Ryan

Doctor Who

stretchy   

I'm Currently watching Season 9 of the original series. About to start 'The Curse of Peladon'. I started re-watching from the original start last year and am enjoying them as much if not more than the newer series's. It seems less... .... ... arrogant.

Coaster   

I'm a fan of the original series but just watching from Eccleston to the end of S4 at the moment - so much more enjoyable than anything from series 6 onwards IMO.

Mark9   
8 hours ago, stretchy said:

I'm Currently watching Season 9 of the original series. About to start 'The Curse of Peladon'. I started re-watching from the original start last year and am enjoying them as much if not more than the newer series's. It seems less... .... ... arrogant.

Love the Curse of Peladon. The Jon Pertwee era is by far my favourite from the classic series. The older series is far more fun to watch to be honest.

ben199   

Present day Doctor Who is really bad, I gave up halfway through the first Matt Smith series despite it being by far my favourite TV show when Christopher Eccleston was the Doctor.

My main issue is it relies too much on main stories that go on for whole seasons, back in the glory days each episode was self contained bar the odd two parter and this made staying in and watching it on a Saturday night such an event. Each episode used to be a different time period too and I used to get so excited to see which bit of history or the future was going to be in next weeks episode but now so much of it is just set in the present day.

Stretchy, I completely agree with your comment about arrogance, there's always been a slight loveable cockiness to the Doctors character but Matt Smith just seemed so up his own arse and I assume Capeldi is the same.

It worked well with badwolf as it was a very minor role in the series and hardly noticeable unless you were looking for it. It made sense for the overall story arc to be there and added a layer of depth to the series. 

The problem with moffats overall stories is that they are the main story and not a subtle thing in the background. Also on many occasions he just rams in scenes that don't need to be there which ruin the episodes. (Into the dalek comes to mind)

Coaster   
5 hours ago, Project LC said:

It worked well with badwolf as it was a very minor role in the series and hardly noticeable unless you were looking for it. It made sense for the overall story arc to be there and added a layer of depth to the series. 

The problem with moffats overall stories is that they are the main story and not a subtle thing in the background. Also on many occasions he just rams in scenes that don't need to be there which ruin the episodes. (Into the dalek comes to mind)

Yeah - things like Bad Wolf and Torchwood (before we knew what it was) worked really well as they were subtle, whereas the underlying stories they write now completely take over the episodes to the point where (IMO) they aren't entertaining to watch.

Cian   

New Doctor's been announced. None other than the great Jodie Whittaker! If you're familiar with her past work, you'd know she's a brilliant actress w/ a great skill-set. Let's hope she does a good job! 

Mark9   

I'm very excited about the change in direction, the series has been coming across a tad stale for a few years now.

Steven Moffat is to blame for it being stale. He ran out of ideas years ago.

The doctors gender I don't think will make any difference to the actual show. I suspect it will just give the viewing figures a bit of a boost so the new show runner has a chance at retaining them.