Thorpe Park Meetup - Sunday 30th May 2010

Marc

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thins is as soon as a leader is made they ultimately get the blame for any shortcomings that occur but on the other side of that, people may think TPM is being to dictorial by deciding what the group does if they don't listen to anyone*.I think really the trips need a point. Why did everyone meet yesterday, any ideas? Before it's been opening weekend or Stealth Extra ride time, yesterday was just for the sake of meeting on what turned out to be a chaotic day at the park.*In saying this, I'd ask MikeyT to be the leader every time.

Although no other help was given to stop it, I don't think Marc is all to blame for the violence, it is up to members to be mature enough not to hit someone when something isn't going their way.

I'm not blaming Marc for the violence. I just didn't like the fact that I was left alone to handle it =/

What? And nobody took video? Shame on you all!

Have no fear, I caught it on video :)I've read loads of these comments, everyone saying about how they weren't welcomed etc etc. But the majority of us were up, talking and mingling. When you're sat down in a silent group, I don't quite know how to approach that? As Adam said, he was stood up on his first meet, talking and mingling, and that was easier to approach him. When you want to be welcomed, although on one side we need to make the effort to talk to you, you need to make yourself approachable. And just to add, without getting at anyone, we are advised to eat before the meet so at the next one, can everyone try to be a bit more organised with food? That can slow the process down and it is kinda unsocial etc. I know in some cases it may be unavoidable but ya know. I do agree, though, that the meet was rather aimless. I think, perhaps, each meet should have set members who help lead the group around? Although this may typically be a reserved job for the admin team, we all have our off days, they can't be expected to organise everything. We're aaall a part of this community and a community helps structure and support each other with a group of leaders to turn to at times of issues that can't be resolved amongst one another. Come on guys, we're all better than this and we know that. So let's stop the comments aimed to 'those who wandered off' and just think about how we can all improve the next meet. Kthnx.

The last meet-up I went on Aug 30th '09, we went round in a huge group and it was fantastic. I dont know why this meet-up didnt work. I hate waiting to go on rides especially if it is a busy day and I think for the sake of our sanities, meet-ups should be on less busier days.Even the Frite Nites meet-up could be on one of the less busier days.

The last meet-up I went on Aug 30th '09, we went round in a huge group and it was fantastic. I dont know why this meet-up didnt work. I hate waiting to go on rides especially if it is a busy day and I think for the sake of our sanities, meet-ups should be on less busier days.Even the Frite Nites meet-up could be on one of the less busier days.

Nobody paid attention to how busy we predicted it to be other than saying it should be on a sunday. Other than that, this was the most convenient date for us all.

Personally, I was extremely anxious at my first meet (March this year) but the members were very friendly (Professor X, Ellie L, Adam Y, Holly, Peaj and Skunky to name a few). It may come across as people trying to avoid you but the truth is they are friends who are trying to catch up after not seeing them for a long time. For that reason it's a bit ridiculous to expect people to gather round you and demand your attention towards them. Both parties need to put the effort in.I agree that the meets could do with some more structure so maybe the next forum competition could be to come up with meet ideas and the mods/admins can pick one between them for the next meet. Will, FN seems to be only happening on busy days this year so that could be difficult.

We would also like to remind members that violence towards each other is completely unacceptable and you are lucky that you weren't punished for today. (Aimed at smartguy, this isn't the first time you attacked Matt)These meet's need to be re-thought out, with a proper structure and point to them. Today was a shambles and I am embarrassed that the guy who created this site had no in-put into today's meet up. Marc Simpson you fail. Instead of gathering everyone together, for a photo and ride, you kept to your own little group and left it to us younger members to sort out. I tried to get the photo going but people wouldn't listen to an immature 15 year old like myself.If we are to have meet's in the future, then they need to be sorted out. Today was a disgrace and I feel ashamed that the newer members did not enjoy themselves as I did on my first meet up.Seriously guys, we need to sort this out.

I couldn't agree more. An immature 15 year old wouldn't make that post Ryan. Nor would he step in and deal with the situation I created on X://NWO. :$One point regarding the Matt/ Sam situation, it wasn't anymore than a reaction to the shock and pain Sam experienced when Matt dragged him down the hill. It was actually me who started it by pulling Sam off of the speaker on the grass, as a joke, and Matt simply joined in. Sam did get hurt and his reaction was more of a reflex, which settled down almost as quickly as it started.The meetup was a disaster and, I am afraid, was predictable. Without leadership and purpose at these events, as well as better timing (I.e. not a Holiday Weekend) these events will not succeed. I have resigned from the Team tonight, but will continue to visit MH as regularly as I can.

Can we please all have a group hug, and make up? (Cue on of Aero's amazing emoticons!)Literally as we speak, the team are discussing how we can further improve our Mania Hub trips and help to include all of our members into the community. We're organising a series of mini meets and official meets starting after exams finish.Yesterday was unfortunate but at the end of the day, not one person or condition was at fault, but more of a series of things that all added up.

I agree.In fact you know what this places needs? A WOMAN! :)As the superior gender :) we will make sure everything is organised and doesn't go wrong!

I agree, pity I didn't make it until half 2. I would have taken delight in cracking a whip at everyone. At the end of the day people had fun in their little predicatble groups and you all should have had fun together. Next time I'll make sure I'm there on time. Sitting in your little groups do not help at all. I remember my first meet-up and it was the best one because everyone talked to everyone and didn't stick to pre-decided groups. Everyone should learn from this, admins is organisation and non-bias and the rest of us is not to learn from example.

You cannot prevent people staying in their preferred groups, that's generally impossible to do in 'big' meets...However, the leader should go around to each and every person and either introduce themself to newbies or say hello to people who have been met before...Meets are that hard to organise really... Set a time-frame to meet up of 30 minutes at a certain point, if people cannot make that time they can sort out something quickly after depending on their arrival... One of the team is determined as the group leader which could be different each trip and they're in charge of everyone... Go around together in the morning, call lunch at a certain time for an hour or so, meet at another specific point and then go around together for the rest of the day...Simples...

That was a classic day and I still watch the videos :)We even rode the highest ride in the UK that evening :(I guess it had direction and purpose, no ert or that, just a bunch of great people who had a great day. There was certainly a tear in my eye as each person left to go home, and when it came to an end ... although the quest to find a Tesco was quite long :)

As much as I am aware of the failure of this ManiaHub meet-up, nobody has any right to place blaime on anyone especially Marc. People where individually saying 'this is dis-organised' But not one of you actually decided to take control and say right everyone we need to do this for at least 20 minutes where the job STILL remained dis-organised, I was unaware the photo actually got taken until everyone had disbanded in the seperate ways. So nobody has any right to point fingers. Your all individually, as am I, part of the failure of this meet.