Education (Exam Results)

Paul

In my school (it's a state school) phones are not tolerated anywhere on school premises. Not in lessons or between them. If you are caught they take your phone, you get an after school detention and you get your phone back on the next Thursday. So if it gets confiscated on a Thursday, you'll have to wait a week to get it back.

Anyway, this is very off topic so we should probably stop...

In my school (it's a state school) phones are not tolerated anywhere on school premises. Not in lessons or between them. If you are caught they take your phone, you get an after school detention and you get your phone back on the next Thursday. So if it gets confiscated on a Thursday, you'll have to wait a week to get it back.

Instead of  risking your phone  why don't you wait until after its not like the announcement will only happen at 9 am then after half an hour it vanishes just wait so you won't have to suffer the consequences.

I wish my sons school had that policy.

Have you kids not wondered what would happen if you refused to hand your property over to the teacher?

They would hand you a detention ..... maybe, then all you do is not turn up for it.

imprisoning a child against their will is illegal, these punishments actually mean nothing at all, they can't make you do it.

If you want to look at the announcement on Monday at 9am .... I say go for it, what in all reality is going to happen?

If a teacher told my son that he was not allowed to do something, and I didn't see a problem with it, as long as it isn't illegal of course, I would be going down that school and giving them a good talking to.

- I know that other parents may not agree with me, but what the hell is the harm in doing something that is causing no person any bother?

There is no "punishment"  school can actually force you to do, and if they exclude you because you refused to be imprisoned against your will, well then they are just ruining your education, and can be held accountable for that.

Like Derren Brown himself would say - It is all a matter of perception. - Monday 9am, I will be online, and if you are a fan and want to be as well, then I say why the hell not?

Have you kids not wondered what would happen if you refused to hand your property over to the teacher?

They would hand you a detention ..... maybe, then all you do is not turn up for it.

imprisoning a child against their will is illegal, these punishments actually mean nothing at all, they can't make you do it.

If you want to look at the announcement on Monday at 9am .... I say go for it, what in all reality is going to happen?

If a teacher told my son that he was not allowed to do something, and I didn't see a problem with it, as long as it isn't illegal of course, I would be going down that school and giving them a good talking to.

- I know that other parents may not agree with me, but what the hell is the harm in doing something that is causing no person any bother?

There is no "punishment" school can actually force you to do, and if they exclude you because you refused to be imprisoned against your will, well then they are just ruining your education, and can be held accountable for that.

Like Derren Brown himself would say - It is all a matter of perception. - Monday 9am, I will be online, and if you are a fan and want to be as well, then I say why the hell not?

I've refused to give my phone in to a teacher once. Got an after school. Didn't go. They gave me a 3 hour detention on a Saturday Morning and my mum forced me to go. Not fun.

Anyway, I will try to be there at 9am (if not then just after). Really excited to see what this is going to be [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, this is really fussy but I hate being called a 'kid'. I find it rather patronising. Anyway, back on topic, I was wondering whether this dark ride will be thrilling? On Derren's One Show interview, he said that your body would get jerked around a lot. Personally, I'd prefer a thrilling robocoaster type experience than a more atmospheric trackless experience.

Detentions and confiscations are legal under the Education Act, but this does conflict with Article 6 of the European Human Rights Act which we are a signatory, it is quiet interesting the reaction you get when pointing it out to heads, they usually state that by sending your child to the school you agree to their rules. I personally think mobiles should be banned full stop in schools, if you had brain cancer and you were being operated on, you wouldn't dare allow the surgeon to do his job if he was playing candy crush on his phone while cutting out the tumour, so I don't see why the same principle can't be employed in everyday life when a person is supposed to be concentrating on the work they are doing, phones/tablets are a distraction, they have a time and a place, it drives me nuts when I'm trying to hold down a conversation with someone whose head is in their phone. Having said that I totally agree on Benn's view of schools, they are not there to educate, their sole purpose is to indoctrinate, but the law is the law, if you don't like it, home educate your child like my sister has done... it's funny that yesterday I had a similar conversation with my son's head over homework....

This is totally OT, maybe a mod should transfer these posts to another thread :lol:

I know, but I want to win... :)

I think it's been said by Thorpe that this isn't the last clue, but instead a generic announcement.  And even if it is the last clue, the time at which you submit it won't make you more or less likely to win.  :)

There is no "punishment"  school can actually force you to do, and if they exclude you because you refused to be imprisoned against your will, well then they are just ruining your education, and can be held accountable for that.

