Education (Exam Results)

Paul

Best luck with it jack, hope it goes well.

I have now finished my college course (L3 music Practice) which I have achieved a grade of triple distinction star (D*D*D*) which is equivalent to three A stars. Apparently I'm only the third person ever on my course to have achieved it. I feel over the moon about my results.

Meanwhile, the rest of my class apparently are badly behind work (perhaps more so than the smiler) which is a shame for them.

• 1 month later...

Well today in my AS I got:

Travel & Tourism - C

ICT - D

Business Studies - E

Economics - U.

Bear in mind I only got mostly C's & a few B's at GCSE.

I'm into A2 but that also means I am being forced to do ICT again which I hate... Love Travel and don't mind Business.

Would have loved to have done Economics as at A2 you do Transport Economics, which I had already started and was doing quite well in (I am a total transport nerd and loved it) but because I couldn't do the general economy units at AS well, I now can't do Transport economics! damn!

But if I get 200 UCAS points by the end of this, and I can get into Uni to study Travel & Tourism and I am finished with it after 4 years by 2018... Crossrail opens late 2018 and hundreds to thousands of TfL jobs & graduate places become available in late 2018 when I would be finished with Uni. 2019 and it would be not so easy to get something in that sector of work which I have a lot of passion for. That's all that matters to me really! :) Got another meeting tomorrow with my tutor to confirm how I want to go forward with next year. :wacko:

Glad to see people doing well! And don't forget, if the worse has happened, there are always ways to get through it.

But if I get 200 UCAS points by the end of this, and I can get into Uni to study Travel & Tourism and I am finished with it after 4 years by 2018... Crossrail opens late 2018 and hundreds to thousands of TfL jobs & graduate places become available in late 2018 when I would be finished with Uni. 2019 and it would be not so easy to get something in that sector of work which I have a lot of passion for. That's all that matters to me really! :) Got another meeting tomorrow with my tutor to confirm how I want to go forward with next year. :wacko:

Are you doing / going to do an EPQ Luke? Whilst, admittedly, most people I knew who did one found it to be a bit of drag (because we had to do it over our Summer Holiday), it's a great way to boost your UCAS points, and also appeals to unis when applying. Just an idea! :)

I'm glad to see that there hasn't been any nonsense in the media about exams getting easier this year (at least, I haven't seen any). It's always a kick in the teeth, regardless of the results you get, to see rubbish like that being spouted about. Hopefully we'll be seeing a lot less of that in years to come too.

One final thing I want to say, which probably belongs in the Rant thread but oh wells, is a friend of mine got his results today. His first choice was Warwick to do Maths - the same course and university as me. He got higher grades than me, in the best suited subjects as well, and more than deserves a place at Warwick (at least as much as I do...probably more tbh) and got rejected as he just missed out on his offer by a few percent. Last year, I missed my offer by a grade and a bit, and got accepted. I feel really gutted for him, as had he been in my year, he would have been accepted. I don't want to say it's 'unfair', as theoretically, they don't have to take in anyone who misses their offer, but I just feel it's a shame that things like this happen. Just can't help but feel that if the university application was a bit more personal, things would be better...

Loads of my friends missed their offer by 2-3 grades and still got into their course and uni of choice. Good for them, I just feel bad for the people that had similar results 2 years ago who wouldn't have had a hope getting in. It's all about supply and demand...

The reason more people who miss their offers are being accepted is to do with this new policy which allows universities to accept unlimited numbers of applicants who achieve ABB, above or equivalent, without being fined for doing so.

It's to ensure that 'first class' unis fill up sufficiently, leaving 'second class' universities with plenty of spaces for clearing for those who do not achieve ABB+, giving everyone a better chance of getting in. Obviously, it is up to these 'first class' universities as to whether they want to accept someone who hasn't achieved their offer or if they want to go into clearing to see if students with higher grades take those places. (Hope this explanation doesn't offend anyone, it is merely how it was explained to me)

Although a uni goes into clearing, that does not mean they will accept ABB. My friend had AAB and Durham didn't want her!

Clearing vacancies are also adjustment vacancies and adjustment is for when students do much better than they expected and have the opportunity to get into a better university, therefore may be applying to places like Durham with the typical entry requirements.

Clearing can mean someone held an AAA offer elsewhere and they missed this, achieving AAB (or A*AA down to AAA). Many well qualified students end up in clearing too.

I'm very glad I didn't have to go through clearing, it's a messy process! But I was very concerned I would be and so made sure I was fully prepared for how it works.

If you call up, they ask you a load of questions and if they want to give you an offer, it'll be verbal over the phone and is only guaranteed for a certain period which varies for every uni! You then have that time to decide and add it to track. Only add it to track if they give you a verbal offer though otherwise you'll get an immediate decline. The earlier you do it the better but if someone gets a few verbal offers and doesn't accept the offer where you want to go, that space might open up again.

It's at the discretion of admissions to accept you below their typical entry requirements. Best to call up and ask! I called several admissions departments last year, they're always very helpful!

Well, I went and got my GCSE results today, and I am pleased with the results that I got, some of them much better than I expected!

Personal and Social Development (Citizenship) - Pass
BTEC Sport - Distinction *
Music - B
Religious Studies - C
Science - A
Geography - C
English Language - B
English Literature - B

I done well this year and passed my English even though I had little time to prepare for Lit as I was re-sitting Lang!

Hope everyone else got the grades that they want and deserve! :D

Great set of results James :) I'm sure huge congratulations are due for everyone else who got there results too!

I got 9.5 A's and 3 A*s. More importantly the school as a whole got 96% 5 or more A*-C which for a school that was once only getting 11% is excellent, and that we were only predicted 82%. We sure showed statistics who's boss!

Just have to wait for the embarrassing photo to appear in the local paper :P

• 3 weeks later...

Walked into my new 6th Form College I will be spending the next 2 years at.... My God its larger then I was expecting!

I couldn't get the whole school in there (its that big) is a huge chunk to the right as well as abit more the left :P

1209411_507186066037089_526120956_n.jpg

1235276_507185476037148_1184657711_n.jpg

Its so Big I'm going to get lost haha

It reminds more of an american style school. And also the school opened for the first time ever today so its nice and brand new, but for how long I wonder!?