Education (Exam Results)

Paul

Wow. People on this forum REALLY do need to learn the definition of OPINION.I disagree with Will's OPINION. He is basing his OPINION on statistics, facts, he has seen. However, in my OPINION, these facts don't support Will's OPINION. Regardless, he is still ALLOWED his own OPINION.And Matthew, I too disagree with your OPINION regarding the C3 exam (if this is AQA syllabus you're referring to). I found the C3 exam straighforward, even if iy was slightly harder than previous exams. I PERSONALLY found B3 much harder, but I know others disagree with me there. You cannot use your OPINION as a FACT.Matthew, don't go down to personally insulting and attacking people on their OPINION, especially on one that you've misread, it is wrong. I understand this is something you feel strongly about - so do I - and by all means put your point across, but don't insult people while you're at it. I did it a couple of pages back no problem, why can't you?

It might be Will's opinion, but when his earlier posts (as quoted by Matthew) state that the exams are getting easier directly oppose his current "Oh they're not actually getting easier" reaction then something's up...There's no need for pointless circular arguements about exams since everyone learns differently and at different paces... I'm crap at exams, hence why I ended up doing a BTEC... But in the end, it felt like the BTEC was a better move since at college it's so much more similar to university and I was actually learning specific stuff to the course I wanted that people weren't learning at A-Level... The proof being that in certain lectures many people were looking rather blankly when some topics were mentioned...In all honesty, you're both being childish... Go sit on the naughty step...

I would like to apologise to anyone offended and also congratulate them on their successes. I don't think GCSEs are easy but rephrasing, I don't think they are hard as they used to be. It's not hard to imagine that in the 6 years since I took mine and the 13 years since my Sis took her GCSEs, that they have become easier. They are still hard but just not as much as they used to be.And the grades that someone gets is a reflection of the input during the year, the results of coursework and how well someone performs on the day and how strict the exams are marked. It might be the case that GCSEs have gotten slightly easier (which is very possible) but AQA and Edexcel are more generous with their marking; which is very common.I have ADHD and Autism and I was in the lowest class in my year; not because I'm stupid but because I have SEN's and they never realise I was smart and capable but just had learning difficulties. I never knew how to write essays until I was 17 and was properly taught how to. You're right Matthew, there are good teachers everywhere, but there are not-so-good teachers everywhere but either way, to succeed in teaching the class, the teacher needs to be able to control the class.I failed by AS (1st yr) after realising they weren't for me and did a BTEC in Multimedia and another one in Business. I re-took my English and did well on coursework on the exam and came out, learnt how to write exams, evaluations, summaries and analyses; which I am proud of myself. I learn at my pace and I feel that BTEC was for me and A Levels aren't for everyone. I have seem some of these facts myself via TV and what is published but via the reports, this family friend has. I would show them to you if I could but I can't.If anything, I am a little envious of you. I wish I was doing my GCSEs this year and I sincerly hope that you do well on your A Levels.I'm going to leave it at thatxoxo

^Agreed.Everyone is allowed their own opinion but there's no need to get so nasty. Grow up or don't post on here.Anyway...I hate it when people are all like "Oh I did ok I guess" then they tell you they got 4 As, an A* and the rest are Bs! Erm, actually they're pretty excellent results! My brother pointed out that they might be saying it because they were capable of getting higher grades so they're disappointed they didn't, but on a CV etc, no one thinks that far into it. You compare those results with mine (5Bs, 5Cs) and it looks far better.However, I'm gonna contradict myself and say, even though my results were good, the BB in Science should have been AA, my C in IT should have been a B, maybe even an A, the B in Media Studies should have been an A. If my "problems" had been diagnosed at that point then I would have been given support, given extra time on exams, possibly been on medication...things definitely could have been a lot different, and possibly better.But at the same time, because I had those difficulties, I couldn't cope with college, left early, worked at Thorpe, made some great friends, had some bloody great times, moved to Chessie, left, couldn't get back to Thorpe, so did voluntary work for Cats Protection where I found out about Plumpton College, applied, at the same time got a perfect job at a cattery...and now I'm about to do what I've always wanted to do and something I am naturally good at and enjoy a lot, and hopefully this will lead to a successful career working with animals! :lol: Plus I now know why my brain is screwed up :lol: So college should be better this time round, and I'm doing something I'm passionate about :lol:K I'll be quiet now :(

I hate it when people are all like "Oh I did ok I guess" then they tell you they got 4 As, an A* and the rest are Bs! Erm, actually they're pretty excellent results! My brother pointed out that they might be saying it because they were capable of getting higher grades so they're disappointed they didn't, but on a CV etc, no one thinks that far into it. You compare those results with mine (5Bs, 5Cs) and it looks far better.