Hmm, a very interesting view point, and one I disagree with...

As I'm sure you know, when your child is at school (especially primary / secondary school), the school are in loco parentis.  So, they can do what they want if they believe it is in the student(s)' best interest.  

So, if a teacher believes that a student having their phone out is going to be negatively affecting their learning, then they can act in the student's best interest, and confiscate that phone.  Personally, I think confiscating it for any more than until the end of the lesson is harsh and unnecessary, but that's a different subject matter.  And, of course, there is the question of whether having their phone out actually is negatively affecting their learning, but again, a different subject.

The "imprisoning a child against their free will" is an odd argument.  Many children are of course grounded by their parents, usually against their free will.  So why can't a school do a similar thing, within reason?  

I worry a bit about you saying you'd give a teacher "a good talking to" if you had a difference of opinion.  It sounds very confrontational.  Teachers are there to teach and help children, and what they think is in their best interest.  Of course, have a chat with that teacher, see if a happy medium can be reached.  But just because you don't see a problem with your son doing one thing, it doesn't mean that a teacher can't have a problem with 25 individual students doing it.  

Anyways, this post has been slightly hypothetical and whatnot, and there's no right and wrong answers with these sorts of discussions.  But, on a serious note, I completely agree with Jack - the announcement is still going to be there at 9:01am, 9:30am and 5pm on Monday.  It's no once in a lifetime opportunity or anything.  Just have a bit more patience.  

Yes another bugbear of mine, they said we recommend you purchase your children iPads so they can do their homework online, I said if you want to buy my son an iPad be my guest, but until then he'll either use my £50 android tablet or the 5 year old household PC.

My reputation precedes me when it comes to the local schools, I'm not one of these that goes in and complains when liitleme is shouted at or given a detention by a teacher like some parents (oh boy, some parents are amazing), but I don't let them take the pisswhich they often do.

Bingo! When I went to school the most advanced item anybody had was a pen and ruler, some may have had solar powered calculators, but they were not allowed to be used in leasons, we also had this item called a Walkman, it was a musical item that played a cassette tape, that's a rectangle thing about the size of a modern day phone that stored music on a magnetic tape spooled around two gears, you had to 'record' on the tape in realtime (drag and drop was something you did to smaller kids), and if you were lucky, it also had an FM radio built in, they only started appearing in the final years, my secondary (same one my son goes to), had four computers in the whole school, one in the office and three BBC Micro machines in the computer room.

The walkmans were banned in lessons, if you were caught listening to it, it was taken off you and returned at the end of the day, my form teacher (a wonderful French guy who sadly died a few years after I left outside the school in a road accident) used to let us listen to them in form, or he would play the top 40 recorded from the radio on low volume, but other than hat, no outside 'entertainment' was allowed.

When we went in for the induction evening, I was amazed to find the old library had been converted into classrooms, the school has a library but it's tiny by comparison, and is most classrooms, nearly every desk has a computer of some description on it, all connected to the net, which the kids regularly use proxy servers to get around the school filters.

The school didn't even have a payphone, we had to walk out to the one in town if we wanted to phone our parents, or beg to use the school office one, which they would only let you do in total emergencies, like your arm was hanging off or something. Mobile phones didn't exist, infact you were considered posh if you had a home phone, they were that rare.

I'm sure iPads are very useful, but I won't be buying one, if the school want to, that's up to them, but I won't.

Ha! If any teacher had suggested buying students iPads to the parents of kids at my old secondary (this was only three years ago), they would have had an army of benefit mums at their door using MarkC's argument that some kids could afford it but most couldn't leading to a divide and huge bullying. Phones were banned completely, if found given back at the end of the day and if found again during that week given back at the end of the week. I learned fine, and it was one of the most awful state schools in the area. We had one room of apple macs for the media students that the school advertised at every opportunity as they had been an investment by a huge media company and we were crazily lucky to have any.

I really don't understand this reliance on technology schools are developing, I don't really see how a tablet will help a student learn better, it will just cause distraction as kids find ways of playing games in lessons.

Schools are such crawl places, if he does not have an iPad because of your views he will get bullied

Biggest load of crap I've heard this week, thanks for the chuckles.

If you had read properly what I wrote, you'd understand they recommended them so the children could submit their homework online, it had nothing to do with them saying the children need them to learn, which is utter claptrap, they're not even allowed to take the iPads into school anyway.