Doctor Who

Ryan

I've been a massive Dr Who fan for years, but suddenly and surprisingly find myself not caring any more.I think Matt Smith is a great Dr, but the writing feels formulaic and it just does not hold my attention at all. I haven't even watched the last couple of episodes and I don't care at all.

I'm with you Fred- except I have loved all of the NuWho Doctors. I like how each one is played differently, yet, it's still the same man. Each series has had good and bad episodes. I have to say though, I have yet to find an episode this series that has been totally rubbish. Yes, I even enjoyed The Curse of the Black Spot and appreciated The Almost People story. (although the latter I enjoyed possibly the least).Saturday just gone's episode is possibly one of my favourite NuWho episodes ever. From the performances to the story, to the photography. It was all so very beautiful and understated. The ending, I thought was brilliant. Go watch it if you haven't.

Last episode of Torchwood tonight! I dunno what it's been about this series, I thought it was a bit too slow at the beginning, which is making the ending feel a bit more rushed than I was expecting, but I've loved it, much like all the previous series.Can't wait to see how it ends; just hope it's not some cheap, cheesey ending that feels like lazy writing... Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

Quite a poor way to end the series. If you didn't watch but are going to, the rest of this post will be a spoiler.My main issue is how everything is so easy. The Doctor's death is a fixed point, easy, take what was quite a poor part of "Lets Kill Hitler" and make that the conclusion to what has turned out to be a 5 month series. I think even the Flesh storyline would have felt more satisfying, even if would have been more obvious, it dramatically would have been more cohesive.More importantly though, I absolutely HATE IT when a series has to have more questions then answers at the finale.Who is Doctor Who?More importantly, who cares who he is. I've coped not knowing his name and who he is for the 48 years of series now, it makes no difference what he is or what he may have done to become a question mark. Moffatts series is to scared to even try and answer that question anyway. This series has shyed itself away from emotional consequences by having the regulars die every story that its not dramatic anyway. The timey wimey stuff is also a bit samey now. When Blink did it, it was so clever and brilliant. Now everytime it's a Moffatt script you know whats coming. Parts of scenes cut away until they are needed, the whole story never shown. Thank god the 1971 Pertwee story, Colony in Space has arrived, time for a fun, action story.

Torchwood: Great first half, terrible second half.Doctor Who: Very few TVs seem to be able to get their pacing right. For American shows, they are normally too slow with plenty of filler episodes where nothing really happens. With Moffat at Who's reigns, he just tries to put far too much in. I don't normally watch Confidential but seeing as this was the end of a 2 part season, I had a hunch there would be some sort of story summary. Sure enough, River's story had about 15 minutes devoted to it, with Moffat smugly saying at one point "I've never found River's timeline confusing". I'd hope so as one of the guys running the show.RIVER SORT OF SPOILERSHer arc could have neatly ended if they had used the flashbacks and voiceovers from Confidential showing the young girl in the spacesuit and regenerating, being with Amy at school, Cleopatra, leading up to her death in the library. I didn't remember stuff from the first episode of the season and I doubt many people did unless they watched it recently.SORT OF SPOILERS OVERIn fact, the pirate ship episode should have been axed and the finale could have been a 2 parter.

• 1 year later...

Bringing this topic back!

Well wasn't yesterday's episode great?! It just had a great storyline and everything fit so well together. Loved it all, and Strax is just a great character! :D

This and the previous episode have been two of the best episodes in a good long while. EDIT: By previous episode, I meant Hide - for some reason, I completely forgot about Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS, which was rather average... :S

I just wondered talking with other people, am I the only one who gets annoyed at how human the show is?

I'm not saying never visit earth or never go back in the earths history but when it's every other episode?

And I find the show far to human character based, yes I know again humans will appear but I much prefer episodes where humans are far less featured as they should be, this is a show about exploring space and time, there should be constant aliens and they should feature more prominently!

I actually really liked that episode with the girl being sacrificed to the alien for the planet, not story wise (the story and planet thing was terrible and a joke IMO) but there were so many aliens featured! Aliens everywhere! As I think it should be when doing a sci-fi show and all these going back in earths history and finding aliens involved with everything is rather dull by now!

• 2 weeks later...