think we can argue that Merlin are ripping us off for what you get, or we can :)

The independent parks are more dependent on ticketing & passes for their finances, the Merlin annual pass is quite a unique model and one only such a large company with almost all the major UK parks people recognise can operate, it has nationwide and worldwide divisions set up to sell these passes and drive up sales & revenue of them every year.

A Paultons Park annual pass is cost of about 4 visits in a year - Only really for very avid fans living locally and it's hardly advertised on their website. Can be expected for a park of lesser recognition and smaller size, which is family owned, and return profits are retained within the park. The pass also includes no restrictions, lots of standard discounts and parking is free anyway.

Drayton Manor, a fairly well known park, is the cost of 3 visits, it also includes no restrictions to events and parking is free to all guests. Again, as an independent park the money is retained within.

To get exactly the equivalent perks with a Merlin pass you'd need to pay for the premium pass, which was the original pass perks just with a price hike and the tiers underneath it introduced. This is £209 per person, the cost of 7 visits to a Merlin park in a year (based on a guide price of £28 per park, since Thorpe and Chessington are about £27 each and Alton Towers in advance is over £35, Legoland in advance is £37).

Those include much higher day ticket prices than the smaller parks, and a family would be drawn to visit their parks all over the country in order to claim value for money. Over 7 visits to parks in a year is a lot for one family, but this is now becoming the standard, it is the model that the Merlin annual pass encourages most families to take.  It is a very efficient system that Merlin now exactly how to use.

For a STANDARD pass, £170 each, you'd pay yourself back in 6 visits, an average £5 each for parking (Chessington is £3, Legoland £5, Alton Towers and Thorpe £6), 6x£5 is an extra £30 taken off you - most the £30 you saved by not going for the PREMIUM pass. What a silly game.

Read into it either way. But to any guests who just want to visit around 10 Merlin parks in a year, then it will be good value, but there are so many factors and systems at play with the Merlin Annual Pass that I don't believe it can be easily compared to other smaller parks. It's a unique, premium product and a lifeline of Merlin's brand schemes, revenue, customer base and business model, whereas in smaller parks a season pass is usually just a discount for regular guests.

31 minutes ago, Roodie said:

I just want to put a bit of perspective on things.  Just had a look at an annual pass for Drayton Manor and the website quoted £70 for a year and Paultons Park was £104 for a year.  Now the Merlin is more expensive, but is it better value for money than the others?  The issue that does arise is that by buying a Merlin pass you are less likely to visit the smaller independent parks, which then just increases the monopoly of Merlin.  However I don't think we can argue that Merlin are ripping us off for what you get, or we can :)

The difference for me is that Drayton and Paultons are family owned business and the money spent in the parks, does get reinvested and you see the results. If I pay for an Annual Pass I'm probably helping to build Legoland India but my parks get shafted.

1 minute ago, Mark9 said:

The difference for me is that Drayton and Paultons are family owned business and the money spent in the parks, does get reinvested and you see the results. If I pay for an Annual Pass I'm probably helping to build Legoland India but my parks get shafted.

I completely agree with you.  My issue is having two young children who like theme parks and doing things at the weekend, just personally I get a lot more from the Merlin pass.  I guess it is just down to how an individual perceives value for money.  Some one who is a thrill seeker isn't going to get as much value out of the pass as a family, as I'm more than happy to take the family to different Sea life centres, and to the Midways in London a couple of times a year, as well as the parks.  Which means we can be out doing something every other weekend for the majority of the year. 

I know I am feeding the corporate machine which is Merlin, but unfortunately I have limited funds through out the year to entertain the boys and this pass means I can do more with them.  If they decide to charge an extra £10 a year, then I will pay it.

I think one has to consider what value the Merlin Annual Pass gives to the purchaser, and that includes the chances to use venues worldwide. If it was considered a "bargain" in the past, that value really hasn't dropped, the availability of items at each venue has.

Personally, other than TP, I only anticipate one other Merlin venue visit annually, so I only purchase the TP Annual Pass. Now I do consider £60 a bargain. 

Standard and Premium only get 20% off the gate entry price at parks outside the UK, it's only the VIP passholders that free entry worldwide, so there's no real benefit in those terms.

We already decided earlier this year to downgrade, only me and mini-me are renewing and the Mrs will use our bring-a-friend vouchers for the rare times she joins us.

33 minutes ago, Ian-S said:

Standard and Premium only get 20% off the gate entry price at parks outside the UK, it's only the VIP passholders that free entry worldwide, so there's no real benefit in those terms.

We already decided earlier this year to downgrade, only me and mini-me are renewing and the Mrs will use our bring-a-friend vouchers for the rare times she joins us.

Ah, I didn't realize there were restrictions on those, so see what you mean.

Merlin Entertainment, the company that owns big theme parks like Legoland, Alton Towers and Thorpe Park, has decided to no longer allow Blue Peter badge holders free entry to their attractions.

The new rules will apply from January 2017.

Merlin say: 'We regularly review our partnerships to ensure we are offering fair value and great benefits to our visitors of all ages. As part of this review, we've agreed with the BBC to end the long-standing relationship to give Blue Peter badge holders free access to attractions. This is not a decision we've taken lightly as we have been involved in the scheme for many years, but we hope badge holders may take advantage of many other attractive Merlin offers in the future.'

The BBC say: 'Your Blue Peter badge gives you access to lots of amazing places around the UK, but this list can change from time to time, so please always check the CBBC Blue Peter website before setting off.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/37431195

7 hours ago, Project LC said:

Yeah great value for access to a load of rundown poorly managed parks (Ill let Thorpe off as they are no where near the level of CWOA) and a few London attractions that are quite nice that you are likely to do once or not at all with your pass.

You still get unlimited entry to the UK's biggest parks for a year though - don't know about anyone else but using Merlins calculator thing we've saved thousands of pounds with our passes.

The Blue Peter badge thing is very popular and from experience many children would visit in the summer months with the badges.

Giving some guests free entry for something entirely unrelated to Merlin's brand wasn't going to last long with them, which lots of people will be rightly annoyed by, but not enough for the company to really take notice.