Brighton Pier

holtjammy16

Went to the pier just under a week ago now. Unlimited wristband for 15 pound is fantastic value considering we were there for about 4 hours. Must of waited half hour for the booster but deffo worth it as they leave you up the top with fantastic views whilst the other riders get off.

Got stuck on Air Race too for about 10 minutes. The operator said there was something wrong with a sensor which allows the cars to lock in place to allow the bars to rise. Probably due to the fact that the sun was beaming down on the ride!

Went to the Brighton pier for a bit today as I was in Brighton anyway and ended up having a good time. When we got there Air Race, The Booster, Turbo coaster, Crazy mouse, Helter Skelter, Carousel were all closed due to adverse weather conditions. As soon as we walked up to the Booster, they were just about to open it so we thought we might as well buy wristbands which were only £10 because of ride closures. We then got on the Booster for my first time, and it was awesome, I loved the point when you go past the top and then your car thing spins, the feeling was awesome. Looking around at the top while they unload and load people is also nice, shame the cycle is soo short though!  When we were at the top we could see air race testing, so then we went to that. Air race was awesome! The restraints were comfy and on my last ride I counted the inversions, 18! We then went for lunch and some shopping and came back later. 

None of the other closed rides had opened, but I wasn't really bothered, I would of liked to do the wild mouse but that doesn't matter too much. The manager said because of the wind it would just get stuck halfway through the ride. It was funny seeing the Carousel moving on it's own because of the wind!

Air race did have a few problems but it was only due to the weather, they need to be lined up straight before the ride can start or for the restraints to release and the wind was moving them, so a member of staff had to come and stop them swinging or make them straight in order for it too work.

In total we did 3x Air race, 2x Galaxia, 1x The booster, 2x Twister, 4x Wild River, 2x Dodgems, 1x Horror Hotel, 1x Waltzers. Bearing in mind that these rides range from £3 - £5 each, £10 for the whole day is really good value.

I hope that I can get a visit as never been before! I would imagine it would be very busy though. How long are the queues roughly in the peak summer week?

There was no queues yesterday really, except from the booster and the horror hotel. I wouldn't recommend queuing for the horror hotel (it was awful) :P Everything else we just waited for the cycle to finish and we were on the next ride!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Booster has been taken down... is this just a yearly maintenance kind of thing? :)

I just read through the rest of this topic to see if my question would be answered already, but it hasn't been discussed.

What I did notice, however, is a lot of love for that god awful Air Race thing - it's the most boring, repetitive, soulless ride I have ever been on in my life... I may have just had some rubbish cycles, but I honestly cannot imagine how that ride can possibly be made fun? It just goes round and round and round and round and round (recurring) - it's not even a sickly 'round and round'. Just feels like a carousel that just so happens to rotate upside down like it's not even a big deal haha.

Just round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round...

IMG_8111.JPG

• 4 months later...

Popped onto the pier for a bit when down in Brighton yesterday (didn't ride anything though)!

Booster is still down, took some pics and a video of engineers doing stuff, for all you geeks ;) No idea if it normally has this much maintenance so it could be nothing (unless it's rusting away like the Super Booster :P )  

1e768ae69c1b8b86ec4aa04856cffc95.jpg

c2dc1cd3f62a518c83babdabadeb7733.jpg

Popped the video on YouTube as unlisted because videos uploaded straight into forum posts don't seem to play if you're on a smartphone. 

Turbo was repainted in 2013 to a tacky yellow and blue colour. It looks and sounds as rough and awful as ever. Good old Pinfari :rolleyes:

6d57d2c52e7a4dd05a3cf27ba27b717b.jpg

Also they have a new soft play area in the dome part (which actually looks quite fun and made me wish I was a kid again :lol: ) and a new spinny kiddie drop tower thing called i220.

679d98e5e7741f44acc24ca4733a096f.jpg

14904fb71092cc3c29ac0ba6e2b4d723.jpg

(Can't help but feel that Timber Tug Boat would've fitted in better on this pier than Thorpe...)

Probably would've tried out Air Race if I wasn't stuffed after a lovely three-course Italian :lol: Looks like you get some awesome hang time!

Oh and the pier is technically now Brighton Palace Pier, as was revealed last July :P
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/14592161.Victory_as_new_owners_agree_to_put_back____Palace____to_pier_name/
Quite a detailed article which mentions the new owner and changes they want to make to the pier whilst keeping the tradition and heritage!
I remember it being called Palace Pier, I think it's nice they're referring back to its original name :)

Looks like the sign should be changing this year!

I was on the peir a couple of weeks back, was mighty hungover so not up for riding much, just did the ghostrain. It is dire.

They wanted £20 for a wristband, with half the rides closed for maintenance. An optimistic price which it seemed no one had taken them up on.

Did think it all looked clean and fresh compared to my previous visits, seems the new owners are doing good things.