Fright Nights

BiHazz-ord

Just to clear up the Scare Actor requirements- you have to be 18 or over, have either a qualification in performing arts, have previous experience working in a Scare Attraction or have some kind of contacts that help you along the way. All three generally helps. You're then invited to an audition where you have to demonastrate the ability to portray a character/ ability to act, or depending on how the panel are feeling, you'll have to demonstrate how you would frighten the thousands of guests in the attractions. There is moer than one type of scare, you can go for the startle scares, the high energy impact style, or you can have that very creepy, space invading type of scare, all are just as efefctive depending on the person.

My friend who got an audition this year at Alton towers had an A-Level grade B in drama and that was it. Unfortunately she didn't make it simply because they only had a very small amount of vacancies of someone with her height, build and hair colour, (tall slim and...ginger haha) which are all things they look for. At Alton Towers, they said she could pick from The Mentalist, The Victim or The Posessed, and they had to scare a woman who was sat down on a chair in the middle of the room. If the person was scared they'd put their hand up. From what she was told by previously returning actors, is that scare quality isn't necessarily the main thing they're looking for because that's something they can be taught and pick up on. For example in the Boiler house, they were looking for middle-aged slightly overweight people to save on extra make up and costume. It's all very quick and dirty, just like any audition would be. If you're not just what they're looking for, they won't have you, regardless of how well you manage to scare people. All actors are usually on par, so if they had the choice between buying a blond wig or hiring someone who already has blond hair, they'd go for the blond girl. Getting an audition shouldn't be that hard though really, as long as you have some kind of interest in Drama. Yes the auditions are harsh like a west end play, but no, they're not looking for the next Ian Mckellen and these days qualifications mean less and less.

• 5 months later...

*Blows away dust*

I know Fright Nights is still over half a year away but I couldn't help getting worked up over it for some reason. Anyway, I found this on the FN section of Thorpes website.

Posted Image

It has been updated since last year, so unless they are talking about The Swarm, could there be yet another Fright Nights maze on the cards for this year?

Last year, I heard it's possible for the Hellgate location to be used in the future (once any issues with it had be sorted out), so I guess that's always a possibility.

Also depends on if Thorpe install a new attraction, and where they do it. For example, if the larger side of the beach has to make way for new development, Se7en may make way.

To be honest, I'd hope either for a completely new attraction (maze or scare zone, being a lover of Dead End) or a replacement of The Curse. However, I fear Se7en, being older and seen as nothing special, may make way one way or another, which would be a shame, as I love Se7en!

I love Se7en!

Same! The first room always gets me for some reason...

I doubt Se7en would be able to be relocated anywhere though. There is no area on park big enough to accommodate its massive footprint other than the arena (already taken) and where it is on the beach right now. If that end of the park was needed for 2013 development, Se7en would have to go because it very much relies on the rooms and the corridors of X:NWO would not be able to house those (unless the interior has been changed around quite a bit?). Having said that, I doubt the pool would be closed off because The Swarm and Depth Charge are behind it and there is no way their new attraction would be out of action at the busiest time of the year. I place my bets on either a new attraction in the place of Hellgate or The Curse going to be replaced by something else.

It would be interesting to see what any Swarm related maze would involve. Its not likely we'll see people dressed up in alien costumes terrorizing guests. Also do you think it'd be viable to do a scarezone past depth charge onto to THE SWARM island? Of course that would mean it'd be the only way through which I guess wouldn't be allowed.

I hope they try something interesting again this year like they did with Experiment 10.

I think Se7en will probably leave this year too. Its falling apart, quite literally, we got evacuated last year because a piece of wood with a nail in it fell off the roof in the room in front. They could probably quite easily take a few set pieces out and create a new maze using them though I reckon. The asylum probably wont change for a few years yet, and the curse is in a pretty good condition to be honest. As for Ex10, its a given it will return I'm sure.

Well, if they have the scare zone as the path behind depth charge, you have a large area that doesn't block access to the swarm or flying fish, and already has the fire truck for theming.

They could go for the whole military thing with spotlights and army trucks. Soldiers shouting and the wounded trying to grab you?

