Doctor Who

Ryan

8 hours ago, stretchy said:

I'm Currently watching Season 9 of the original series. About to start 'The Curse of Peladon'. I started re-watching from the original start last year and am enjoying them as much if not more than the newer series's. It seems less... .... ... arrogant.

Love the Curse of Peladon. The Jon Pertwee era is by far my favourite from the classic series. The older series is far more fun to watch to be honest.

Present day Doctor Who is really bad, I gave up halfway through the first Matt Smith series despite it being by far my favourite TV show when Christopher Eccleston was the Doctor.

My main issue is it relies too much on main stories that go on for whole seasons, back in the glory days each episode was self contained bar the odd two parter and this made staying in and watching it on a Saturday night such an event. Each episode used to be a different time period too and I used to get so excited to see which bit of history or the future was going to be in next weeks episode but now so much of it is just set in the present day.

Stretchy, I completely agree with your comment about arrogance, there's always been a slight loveable cockiness to the Doctors character but Matt Smith just seemed so up his own arse and I assume Capeldi is the same.

It worked well with badwolf as it was a very minor role in the series and hardly noticeable unless you were looking for it. It made sense for the overall story arc to be there and added a layer of depth to the series. 

The problem with moffats overall stories is that they are the main story and not a subtle thing in the background. Also on many occasions he just rams in scenes that don't need to be there which ruin the episodes. (Into the dalek comes to mind)

5 hours ago, Project LC said:

It worked well with badwolf as it was a very minor role in the series and hardly noticeable unless you were looking for it. It made sense for the overall story arc to be there and added a layer of depth to the series. 

The problem with moffats overall stories is that they are the main story and not a subtle thing in the background. Also on many occasions he just rams in scenes that don't need to be there which ruin the episodes. (Into the dalek comes to mind)

Yeah - things like Bad Wolf and Torchwood (before we knew what it was) worked really well as they were subtle, whereas the underlying stories they write now completely take over the episodes to the point where (IMO) they aren't entertaining to watch.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

What a dull and uneventful Christmas special.  Capaldi deserved a much better send-off than that; the episode was focused far too much on the first doctor and Bill being brought back (seemingly just for the sake of it - a shame as she could have done more than one season IMO) and didn't actually go anywhere or introduce a proper villain.  The only saving grace was Murray Gold's score, but apparently he's leaving?!

Bring back stories like The End of Time - now THAT was how you send off a Doctor!

I really liked the 'down to earth' writing of the Russel T Davies period, but by End of Time it had lost touch. The End of Time was one of the cringiest things I'd ever witnessed with my family on TV (when I was still young and really into Doctor Who).

That being said, I really liked Matt Smith's first series, it felt like it became much more creative for a bit. But I felt it quickly lost any storytelling heart and became a horribly formulaic show designed as fanservice to the growing Cult of Doctor Who. With repetitive catchphrase tropes for the Doctor and the same kind of "BE IMPRESSED" writing/direction that plagued Sherlock.

Now that the Doctor is a woman, I hope they take it in a fresh direction and not use it as some kind of underlying feminist political agenda. Capaldi is my favourite actor to have played the part, but like much of the way his character was written, his send off was rushed and a wasted opportunity. Such a shame.

I'm too old for the show now, but whenever I catch a glimpse (of what used to be my favourite show) I'm surprised at how esoteric and way up its own bum Doctor Who has become. It's like it's designed to satisfy a horrible warring fandom of nerds, full of in-references, catchphrases, overblown production and 'fan fiction' esque storylines...

I liked The End of Time, whilst there were a few bizarrely OTT moments (the master flying?!) I'm prepared to see past these as I felt the overall story was entertaining, struck the right chord with the regeneration, actual proper humour (not to serve a purpose like the current episodes) and the acting from both Tennant and Cribbins was sublime.

I'd much rather have a few annoyances with an episode rather than what we have now, there was so much more going on in the episodes back then compared to nowadays, something which was evident more than ever in this year's Christmas special.

Personally speaking I think DW stopped being fun to watch after series 5.

The show has been getting worse for years. This year's Christmas special was forgettable and uneventful. All of moffats Christmas specials have been poor and clearly are written in a fraction of the time he normally writes episodes. 

The show under his leadership has seen viewing figures fall from 12.27m to 5.29m (not helped by a change in viewing habits but other shows haven't seen the audience fall in half). I don't see how the show could be worse with chibnall and whittaker but it wouldn't be the first time doctor who has surprised me in how bad it can be.

The pandorica opens

The doctor, the widow and the wardrobe

rings of akhaten

The time of the doctor

all of season 8 except into the dalek and deep breath

Last Christmas

All of season 9

(Surprisingly season 10 was reasonable but forgettable)

I did attempt to list them in an order of worst episodes but some episodes are so poor I can't possibly decide which is worse so they are in order of release.

I simply cannot enjoy watching Doctor Who. It simply cannot decide what it wants to be. If it wants to be more of a comedy, have more jokes but don't make there just be awful one liners, which feel unnecessary. If it wants to be darker, please make it darker, rather than make every monster become innocent and human-like, if the monsters are supposed to be the doctor's enemies. There are very few Doctor Who episodes which I don't find boring, which is sad for a program with hundreds of episodes.

