Disneyland Paris

James6

A worker for DLRP died today whilst doing some work on the Phantom Manor ride (of all places).

Source http://www.looopings.nl/weblog/5229/Medewerker-Disneyland-Paris-dood-aangetroffen-in-spookhuis-Phantom-Manor.html

The ride has remained closed today.

Why is it always the Paris one where we are hearing of these tragic staff deaths?

The wikipedia page for deaths at Disney parks is a grim read.

I was at the park yesterday staying at the Disneyland hotel in a room that was only a stones throw from the phantom manor show building. We wondered what the sirens were at breakfast yesterday and didn't make the connection between them and the ride being closed. Staff were handling the situation really well though, nobody on the park seemed to know what had happened. 

• 1 month later...

I know this is a guy speaking about theme parks who compared to us probably has little idea what is going on, but he raises interesting points that I feel certain members on this forum need to become aware of that it happens outside of merlin parks, and is just industry standard.

If you watch this video from 3:24 onwards he highlights points that people are almost certainly aware of but need confirmation of. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So ED92 has chimed in on a rumour that has been floating about since earlier this year - that Paris' Space Mountain will be getting the Hyperspace Mountain overlay in 2017: http://www.ed92.org/single-post/2016/09/15/ATTRACTION-HYPER-SPACE-MOUNTAIN

Personally I hate the idea, and think it's a shame that the type of ham-fisted market-focussed retheming that the other parks seem to be encountering at the moment is slowly making its way to Paris. Moreover, I would be afraid that, what with Paris' limited finances, the overlay would end up staying much longer, if not permanently, and would nix the chance of restoring the original idea behind the ride to a modern standard next year. This is the sort of thing that I think VR is good for, though.

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, Merry-go-girl said:

I'm going to DLP in May! It's my first time back to the park since summer 1992 so....Do they still have that freaky Snow White ride? 

The Snow White ride still exists I'm happy to admit. For now at least anyway, given the odd concerning rumour I've heard ocassionly.

Pirates will be shut (amongst other rides probably) when you visit, so would advice checking the refurbishment schedules on the park's website nearer the time. 

• 2 months later...

I can't believe I've only just noticed the Space Mountain Mission 2 retheme now!

The fact that they're getting new trains is brilliant, I never found the original ride too bad so this will only make things better and more comfortable.

But here's my issue...

I don't care if people will hate me for the following but I may as well say it. I DO NOT LIKE STAR WARS!

With SMM2, I loved the soundtrack. The soundtrack is an absolute masterpiece and it made the ride that much better. I know I say that theming is greater than force but this ride was the perfect combination of those factors, plus the music is an entirely different story. The retheme is bound to throw away the soundtrack which is just heartbreaking, sad to say I listen to that soundtrack at least once a week I love it that much. 

Continuing my earlier statement, I like the space theme but I don't like Star Wars. I won't like the theme and I'm not a huge fan of their music either. The original SMM2 was a ride I feel in love with because it was an adventure into the unknown, it wasn't something I was expecting whereas with Star Wars I probably won't be surprised (Oh great! I can see the Death Star! Wow!). I was hoping to relive the original experience when I go to DLP in October. Clearly not :angry:

The only good thing out of this for me is the trains, apart from that, this retheme feels like the Guardian's of the Galaxy disaster all over again (I prefer SMM2 to TOT so I'm a bit more devastated). Overall I do not approve.

15875037_10155041354152871_4921492999944

The official concept if you haven't seen it yet. The new trains certainly look an improvement on the old ones (which could be quite uncomfortable at times). 

In fairness as good as Mission 2 was, I hear many consider it inferior to the original (which shut in 2005). 

Whether you you love or loathe Star Wars, it should definitely be an impressive and interesting instalment for the resort. Especially with the Season Of The Force event and upgrade/reopening of Star Tours.

At least it's only a one year overlay as opossed to something like GOTG TOT which we are stuck with for the foreseeable future.

Mission 2 was inferior, though improvements were made (launch sequence mainly), the removal of the queue line windows, original classical style soundtrack and general bits and bobs were some awful decisions for a 'modern' take on a ride set in a Victorian steampunk themed attraction...

I wouldn't be surprised if after this overlay it changes into something in between the two versions...

I never rode the original so I couldn't really contain about mission 2.

One of the reasons I love SMM2 is that it all started when I went to DLP in 2005 (the year of it's sort of  retheme). I remember seeing a tube with steam coming out and people screaming. I had no idea what was going on apart from that I thought people were being steamed to death or something. Of course being 5, I couldn't ride it (seeing it terrified me enough at that age).

After becoming an enthusiast I then found out what actually happened to people then I eventually got to ride it. I was amazed by the experience.

Even though I only rode the mission 2 version, it was enough to make me annoyed about it being changed to something else.

25 minutes ago, 'Airtime Falcon' said:

So are you saying it'll return to it's ordinal SMM2 theme after a year?

As far as I'm aware it should be. Although whether it'll return to the standard mission two again or a different/upgraded version is largely unknown.

I remember watching a documentary on the original a few years ago now and was amazed at how much attention to detail was put into the attraction including the music.

4 minutes ago, Matt Creek said:

I remember watching a documentary on the original a few years ago now and was amazed at how much attention to detail was put into the attraction including the music.

I was literally watching that very documentary this afternoon, I then looked up the ride on RCDB just to refresh myself on the stats where I then found out about the refurb (and then posted a rant here).

After listening to the old soundtrack, I will say I much prefer the mission 2 soundtrack because it tells a better story in my eyes. However, my opinion is biased for obvious reasons.

On board ride soundtracks demand context though, the original was certainly more embedded in the Verne like theme compared to the disco rave (and I say it as someone who likes that music)...

It's the same as those crying over Bubbles dying, even though that happened in 2006, only this is an overlay and there are plenty of improvements that could be made to it anyway... I'm sure most would think the best SM would be a 1.5 mixture of them...

1 hour ago, Mitchada04 said:

Why would they change it from hyperspace? With a new Star Tours and rumours of the speedway closing, Tomorrowland is slowly looking like it'll become a star wars land in some sense. Hyperspace Is loved in California too, I don't see this being any different. 

As far as I'm aware sources seemed to have mentioned the Hyperspace Mountain as an overlay, much like the Californian one. Which were supposed to be temporary.

Given I haven't ridden the Cali version, I can't comment much further here except I am excited and interested to see how they implement the theme into the Paris one.

As for the rumoured Autopia closure, this is the first I've heard. However the rumour of a Star Wars Land incorporating Discovery Land has been around a while especially with the Jedi academy and Star Tours already existing. Then again, where would that place Buzz and Orbiter within the area?

Given that the Tokyo and Hong Kong versions have closed/closing (rumoured with the Magic Kingdoms eventually), it's safe to say the Autopia type rides are on the way out which despite their quirky charm feel rather spacious and outdated, now much like the Skyway attractions were before removal.