I think that would work very well. Being tormented by a load of injured civilians and crazy people, and shouted at by the military, lots of flashing lights and devastation before walking into an area with a crashed aircraft and a Church with its roof ripped off. Aliens soaring over head and smoke/fire alongside The Swarm sound. I could see it working very well indeed actually. Something I would love to see, but I doubt it would deliver much in the way of scares. At the most, it would probably be on par with the Zombie scarezone at Alton and seeing its a new attraction, next to a new attraction at the busiest time of the year, traffic would most likely be a nightmare too. I think either Se7en or The Curse should go and be replaced with a solid maze without any gimmicks. We have E10 for this unique experience, and Asylum for hardcore thrills so a maze with a great atmosphere and scares that exceed the likes of The Curse/Se7en would be great IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

Personally this is what I would like to see for fright nights 2012:

- Asylum kept the same except for some new anamatronics added into the massive strobe area. Also it would be nice if at one point in the strobe area they put a "tunnel" on it to block out the strobes for a short section of the maze and add a new scene.

- Se7en changed slightly to make it scarier.

- Curse replaced with a new horror maze. (Traditional haunted house theme with great atmospheres.)

- Experiment 10 kept as it is but revert back to shutting people in a room on their own like at the start of Fright nights 2011.

- Hellgate's old site to be replaced with a tamer maze than any of the others. It should be advertised as a "less scary horror maze for the faint hearted" or something along those lines.

- New maze on The Swarm island. (The space where they currently have the extra fencing (usually used for FN.) It could have special effects to simulate being attacked by an alien before you have to walk past all the people who have already been attacked.

(I know it's ages until Fright nights, but these are just some ideas.)

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I know its early but I am SOOOO excited for Fright Night this year!! Was my first last year and I'm addicted! I wore proper scarey make up and had zombie contacts the lot! The only let down was the crappy rain last year! Hoping it won't rain this year as my make up washed away ha ha ha (scarey in itself) and swarm in the rain hurt!

• 1 year later...

Since this is more a general FN topic rather than related to any specific year, makes sense to post this here...

http://www.scareattractions.co.uk/thorpe-park-se7en-exclusive-pics/ - Some pictures from inside Se7en in it's first or second year.  Shows a good amount of detail in there; some that I'd missed as well despite doing the maze several times!

Since this is more a general FN topic rather than related to any specific year, makes sense to post this here...

http://www.scareattractions.co.uk/thorpe-park-se7en-exclusive-pics/ - Some pictures from inside Se7en in it's first or second year.  Shows a good amount of detail in there; some that I'd missed as well despite doing the maze several times!

I remember coming across them a while ago, it's interesting to see what they look like with the lights on (usually better than with the show lighting).

There are also Hellgate pictures: http://www.scareattractions.co.uk/thorpe-park-hellgate-exclusive-pics/

Is it just me or do the new IP mazes lack such consistent theming as this?? I mean, every room is so intricately detailed, now it seems the only remaining maze to this standard is SAW. Cabin and MBV had their moments of theming brilliance but seemed to be lacklustre in places with scarcely themed hallways and rooms that looked rushed at random intervals. Hopefully this is something they can improve on, but again it's just my own personal opinion =P

^It really is a shame Purge isn't a Lionsgate film, as they could make for brilliant roaming characters.

Is it just me or do the new IP mazes lack such consistent theming as this?? I mean, every room is so intricately detailed, now it seems the only remaining maze to this standard is SAW. Cabin and MBV had their moments of theming brilliance but seemed to be lacklustre in places with scarcely themed hallways and rooms that looked rushed at random intervals. Hopefully this is something they can improve on, but again it's just my own personal opinion =P

I found that, bar one or two corridors, Cabin was brilliantly themed - much more so than the likes of Hellgate or The Passing.  MBV was really good as well, except for the ending.  Both of them did have a mish-mash with the themes though.  Cabin makes more sense, as it each was meant to represent a different monster / scenario (at least, that's how I took it to be :P ).  But MBV was very weird - from hospital, to mines, to forest, to a random room, it didn't have a consistent story line.  

Personally, I think that they're just as well themed as Se7en and Curse were (with some of their biggest flaws being blank corridors between scenes), but the older mazes did have a more consistent story going on.  Kinda ironic really, given that with IPs, there's a ready made story for them to work with!