2 hours ago, Project LC said:

I did attempt to list them in an order of worst episodes but some episodes are so poor I can't possibly decide which is worse so they are in order of release.

From what I can remember, I agree with your list! Although I thought Heaven Sent from series 9 was a great episode that took me by surprise. The premise of series 10 was also really promising (love me retro Cybermen and John Simm's Master returning WITH BEARD) but the dodgy writing and completely rushed stories just made it feel bland again for me.

Something Ive seen in a lot of entertainment now, it wants more to impress you by how 'clever' it is, plot twisting back and forth until you can't trust anything that's happening on screen, rather than taking the time to weave a good story. And we're told constantly that this dude The Doctor/Sherlock/Jack Sparrow/whoever is so brilliant and that the situation is so perilous, without the characters' actions on screen actually justifying this at all, most the time people are just standing around talking backstories and explaining the plot.

13 hours ago, Project LC said:

The show under his leadership has seen viewing figures fall from 12.27m to 5.29m (not helped by a change in viewing habits but other shows haven't seen the audience fall in half). I don't see how the show could be worse with chibnall and whittaker but it wouldn't be the first time doctor who has surprised me in how bad it can be.

Whilst the viewership has fallen (for a number of reasons), don't just take the absolute best and compare it with the absolute worst. The Christmas special 2017 for example has a final rating of just under 8 million, making it the fifth most watched programme of the day. It beat anything ITV put on all day.

I agree with a number of posts above mine but to put it into perspective, Doctor Who throughout its history has seen highs and lows. I haven't enjoyed the tale end of the Moffatt written era and feel like Capaldi was completely wasted with stories where people stand around talking to each other. Ironically, if Capaldi had left with the Cybermen two parter I'd have been far more impressed then having to go through the Christmas special where nothing actually happened.

10 hours ago, Wumbamillio said:

Something Ive seen in a lot of entertainment now, it wants more to impress you by how 'clever' it is, plot twisting back and forth until you can't trust anything that's happening on screen, rather than taking the time to weave a good story. And we're told constantly that this dude The Doctor/Sherlock/Jack Sparrow/whoever is so brilliant and that the situation is so perilous, without the characters' actions on screen actually justifying this at all, most the time people are just standing around talking backstories and explaining the plot.

Indeed. Id love for the show to go back to how it was during the Peter Davison era where the Doctor isn't a legend or for all intents and purposes God. I'd love for him to return to being just a man in a box who uses his wit and intelligence to beat enemies, not tell them what he's going to do but never actually do it.

4 hours ago, Mark9 said:

Whilst the viewership has fallen (for a number of reasons), don't just take the absolute best and compare it with the absolute worst. 

I just took the last RTD episode and compared it to the last moffat episode viewing figure that was available and finalised. Twice upon a time has now been confirmed as 7.92m which would be a fairer comparison. 

Best: Voyage of the damned 13.31m

Worst: The eaters of light 4.73m

It's a good example of how cold hard facts like that don't take into account context. Voyage of the Damned, screened as a Christmas special when viewing was still high, it had Kylie Minogue in it and Doctor Who was still new and riding a wave of popularity. That episode was still not the most watched programme of the day (Eastenders 13.9 million).

Eaters of Light, third to last episode of the season, screened in the middle of summer, during a heatwave. 

• 10 months later...

What on earth has happened to this show?

I never thought I'd see it get worse than the "look how clever we are" Smith era, but the new series is (IMO) terrible.

Where's the alien threat?  Where's the (proper) humour?  Where's the dramatic chase scenes, the drama and fantastic soundtracks?  Whittaker shows signs of promise but the overall package feels so stripped back and devoid of... anything.

I've watched a couple and have to agree. The new doctor doesn't seem able to switch from light and kooky to any level of drama or seriousness, which is needed if you are going to care about what the characters are doing.

The result is something that doesn't really hold my attention, or want me to come back for more to find out what happens next. So I haven't, and hadn't given the program a second thought until you posted here.

I'm not so sure, Capaldi had the odd moment of brilliance and episodes like the last two-parter (World Enough and Time) were decent, whereas IMO there's just nothing of any real note going on in Whittaker's so far.

Disagree about the season starts, Rose was a great way to introduce Eccleston and the new companion, and Tennant's first few (New Earth, the werewolf one etc) were all good.

One thing that has been particularly bad with this series in my opinion is the acting. Some lines are delivered so flat that it really brings me out of the lack luster story. 

Most of moffats episodes I rated about 1/10 at a push. I thought the first episode with Jodi was probably around a 6/10 so a vast improvement however it's just gone down hill from there. This week I struggle to rate higher than a 1, I should have watched the lovely train documentary on bbc4.  Also as the episodes have gone on I have started to dislike Jodie's doctor more and more. The only good thing about this series now is Bradley Walsh which was the only thing going in I thought I would dislike.

• 2 weeks later...