I know you did 'contradict' yourself and you can understand the other side, but seeinghow I probably was one of those people, I'll just explain how I felt.When people asked me how I did, I have no idea what to say. My grades were great, yes, but not what I was predicted and not what I expected. I ended up saying they were 'good' at first, and then just resorted to saying 'Not what I wanted' before I actually said what I got. The thing is, with a fair few of my results, I got lower than I had previously gotten. Physics. I was on target for an A* and was perfectly prepared for the final exam. Final exam comes, it was easy. I get one mark higher than a D; final grade, an A. English Literature. 2 marks off full marks for coursework. Going amazing in all the practice exams. Exam comes, felt it was straightforward. Get an A overall. French. I knew this was going to be bad, probably my worst, but I was aiming for a B. In 3 Modules, I get a B. Final Module, I get a low C. Overall grade: C. DiDA. Totally controversial; some units marked down my 3 Grades. My teacher was certain I'd get A* or A. I get a B. Everyone in the school got taken down. Pure shock. History. Getting As in practice exam. Final exam; get a B. Now, I'm usually fine when it comes to exams and never get the 'Blank Mind' or anything. So what on earth happened I do not know. But after I was expecting so much more, and after I do (for me) badly in the final exams, all I can feel is that I did 'okay'. Yes, I did brilliantly before the exam (and still got a great overall mark), but the fact that I 'flopped' at the end is just upsetting and frustrating. Yes, maybe in the long run it won't matter, but it's just that short term gutted feeling that you have. (I do not know if everyone who goes on about having bad grades when they got great ones is like this, just my personal experience).In the end, I know I got great grades, and it is that bitter sweet feeling that makes me feel worse - especially when I think all I've done is 'okay'.

I'm sorry but Josh really? I was expected to get all C's in my exams I got 1 B, 5 C's, 3 D's and 1 E how do you think I feel? So what if you got 2 marks off full marks think of the people who worked their arse's off and got waaay lower than they expected. I can't stand people who are like oh I only got x amount of A's well well bloody done to you. I worked my arse off and got those grades. I've now done 2 YEARS of AS's and I'm still not moving onto Uni. Be pleased with what you got cause your gonna get further than I am atm.

Yet again, I appear to have not gotten my point across. :lol:To quote myself, "I know I got great grades.". I also know I should be ectastic with the results - most people would. The thing is, IN MY EYES, when it came to the last exam, I didn't do well enough and stopped me getting the grades I wanted and what I felt I deserved. That it what I am disappointed over. As said, for Physics, I got one mark higher than a D in the final exam, FOR ME, that is just, well, undescribable. And what makes me feel worse is that I think my grades are bitter sweet.I too worked my arse off, and had family issues floating around at time of exams. I'm sorry that when I don't do as well as I was expected, or personally wanted, I'm just a little disappointed and upset...

To be honest I am annoyed with my results as well as I was expected to get a whole lot of A*s and put the work in for it and I didn't. Yes, I am aware that I may have done extremely well in comparison to the rest of the country but not in terms of my goals or the school I attended. Oh well, my sister doesn't even put GCSE results on her CV anymore so it was just another hoop of life to jump through.

See Daniel has the right approach he said that he put the effort in whereas you Josh did not. It wasn't a you didn't get your point across it's a the way you said made you sound obnoxious and tbh idiotic so well done for making assumptions. You only corrected yourself on your second post so the ''Yet again, I appear to have not gotten my point across'' was unnecessary.

See Daniel has the right approach he said that he put the effort in whereas you Josh did not. It wasn't a you didn't get your point across it's a the way you said made you sound obnoxious and tbh idiotic so well done for making assumptions. You only corrected yourself on your second post so the ''Yet again, I appear to have not gotten my point across'' was unnecessary.

The amount of times I have posted in Rant and Schools and Studies (and other topics) about exams and school, which showed how much pride and effort I take in my school work, I feel it was right to assume that people would know I put effort in my exams. Knowing where I was coming from, I don't see the post I made as obnoxious or idiotic; I see it as perfectly fair and reasonable. I also see my first comment of that post as fair, as it has been a recurring theme..

My opinion of you Josh is that you are someone who puts themself under a lot of pressure or has very-high expectations. Those teacher's predicted grades are just rough estimates of what they think you'll get, but it doesn't mean you fail if you haven't achieved those grades. They could have given you a very-high predicted grade, when they might have given you too high a prediction.I understand that the predicted grade is a prediction made up of your performance over the year, but nerves does play a huge part and the fact that time management does too. When I did my Science GCSE, I knew what to expect. I always did well on my GCSE Science modules apart from Biology. I was put in for the higher science paper, but I found it hard.Like Michaela, I would have faired better if both of us knew we had this SENs and had the support from our teachers. I'm only 21 and I've my whole life ahead of me and I'm doing very-well so far...but I already have some regrets.Don't feel put-down by your grades because I'd happily take your grades anyday and you should feel ecstatic. Just put in the same amount of effort as you did; which is a huge amount of effort or maybe a little bit more and you should be OK. Then again, A* Levels aren't for everybody; it depends on what you want to do.

