Education (Exam Results)

Paul

Technology can be a really useful learning aid, let's not forget that.  I don't think there's a need for students to have iPads in lessons though - in a lesson, you should be reading, writing and listening; all those things can be done with no technology whatsoever.

I was always amused by people's reactions when I told them that my lectures were delivered by 'chalk and talk'; anyone not doing my subject seemed to be mystified by the idea, seeing it as old fashioned, since all their lectures were done by slideshows and other pieces of tech.  Just seemed needless to me though.

Anyways, rambling thought to be summed up by this:  like with anything in life nowadays, there's a place for technology and all that, but only when it's used correctly..

Statistics from my old secondary school showed that after they introduced ipads while more people started getting 5 A*-C including English and maths number of high grades declined significantly. iPads help the low ability students as they remove issues they have from other subjects so they can improve. For example they dont have to worry about spelling or maths in science. However for the higher ability students they get board and unlike before when they would do work they have a games console in their hands...

iPads are gaming and browsing devices. They are not educational tools.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I found out today that I got 3 As at AS in maths, further maths and DT!

Physics on the other hand is a reformed subject, so we did an internal exam which I did I no revision for (as I was revising for actual ASs) so I ended up with a C. But that was just an internal and I plan to drop DT so when it comes to the real physics a level, I'll have more time to revise for it.

• 11 months later...

Pissed cos I got 2 8s, 3 7s and the rest 6s. Mostly really upset about my English because I expected at least 8s in both and I got a 7 and a 6, the same that I got in science, which is a subject I despise with a passion. 

All of my English teachers have said that they are confused and I’m having my paper remarked for there’s something clearly wrong. 

17 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Pissed cos I got 2 8s, 3 7s and the rest 6s. Mostly really upset about my English because I expected at least 8s in both and I got a 7 and a 6, the same that I got in science, which is a subject I despise with a passion. 

All of my English teachers have said that they are confused and I’m having my paper remarked for there’s something clearly wrong. 

Sometimes people don’t do as well as they hoped, but good results anyway! GCSEs mean nothing in the long run! No point getting down about it!