Monkey Swinger

Well to be honest mark- even if I didnt work on it I would still like the themeing as I think the themeing for Wild Asia is one of the best in the park.

Is it really though? It's simply a repainted version of Beanoland with poor concrete pre fab slabs with a few monkeys spray painted on, it's a slightly 'premium' version of a Tussauds screw up, ala Bubbleworks and Vampire.The only original bit is the talking Elephant but it's of course, ruined by guests shouting and swearing at it.

[sarcasm] Oh, yeah, in fact the whole of Chessington is nothing but a small, trashy park that does so badly in terms of visitor numbers, apart from all the people who go there who probably hate it anyway. Other than the great theming, which for some random reason that I am going to make up is rubbish anyway, there is nothing there. The only reason it got famous was because of what John Wardley did to it but even he is awful. [/sarcasm]Weird attitue, don't you think? How can you describe the theming as 'poor concrete pre fab slabs' when it does not look poor at all and it was all scupltured especially for the park by an architectural company? And what did you want it to be made of other than concrete? :) You purpousfuly ignored all the other features in the area, too. Remember the music, tuk tuks, photo points, bird enclosure, statues, plants, fixed/refurbished effects? Oh and those big snakes, remember them? Really sorry if I come across argumentative, but in the big picture Wild Asia is so much more.Monkey Swinger I think had a lot of potential for its own ride, but ended up being just another part of Wild Asia. Not that that is a bad thing, it was how Beanloand worked after all. However I was expecting something bigger to happen because the potential for a chairswing themed as swinging monkeys is endless. The concept art showed tails attached to the back of the chairs, but I kind of half expected that not to happen. I was thinking more of theming in the queueline relating to the monkey idea but this did not happen either. In fact, is there any reference to monkeys? I don't remember seeing the "Do not feed the monkeys" sign.Also, I think it has lost its flare. Billy's Whizzer was a fantastic ride because it was so simply and cheeky at the same time. A low thrilling chairswing, but with water added it fitted Beanoland and the rest of Chessington perfectly. I also loved watching the cartoon storyboards rotating on the central column. Now that it has the Wild Asia theme, it is not quite as funny and the water seems too random. It is still a good, fun ride, however.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, I think it has lost its flare. Billy's Whizzer was a fantastic ride because it was so simply and cheeky at the same time. A low thrilling chairswing, but with water added it fitted Beanoland and the rest of Chessington perfectly. I also loved watching the cartoon storyboards rotating on the central column. Now that it has the Wild Asia theme, it is not quite as funny and the water seems too random. It is still a good, fun ride, however.

That was my original point about the whole retheme, maybe put over in a bit of a better way.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Went on this ride, it was awesome I loved it. I went to Chessington 3 times before and I never went on it because I was scared of how high the swings go. But its a enjoyable, fun, funny ride and kind of relaxing going high and getting some air. I wanted to go on it again but there was no time. :blink:I think they should have kept the Billy's Whizzer theme though because the painting looks a bit old, dull and before it was very colourful. So thats only negative thing I would point out, other then that everything is fine, queue is not that long either and there is alot of seats.

• 3 years later...

One thing I have noticed is that they hardly ever use the water jets on Monkey Swinger anymore :(

It's because they are nearly always broken. I have asked for a wet ride many times and only half the times the water has worked. After we have got off on a dry ride, the op has always informed me that he tried to use the water but it did not work. However, I have once had a ride where they had both of the working fountains on(I think there used to be 5ish but now only 2 in use!?) and we got drenched!

Never been on this one, but the kids love it and there is never a queue for it either which is a big bonus. I also get the kids on the Monkey Swinger then fill up the drinks bottles as with Chessington after you queue for ages to be served they tell you the machine is out of order as they don't know how to change the gas or the post mix and I end up having to go to the Noodle bar.

• 4 weeks later...

That may well be true, but when the majority of their customers visit over the summer holidays and are expected to wait hours for rides, the least the parks can do is get things fixed. I understand they have to priortise their work, but why not increase the number of maintenance engineers or get contractors in during the busy times?

At the end of the day the water adds to guest experience and the guests are paying a lot of money so expect the good experience.

Maintenance budgets aren't unlimited - we know this looking throughout entire of Chessington.

Chances are, if it was like it was 4yrs ago, it'll be down to one guy maintaining the entire water systems at the park. So he needs to do daily checks on those first then fixing effects come as a last resort.

According to my response from Chessington at an earlier complaint and mention of Monkey Swinger's water not working thrown in for good measure they said that there wasn't a problem with it, just that it must have been switched off. Not so sure I believe Chessie there as it seems most people who visited throughout summer didn't ride it with water.