• 1 month later...

Well done Tommy ;). Adding to the conversation about people complaining about A's...In my photography GCSE, I have been predicted an A* the whole way through... We get marked on each unit we do, and we recently did a three month unit of which we could chose the subject. I chose 'Theme Parks & Tourist Attractions'.I worked my but off seriously... I spent so much time in the summer holidays doing it, countless hours writing up my pictures and cutting out card and making sure it was the best it could be. I was really hoping for an A* and I was heartbroken when I was told I had an A. Yes, as my teacher said 'some people would give their arm for an A grade'. He said this when my friend told him how upset I was.... He had earlier told me that I was lucky to get an A as my work was really B standard and not very good.I was pretty devastated, not due to the grade at all, because I know it's a good grade and I'm proud.. but the amount of time & effort I put in compared to others who spent 10 minutes the night before and wrote one sentence instead of the whole page I did, I actually find it quite offensive that they got a high A* and I only got an A/ basically a B. It makes me feel like I really shouldn't bother if I don't get the grade that I wanted. However, I do see how you feel, Holly, because in pretty much all of my other subjects I'm predicted B's & C's. Didn't do particularly well in my modules... bar biology & business studies.Bio - A*Business - AChemistry - DPhysics - EMaths A - DMaths B - A I am pretty pleased with most of those results, but disappointed, as I think that I could have done better.However, I do hate hate HATE, when people are like 'Omg one mark off an A* argh so annoyed arghhhhh'. Especially when they are trying to rub it in because they know that you would have gotten a lower mark... (not aimed at you at all Josh.;))Sorry for the essay! :(

• 3 weeks later...

Doing my final GSCE's this year and have only done some modules in maths and sections in: Physics, Chemistry and Biology.I have take 2 higher modules in maths so far and have got 100% in both meaning I'm definitely predicted an A*1st Chemistry: A*2nd: A1st Biology: A2nd: B1st Physics: A*2nd: CI want to end up as either a roller coaster and halloween attraction designer (It's a little far fetched but I'm VERY determined). If that fails, I want to be an accountant of maths teacher (either Secondary school or an university lecturer).

• 2 months later...

Much like Mr Jack D there I'm going to chip in and make people happy, I just dropped out of college after obtaining an E, D and C over 2 years at AS level. Was doing 2 AS's and 2 A2's and due to illness got kicked out of one of the A2's. Fine illness persists so I say screw it their kicking me out soon anyway and I'm going back to do an Access course so thats a grand total of 4 years at college. Imagine my face when people talk about their Uni. One of my mates will be finishing his course by the time I leave college.

• 2 years later...

Was surprised there was no topic on Education as so many people on here are currently going through the system. So found this old topic named Exam Results and amended it to be a bit more broad ;)

Anyhowz - This bank holiday, I have been grinding through one of my courses in the bookkeeping world and since Saturday have completed 5 out of the 6 assignments for the course. 3 of the assignments I got the results back today and 3 of them were marked A's :) and 2 of those were 100% :D. So I submitted 2 more assignments this evening. So at the moment am proper chuffed ^_^

Now this course should take around 6 months, but with it being a home learning college - I am very hit and miss in how much I do at a time. I go for 2-3 months without doing nothing and then literally spend a week or 2, grinding through it to catch up which I generally do when 'I'm in the mood for it.' I know in the past when I force myself to do little bit by bit over the weeks I lose motivation so generally catch myself when 'I'm in the zone.'

One advantage with this course is that as I do it as a day job anyway - I think that's why I've been able to breeze through these assignments. (Cheat - I hear you say - well it gets me my student discount :P ) plus I'm doing an apprenticeship on the side in Team Leadership so I'd rather pick and choose what I'm doing - working full time. So fingers crossed on those last 2 assignments and then I can start on the mock exams to take my exams to be one step closer to getting letters after my name :o

Plus I know a few of you are going through the exams at the moment so thought it would be good to dig this out the grave!

There was a 'School and Studies' topic before, but that seems to have disappeared.. :P

So, end of first year of uni approaches, which of course means EXAMS. At the moment, I've got multiple choice tests on Fridays for a module I just picked up, and then my 10 proper exams start 25th May, and finish 14th June (finish a lot later than most of my friends too! :( ). Feeling good enough about most of my exams (except one), so it'll be interesting and 'fun' to see how they go!