Education (Exam Results)

Paul

• 2 months later...

My sister got her A Level results today and she got an E/pass in her Business B-tech which she hated but just managed to pass, two Cs in pschyology and sociology and a B in her AS English Lit which is enough to get her into Uni! I'm so proud of her :') even though it wasn't my results I was still so nervous this morning!I get my GCSE results on Tuesday and I am pretty nervous to be honest. :/ I just want to get them over with and start A Levels, which sounds insane!

Good luck Gemma. :PBy the way, anyone know why GCSE result day has been moved to Tuesday? :D

I do believe it was agreed by the main awarding bodies of England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland so that all GCSE students in the UK receive their results on the same day. Not sure why Tuesday though :D

I got the confirmation of my results and my confirmation of my place at uni. I got 'Triple Distinction' / DDD which is equivalant to 3 A Levels at A grade (360 ucas points) and a KS3 Communication which is equivalant to an AS in English.

Well done!! I need 360 UCAS points to get into the course & Uni of my choice with at least BBB in A levels. One being biology and 1 in another science (I'm doing Psychology). Man I'm gonna have to work my arse off.

ABDE?!?!?!?! I'm sorry but you've got yourself 160 points there. I've only got 90 after 2 years. Count yourself lucky girl.

I will say this once..I understand that you'd be extastic with those results, and there are many who would. However, if people don't get what they wanted / needed / were predicted, then they'd be disappointed. ;)

I get what you mean, many people laugh at me when I say I would be disappointed if I got any B's at GCSE, but it's my personal target, based on the predictions that I've had in the past / mock results etc. There are some people in my school with such high personal targets that they would be disappointed if they didn't get a full set of A*'s. Again, it's down to personal aims. There are others that would settle for a full set of F's. It's all down to each individual.

I think if people are disappointed that they didn't get all A*s, then they really need a reality check and should be bloody, damn grateful they got any A*s at all. It shows how easy GCSEs have become. In my days and my sister's day (28 yrs), they were a lot harder. And it also depends on the quality of teaching too.The pass mark for A* Levels this year for A*-E has risen to 97.4% and 27.5% of all A* Level students have been awarded the A* grade. The government have said that GCSEs and A* Levels have been getting easier and this has been in the BBC news recently and the exact same thing was said last year.The students taking their GCSEs this year will say how its so hard but it's not as hard as it used to be. A close-family friend who has been teaching at the Ursuline for more than 15-years, said that GCSEs have become easier than they used to be. And she sees the statistics and all the teachers discuss the trend in their spreadsheets and whatnot. I mean who are we to argue with the government and say "No", GCSEs haven't become easier??

I'm sorry, but that has annoyed me. In the same way that all 'GCSEs are easier' claims do.Firstly, I'd be lying if I said I won't be disappointed when I don't get all A*s. That was what I was predicted until January. And I will be disappointed if I get a B in any subject bar French. That was what I've been predicted and that's what I honestly think I can achieve.As for GCSEs getting easier. I don't know if they are and, in my eyes, there's no way of judging. Pass rates are affected by a whole lot of things; teaching quality, the students themselves, etc. But there's one thing I know for certain. GCSEs aren't easy. They are difficult and anyone who disagrees is just stupid in my honest opinion. This year's exams were hard and, in my view, every exam I took this year (except one) was just as harder - some harder - than previous exams.What infruiates me the most about the News reports about exams getting easier is they come when results are out. How does it make those who didn't do as well as expected feel? Being told that these exams are easier and then doing poorly must be horrendous. Whether exams are easier or not, they ARE still difficult.Will, please don't feel I'm having a go at you, I'm not. But this is somethong I feel very strongly about, and I'm just sharing my views about what everyone who has a similar view to yours. ;)

Hey Josh, it's OK.My sister whose 28 told me that I should be proud to have go the grades I got. I agree that there are variables that affect the results of any student's GCSE grades such as:Student's input throughout yearQuality of teachingFinal input on day of examInput revisingDistractions in the class was a huge factor for meAround 2005, I got:B in FrenchC in EnglishC in MathsC in Double ScienceD in English LiteratureE in Religious EducationE in ICTF in HistoryI know that I should have done much better. When I was 14/15 doing GCSEs (year 10 and year 11), I never knew I was Autistic or had ADHD but I always wondered why I could never concentrate. Not knowing that I like other Aspie's are often highly-intelligent, I thought I was thick, dumb and stupid; I even believe that I was a spastic (which is what other people said) because I was behind and wished I was like everyone else..capable.I was then put into the lowest classes with all the bad kids in my year, where it was like pulling nails to even get through one 50 minute class and as I left the classroom, I would feel exhausted, dissatisfied and depressed.I didn't get the support I needed in my GCSEs or in my A* Levels. Only since 2008 when I started my 2nd BTEC (In Business) did I start to make huge amounts of progress. I think it was because I was ready and it was the right time. I wish I had got the support I needed when I was in middle-school or even in primary school; for if I did, the end results would have been a lot better.I think if you did any better than me, you're perfectly fine. I am now doing fine and I'm on my way to University. Don't be so hard on yourself =D